Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Engine cylinders- new or used - which would you choose?
Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: October 16, 2020 11:09PM

Have you told Clark's about this?
What was their response?

I did contact Clarks and as always they were very helpful and understanding with my issue. Even though the cylinders were purchased by another customer and supplied to me, they were willing to send me another set. Unfortunately, the new set was not much better than the first and I was on the phone again. They politely commented that I probably did not know how to use a bore gage properly and that was most likely my issue. But hey, I’ve been called worse and I knew I wasn’t talking to a real machinist so I let it go and was able to convince them to send me another set. And again, this set was basically the same as the other two.

I believe they are most likely bored big to eliminate any possibility of being too tight and causing piston galling problems. So, I ended up picking out 6 of the best ones from the three sets and had to call it good even though I was still not real happy with them. Like I said, they are nice cylinders and I think their quality is really good – though they are not torque plate honed - but I would rather hone them myself. I just didn’t have that option at that time.

All in all, I still love Clarks and have been buying parts from them for 40 years and will continue to do so. I appreciate the passion they have for the Corvair just like us and how much they have done to keep parts available. And, they have always been honest and stood behind their products.

Regan Metcalf
Portland, OR

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 17, 2020 06:11AM

Not to keep beating a dead horse here but for future reference, how much was the taper? Were they at least round?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 17, 2020 06:55AM

REM654DPG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you told Clark's about this?
> What was their response?
>
> I did contact Clarks and as always they were very helpful and understanding with my issue. Even though the cylinders were purchased by another customer and supplied to me, they were willing to send me another set. Unfortunately, the new set was not much better than the first and I was on the phone again. They politely commented that I probably did not know how to use a bore gage properly and that was most likely my issue. But hey, I’ve been called worse and I knew I wasn’t talking to a real machinist so I let it go and was able to convince them to send me another set. And again, this set was basically the same as the other two.
>
> I believe they are most likely bored big to eliminate any possibility of being too tight and causing piston galling problems. So, I ended up picking out 6 of the best ones from the three sets and had to call it good even though I was still not real happy with them. Like I said, they are nice cylinders and I think their quality is really good – though they are not torque plate honed - but I would rather hone them myself. I just didn’t have that option at that time.
>
> All in all, I still love Clarks and have been buying parts from them for 40 years and will continue to do so. I appreciate the passion they have for the Corvair just like us and how much they have done to keep parts available. And, they have always been honest and stood behind their products.

That's all interesting and I gotten some stuff from Clarks that I considered not acceptable and they would budge. Overall I am very happy with the products and services they off.

This makes me wonder about GM NOS cylinders. I never had a set to measure. Being mass produced, how close were they. Even if they were perfect many ran over 100K miles in a well maintained car.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.