Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Oil temp on LM Turbos
Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: October 15, 2020 04:26PM

One more picture. Hard to see but oiliness on compressor cover.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: October 16, 2020 07:59PM

It looks like most of the oil problem might be on the hot side. Theres a ring that goes into the shaft on that side into a groove in the housing... leaks there usually mean that ring wasnt inserted right or the groove in the housing is worn. What is weird though, is the compressor housing looks kinda like the compressor may have contacted it in one spot if the "shiny" marks have a matching spot on the compressor that might be something to look into. My compressor had a light film of oil all the way through it before doing the air oil separator trick, and had about as much oil at the exit as yours does. I think my carbon seal is going on 20 years worth of driving now, doesn't seem to be any worse than when I put that turbo on in 2004!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: October 16, 2020 08:14PM

jetcat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Phil, it's a modified YH as a throttle body. No fuel flows through the YH or turbo. Injected at the base of the stock intake crossover.
>
> One thing I found is the small crankcase vent tube (recently replaced with repo) to the turbo has a 0.10" diameter orifice. I found out it should be 0.089". Not sure if that makes much difference.

It sure doesnt sound like much of a difference, but the repro does have 26% more area than stock! it might very well be sending a considerable amount (perhaps as much as 26%) more oil out of the tube, and oiling the intake a lot more than the stock tube does. Thats interesting, I've kinda wondered if I could improve my ventilation system by opening that orfice up but was afraid to try it... looks like someone tried it out already and didnt tell anyone!

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 17, 2020 07:05AM

63turbo Wrote:
> jetcat Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Yes Phil, it's a modified YH as a throttle body. No fuel flows through the YH or turbo. Injected at the base of the stock intake crossover.
> >
> > One thing I found is the small crankcase vent tube (recently replaced with repo) to the turbo has a 0.10" diameter orifice. I found out it should be 0.089". Not sure if that makes much difference.
>
> It sure doesnt sound like much of a difference, but the repro does have 26% more area than stock! it might very well be sending a considerable amount (perhaps as much as 26%) more oil out of the tube, and oiling the intake a lot more than the stock tube does. Thats interesting, I've kinda wondered if I could improve my ventilation system by opening that orfice up but was afraid to try it... looks like someone tried it out already and didnt tell anyone!

Did you ever think about pulling it from the turbo, then using a "Y" splitter, then connecting each line to the existing vacuum ports on the heads.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: October 17, 2020 07:47AM

Kevin, the compressor scraping you noted is the problem. It also scraped on the hot side. Something I've seen many times when I use to repair jet engines.

Unfortunately many of my suspicions became obvious when I took the heat shield spring pressure off the turbo rotor assembly. You could rock the rotor assembly by about 1/4" up and down. Turbo is junk...... Shft happens! Well I wanted to test the FI without boost. Now I have a dummy turbocharger that I can do that with drinking smiley.

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Date: October 17, 2020 07:51AM

>
> Did you ever think about pulling it from the turbo, then using a "Y" splitter, then connecting each line to the existing vacuum ports on the heads.

I may have, but it was only for a couple of seconds... with it like that, the crankcase is pressurized every time it goes into boost, and when the throttle is chopped after boost, the system wont be able to get caught back up. The existing system works well except that most of the time most of the air that is drawn through that orifice is actually coming from the air cleaner side of the ventilation tube. If it had a good one way valve on the air cleaner part, then the crankcase would be in partial vacuum most of the time... boost would then only bring the crankcase closer to atmospheric pressure, when the throttle is chopped the turbo would be a vacuum pump. To get it to work properly though, I think there needs to be a "variable" orifice on that tube so it can admit more gases as the throttle is opened and closed.

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Date: October 17, 2020 09:23AM

jetcat Wrote:
> Kevin, the compressor scraping you noted is the problem. It also scraped on the hot side. Something I've seen many times when I use to repair jet engines.
>
> Unfortunately many of my suspicions became obvious when I took the heat shield spring pressure off the turbo rotor assembly. You could rock the rotor assembly by about 1/4" up and down. Turbo is junk...... Shft happens! Well I wanted to test the FI without boost. Now I have a dummy turbocharger that I can do that with drinking smiley.

Ouch!! double Ouch!! I was wondering why your head temps seeemed so high compared to mine... everytime the compressor touches the housing the exhaust is more blocked and makes it run hotter! It will run a hell of a lot cooler once the turbo is fixed and you get your oiling in the intake under control. Note also that when it is adding oil to the intake, it will cause the O2 sensor readings to go really rich, but you might not be supplying enough gasoline!!
A neat way to do your tuning with the SDS with the turbo operating and not letting it go into boost is to get the car rolling, then stick it in 4rth at 25 miles an hour, then put the throttle to the floor, and let the car accelerate really slowly, with the idea that you are going to keep it pinned until it gets to 2psi. Once it gets to 2psi, let the throttle off, go pull over on the side of the road, and go look at the rpm fuel numbers. There will be O2 sensor readings for every rpm it hit during your slow acceleration test. This part might be a little different with your unit than mine, but the big thing is to readjust all of the rpm fuel settings until they read something like 12.5:1. DO NOT mess with manifold pressure numbers until all of the rpm fuel numbers are set correctly!!

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.