Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corsa Clock And Boost Gauge -- Replacement Ideas?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 13, 2020 09:21AM

As everyone knows, I hate to take out my instrument cluster. But I also hate wasted space in a perfectly good such and such. I have brought my Tach and Temperature gauges back to life, now it is time to finally figure out these last two.

With the clock, I have no interest in replacing it with a stock one. I thought I did, but the longer I go with it broken the less I miss it. What sort of gauge would the distinguished members of this fine group recommend to put in that spot, instead? Something that isn't a clock is what I'm saying. Something useful, or at least fun.

My boost gauge "works," but that's about all I can say. It is after-market but doesn't fit quite right and reads even less right. I know boost is occurring but when and how much remains a mystery. Actually that sounds like it doesn't work at all. Everything is fine, the vacuum is there, I just need to deal with that gauge (again). I will take a stock one there if needed, but are there any other ideas? If anyone is trying to sell something for either of these instruments I welcome pitches.

Thanks all. Today is an Amazon deal day, so suggestions ASAP will help.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corsa Clock And Boost Gauge -- Replacement Ideas?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 13, 2020 09:33AM

For the street a stock boost / vacuum gauge is fine! Replace the clock with a Voltmeter!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 13, 2020 09:33AM

I vote for oil pressure.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 13, 2020 09:35AM

You can add a quartz movement to your clock from Clarks and it will run as intended.

Boost gauge? It sounds as if you aren't certain your gauge is working so I would suggest checking the reference hose through the car to ensure no plugging OR breaks. Then check gauge to see if it works with both vacuum as well as pressure.

You need very minimal air pressure to test gauge only 5-8psi.

That would restore your gauges to 'stock' appearing. If gauge faces don't match the instrument panel looks 'funny' in my opinion only.

OR buy all fresh instruments from Seth and use his mounting bracket adapters. Contact Seth for more help.

Good luck with your choices.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 13, 2020 11:44AM

Hey Steve, I just checked the date for the Corsa Clock I bought you for parts clock that turned out to be better than the one I was working on. That was 3 1/2 years ago. A good cleaning and oiling and diode mod. Now its still keeping perfect time. I don't disconnect it for the winter. Thanks again.

Sometimes my boost gauge gets a little stuck after it sits over the winter. If I exercise it by quickly going back and forth between and pressure and vacuum source it gets working fine. 15 PSI should give a full 30 inches.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: October 13, 2020 12:16PM

Yes. My old stock gauge was broken, and this new boost gauge doesn't have one-tenth the range of the old one. That's why I'm asking if anyone has a stock boost gauge or a suggestion about an alternative.

And working or not, I don't want the clock anymore. Don't really need it in 2020 anyway. So I was wondering what others have replaced it with, and where to buy such things.

MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 13, 2020 12:21PM

Factory boost gauges

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 13, 2020 01:42PM

I made a plate and installed an additional head temperature gauge. Nice to have a gauge for each head - not necessary, but nice to do.

Attachments:
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: October 13, 2020 02:24PM

Hi Eric,
Like 66vairman's plan, I'm about 1/3 the way through rebuilding a Corsa instrument cluster with dual cylinder head temp gages. Just got them back from being rebuilt/calibrated, want to be able to install the cluster when I'm done and not worry about them. I think I have a couple boost gages you're welcome to for the postage. I plan to replace mine with a mid-year ('65-'67) Corvette oil pressure gage. It's also available in an 80psi version.

[www.zip-corvette.com]

The company that did the temp gages does (gage) facial restorations as well, so I'm thinking about asking them to paint over the numbers and "OIL" on the Corvette unit, and transfer them to lens, to better match the other Corsa gages. Stole the pointer off a boost gage so it can be used on the oil pressure gage. Holed out the lens over the clock, and ground/filed a tach lens down to fit in its place over the oil pressure gage.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: October 13, 2020 02:27PM

Whoops, that should read holed out the lens over the boost gage; clock lens was replaced with another lens showing temperature.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: October 13, 2020 06:30PM

I have a really nice, Autometer manifold pressure gauge that reads in inches of mercury for vacuum and psi for boost, and bought it at our local Carquest. I also got a Autometer oil pressure gauge from the same place, both work well, and were reasonably priced.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: mspeters ()
Date: October 14, 2020 12:10PM

I added a dual oil temp / pressure gauge from westach in place of the clock. Works great.
CC link

Scroll towards the bottom...

Matt Peterson
Ada, MI
65 corsa vert 180hp

Date: October 17, 2020 12:21AM

Thanks guys these are great. Feel free to keep them coming!

Scott, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I need it. Had another possible source.

THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.