Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Just "almost" got scammed???
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 12, 2020 06:55PM

Was at the Spectrum Cable tv store this morning to change my Cable lineup, and talk about possible Cell service

Tonight Got TEXT SAYING FROM SPECTRUM, FOR A SURVEY with a chance to win an iPhone 11s

Took the realistic looking survey....then checkedd to see what I won....yup! the 11s.

It states up front $19.95 shipping...and then info...Only when it came to pay and would only take Visa's!....did I realize!!! All they got was my email

I use MC and PayPal

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 11:21AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Just "almost" got scammed???
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:09PM

Matt, they know your old and rich, may as well put a bullseye on you back.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:20PM

If they'd got my Visa number...they wouln't think so.... $7k limit.....in the 70's that was enough to buy most new cars or a private aircraft. Never allowed the CU to raise it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 12, 2020 07:37PM

But,.... but.... Matt!!

It's an IPhone!! soon to bo "so Yesterday"!!

It has Artifical Intelligence so you no longer need yours!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 12, 2020 07:46PM

Nothing wrong with Visa or MC, we have them both. but we use Discover for almost everything. Their fraud prevention is way better than the others. They just sent me message that one of my recurring payments just went up. The first time I fill the RV with gas on trip , they contact me. Are you guys on the road again, what states , when do you expect to be home. Filling the RV usually requires a double swipes as many gas stations stop your fill at $75. Its always someone who speaks the same language as me with clarity. I also have an approve limit for less than $5, the folks that hijack your CC usually try a low dollar transaction with I tunes or something like that so they can show its a good # then sell it. Our son claims the phone customer service is mostly Mormon house wives working from home.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:49PM

I've gotten several of those from "Verizon".
The tip-off for me?
They expected me to "Click here" to go to this website.

I don't have a smart phone (just a flip phone!).

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 13, 2020 07:28AM

I have seen that also. But I'm a dinosaur. As long as the pigeons keep flying, I don't need a new I-phone!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 13, 2020 07:54AM

My Capital One card gives me 1.99% back on everything and also alerts me when a "normal" charge is more that usual. It also alerts me to every charge over a certain amount I set. The have a fairly simple system to assign different card numbers to each purchase if I want to so that it that number is a problem I just turn it off.
Fraud has never been an issue with any card I've ever had. I just call them and they take off the charge.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: October 13, 2020 10:36AM

While slightly off the off topic anytime my credit card would need to leave my presence I pay cash (like at a restaurant). 15+ years ago I was at Pick Your Part. The guy at the window said something about needing to "process" my card, closed the window and came back a minute or so later. It seemed a bit strange but after a full day of pulling parts and wanting to get home I shrugged it off.

Two days later my wife gets a call from the credit card company asking I we had just purchased perfume and a Canon camera. The card company took care of it but I don't let my card leave my presence after that. These companies are pretty smart. Like if you bought tickets to London and then at that travel time they know to expect you will be using your card there. In my case above likely two people tried to use the card number from two different geographical locations at similar times.

Posted by: 4speedoverdrive ()
Date: October 13, 2020 01:04PM

I was not so lucky, a couple of years ago I was traveling and needed to get from Minneapolis/St Paul airport to Eau Claire, WI. There is a local ride service that runs a van from the airport to EC. They provide good service at a reasonable price. They had a web site where you could purchase tickets and make reservations. I visited the web site and made a reservation and then paid for the trip using a credit card. After completing the transaction I get a message that I must input the credit card information as it did not go through. Note that I am still on the ride service web site.

A couple of days later I was called by the bank asking if I had charged $1812. for tickets in Belorussia. Of course I hadn't made that charge and the Bank reimbursed my CC, although I think the bank may have taken a hit for that amount.

I'm guessing that the someone hacked the ride service web site and was getting the CC information by asking you to enter it again. This was a small local operation and I would guess they did not have the most sophisticated internet security. I talked to them and they claimed to not be aware of a problem.

Anyway a word to the wise, if you are dealing with a small business web site and are asked to repeat the data input you may want to give your bank a heads up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 01:13PM by 4speedoverdrive.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 13, 2020 01:28PM

At one time I had several credit cards but in recent years I have reduced that number to only one card that has a decent limit.
They have offered to up the limit on several occasions but I always decline.
In the past year or two, I have finally gotten to the point that I pay the balance each month plus a little more to credit toward the following month.
If I have a $251.29 balance, I will send them $300.00 which also makes writing the check and balancing the checkbook easier for me too.
It is only when my charges for the month exceed $1,000.00 that it gets tough to write that check.
About fifteen years ago, I used the card to purchase a car because it was more convenient at the time. It got paid on the next statement.(Under $10K)

The only issue with the credit card I have is when I am traveling and fill my tank more than twice in the same day in different states.
If I need to fill the tank a third time in the same day, the card gets declined which is an inconvenience.
I have made this same trip twice a year to the same destination for several years and think the companies technology would be advanced enough to realize the pattern.
Now I make sure my tank is full the night before heading out and only need to fill the tank twice during the same day.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 01:32PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 13, 2020 01:56PM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At one time I had several credit cards but in recent years I have reduced that number to only one card that has a decent limit.
> They have offered to up the limit on several occasions but I always decline.
> In the past year or two, I have finally gotten to the point that I pay the balance each month plus a little more to credit toward the following month.
> If I have a $251.29 balance, I will send them $300.00 which also makes writing the check and balancing the checkbook easier for me too.
> It is only when my charges for the month exceed $1,000.00 that it gets tough to write that check.
> About fifteen years ago, I used the card to purchase a car because it was more convenient at the time. It got paid on the next statement.(Under $10K)
>
> The only issue with the credit card I have is when I am traveling and fill my tank more than twice in the same day in different states.
> If I need to fill the tank a third time in the same day, the card gets declined which is an inconvenience.
> I have made this same trip twice a year to the same destination for several years and think the companies technology would be advanced enough to realize the pattern.
> Now I make sure my tank is full the night before heading out and only need to fill the tank twice during the same day.

I solved the Credit Card problem years ago with one simple decision.
NO credit cards!
Cash payments for everything. ( and like Andrea does with her credit cards, I over pay my utilities each month with an even number.)
With the exception of my Mortgage, I am completely Debt Free.
I don't have much in this world, but what I have is 100% mine.
When I was regularly driving ALL OVER this country, I ran into the same issue with a card being shut down for too many fuel uses, in too many states, in one day.
I cured that real quick.
I added an Auxiliary Fuel Tank. (a large one cool smiley )
40 gallon factory tank on the truck.
100 gallon tank in the bed. thumbs up
And 6 extra Jerry cans, for good measure. smiling bouncing smiley
I rarely filled up more than once a day after that. winking smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 13, 2020 07:29PM

I just call a few credit card companies before I start my trips and let them know of my travels.

No need to carry large amounts of cash unless buying a car.

My family likes to stay in hotels. Do they even take cash anymore?confused smiley

And who has time to go inside and prepay with cash to get fuel, then go back inside to get the change?confused smiley I doubt I have spent cash for fuel in over 15 years. That's probably way over 300k miles. Of course, since I get cash back, it is CHEAPER to not use cash!thumbs up

Now, you want to talk loyalty cards too? I willingly trade "them" knowing what I buy for saving money. I don't buy anything I need to hide.....smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 13, 2020 07:51PM

We all have different views.
When I said that I pay cash, I really meant $CASH$.
I do not use my Debit card except for things like my Clark's Orders, and other things that I just have no choice about.
Like Frank, "I don't buy anything I need to hide," either, BUUUUUT,
I do not like the idea of my spending habits being watched by the Bank, the Card Company, and who ever they sell info to.
Inconvenient?
Not in the slightest, but you have to understand that where I live, going to the Bank, Grocery Store, Post Office, Hardware store, or even the Gas Station is a big social event! smiling bouncing smiley
(By the way, I just listed EVERY business we have here. grinning smiley )
Going inside to pay is half the experience!
I have so little distance to drive, that a Fill-Up in the car can last MORE than a MONTH!
A full tank on the truck can last SEVERAL MONTHS!
Picture living 150 years in the past, and how the Pot-bellied Woodstove in the General Store was the center of the universe.
Well, that is my community.
We make Mayberry look like a Metropolis! grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: October 14, 2020 05:19AM

We pay everything with CC except tips and a few places that don't take cards. Doctors, utility, fuel, dentist, car repairs, tires. I get from one to to 5 percent back on all my purchases with zero fee cards. Even my PP goes through my CC. Right now the CD rate is 1/2 percent or less and forget about bank accounts. They may soon be charging you to keep your money, its happening in Europe right now. I got all of our cards replaced with touchless, so thats one less thing you need to touch. Just tell them your old card is damaged.

With the Covid thing many places wouldn't even take cash and some that did had a notice that you would not get change. Unlike some of you, Covid got pretty bad here for a while because I live less than 90 miles from NYC. The drowning rats came over here to live with relatives. It was getting much better now, but now the colleges are opening. We have 5 of them in our area. One of them had over 250 cases last week.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: October 14, 2020 06:19AM

I think I know a few good tricks and then you guys reveal a few I didn't know about. Thanks!

We use no-fee CC's but always pay in full each month and have made use of the miles many times for flights. When I travel international I just go to the CC website and fill out the form so they know where my card might show up.

My best CC hack is the miles and fuel points you can earn when buying gift cards at the local grocer for basic things you would be buying anyway. I wait until they offer 4x the fuel points and then purchase gift cards for any upcoming purchases using my credit card. The fuel points let us deduct up to $1 per gallon for fuel ($35 gallon max at one purchase) and in the last 6 years we've saved a minimum of $70 a month on fuel and in some months it has saved as much as $175. That's over $1000 a year real cash saved on fuel plus we get the mileage on the CC.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 14, 2020 09:02AM

Several years ago when I first got my 1.99% back card I calculated the return with various airline miles and fuel cards and they were all less return. Later Sam's CC started offering 5% back on fuel so I've been using that combined with Shell's reward club that gives another 5 cents off per gallon. What percentage are you getting on the fuel?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 14, 2020 09:23AM

I didn't see anyone mention it, but ONLY credit cards are required by law to refund charges you DID NOT make. Debit cars were exempted from this law. Most Debit card companies do refund bad charges, but some DO NOT. A buddy got hit for about $400.00 when his debit card number was stolen and the Debit card company said "Sorry, not our problem since you didn't report the card as stolen". Of course his card was NOT physically stolen, just the number.

I have NO Debit cards!!!

The worst go round was a charge made to my credit card by phone to Walmart. A $500.00 T.V. When I called the bank they took the charge off. Then I got a letter from FedX saying to call them if I DID NOT open a special shipping account. I didn't and they said someone had opened the account in with my name and credit card and had a item "re-routed" before delivery to my address (the T.V.). I told them I did not open the account and my card number was being used illicitly and FedX closed the account. My bank closed my card and sent me a new one.

Then the jerks at Walmart called and I explained all this to them. Then they called again, and again, asking if I had received the T.V. Finally I told them they were harassing me and my next call was going to be to a lawyer. They never called again.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: October 14, 2020 09:30AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What percentage are you getting on the fuel?

I don't get a percentage back on my CC for fuel purchases but I'm buying fuel at $1.20 per gallon when everyone else is paying $2.20.

Example:
I needed to purchase a $1000 appliance from Home Depot so I went to Fry's Grocery and bought four $250 HD gift cards on a day when Fry's had a promo of 4X fuel points. That purchase got me 1000 miles on my CC and 4000 fuel points on my Fry's account.

I bought what I needed at HD and then with the 4000 fuel points I was able to purchase up to 140 gallons of fuel at $1 per gallon below the pump price. That was a full $140 savings on fuel plus I paid for the fuel with my CC and got another 168 miles.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 14, 2020 09:37AM

I didn't see anyone mention it, but ONLY credit cards are required by law to refund charges you DID NOT make. Debit cars were exempted from this law.

Exactly why I do not want a debit card. I left Wells Fargo because they wanted me to get a debit card so they could "identify" me. I said here is my face, the bank you took over (originally Southern Bank) had tellers that recognized me. And I carry a driver's licence. Close my account!angry smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.