Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Why to replace the pilot bushing
Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: October 11, 2020 07:08PM

Hi Every one

I have been gone for a few months. But I'm back.

I am building my 174ci 2.85L motor and I went to replace the pilot bushing. As you can see in the pictures it was very badly abused. That had to be very noisy. The ID of the bushing is .683" and the input shaft OD is .585". There wasn't enough meat to hook the slide hammer to. I have to cut it out with a Dremel tool.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why to replace the pilot bushing
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 11, 2020 09:31PM

BTW did you check the bushing to see if is porous bronze "Oilite", or a bronze steel alloy?

This is why I don't rev the engine with the car stopped, in gear, with the clutch in. At least I stopped doing it when I had to fix my own cars - LOL.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: October 12, 2020 01:16AM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> or a bronze steel alloy?
>

Hah, I did not think of that. Does not really look like a silicon bronze (GM) bushing.

Actually, you are lucky. Decades ago, a local club Corvair mechanic used the bronze steel bushing.

He had to redo a couple clutch jobs (not many miles) after they started squealing.

Except, the end of the input shaft was eroded / worn, so that needed replacing, also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 01:17AM by RobertC.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 12, 2020 04:04AM

While everyone poo-poo's the aftermarket bushing it is what I have used for years with no issues. Not only in my cars but customers also so it is not just my driving style.

What I learned a long time ago is to clean, YES clean, the bushings and then re-oil them and store in oil.

How do you re-oil an oilite bushing? After it is cleaned and dried you stand the bushing on your finger, pour oil inside of it to almost overflowing, then put your thumb over top and squeeze with both hands until it hurts and the oil will start to ooze out through the sides, you might even see bubbles first! Have a small zip lock bag ready and then let the excess oil and the bushing drop in the bag. You will want to double bag!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 12, 2020 10:26AM

If the old P Bushing is that warn, I would recommend checking the input shaft for wear and gulling.

At one time there was roller bearing replacement. Those proved to be high failure, even in the Ford's that they came standard with.

Corventue Dave

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 12, 2020 12:10PM

When my first pilot went the car was less than four years old. I had know idea what was causing the noise. I was in Waterloo Iowa at the time, nearly 1000 miles from. The winter was so cold that my room mate and I would start our cars everyday and switch back and forth for the local drive. I went to a local large Chevy dealer, they let me speak to there Corvair specific mechanic. He knew what it was before he even heard my car. Said it was the pilot and he seen a bunch of them go bad that winter. He was pretty sure it was caused by the bushing oil not flowing during the extreme cold starts. That would cause the wear to begin and would only get worse from from there on. It made sense to then as it does now, but I'm sure that was only one of the reasons for failure.

I have posted the Pic of the repair site before. First nice weekend to have at it with the tools Woody and I had Plus a SM. I feel those big stumps were as safe as jack stands, the blocks with 2x4 was just to keep the suspension and the front of the hanging engine up some. We pulled the trany/diff with no mechanical help, just two young guys laying their back.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:
Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: October 12, 2020 12:21PM

Dave

I bought the crank shaft from a friend and do not know what the input shaft looked like.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: October 12, 2020 01:09PM

thumbs up smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: October 12, 2020 05:47PM

What the consequences if the pilot bushing goes out? This post is making me think twice about a noise I've had since I have owned the car.
Thanks,

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Date: October 12, 2020 06:18PM

I could describe the noise as an elephant that was shot in the balls the a BB gun. Its starts as a squeal when the clutch pedal is down, it will often get worse when engaging. Once in high gear its OK, but that will get worse as the disc will get off center, it may also take out the seal in the trans snout and you will than have oil on the disc. Sometimes when it warms up the noise will be less for a while.

If its more of a rattling, knocking or thumping sound, its most likely flywheel rivets.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: October 12, 2020 06:34PM

I was introduced to the sound of a shot pilot bushing on my first Corvair... let the clutch out a little too quick in first and it would make a "eek eek" sound and not do it if the clutch was let out a little more slowly/carefully. I asked the former owner of the car about that weird noise, and he told me what it most likely was. Some time later, I popped the engine out, and one of the items to be dealt with was that shot bushing. I replaced it and the noise went away. After that, no matter what, if the engine came out for any reason, I replaced that bushing, because I hated that screechy noise so much. I've replaced a lot of bushings prematurely!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 12, 2020 06:46PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While everyone poo-poo's the aftermarket bushing it is what I have used for years with no issues. Not only in my cars but customers also so it is not just my driving style.
>

The only complaints here I've read about were about the aftermarket bronze/steel pilot bushings at some FLAPS, not the aftermarket bronze Oilite type pilot bushing.

Did I miss something?

Date: October 12, 2020 07:08PM

63turbo Wrote:
. I've replaced a lot of bushings prematurely!!

Same here, for what that thing costs and PIA to get to it. My first experience was enough for me. Wondering if my car could make the 1000 mile trip home was worse that the squeal which loud enough that pedestrians were looking around for the source of the noise when I took off.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.