Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Deciphering what is OEM and what is not on this car... confused smiley
Posted by: ShaneM ()
Date: October 11, 2020 02:10PM

Hello all,

I am looking at a well-taken care of 1966 Monza Convertible that was redone 10 years ago and has not been driven since, stored inside and heated. However, there are a few things I'm seeing that are not stock and I want to make sure I am not missing any of them in making a decision on whether to move forward or not. I'd also appreciate everyone else's thoughts on this one as I'm pretty new to shopping for Corvairs and just starting to learn about these beautiful cars.

Here is what I know about this car. Photos at bottom.

[*] Purchased 25 years ago in original color of blue with black interior.
    [*] Painted in Evening Orchid (non-standard color for this model year) and added Monza word badge where Corsa badge would be. I suspect this is from an early 70s Chevy Monza which I really do not like. I do not know if this was glued on or was fastened like the OEM Corsa or Monza badges are
    [*] 110HP Auto with Power top
    [*] Engine redone 10 years ago
    [*] Trans redone 10 years ago
    [*] Paint was bubbling 10 years ago near rocker panels, both were cut completely out and replaced with new, each were 2-piece welded together about 3/8" thick. From what I can tell the owner and the guy who did the body work did not go cheap on this but it's hard to tell how exactly it was done, or I'm not sure how to ask the right questions.
    [*] Body tag is: 66-10567 WRN 1752; 758-WD2MS5Y D-2
    [*] Interior is original but already had accents 25 years ago, replaced 10 years ago to match exterior color
    [*] New carpet
    [*] Exhaust redone 10 years ago, orientation of muffler tailpipe tips may have changed?
    [*] Looks like single DIN radio and I want to put in OEM or Clarks BT radio. Can anyone tell if this was cut out or if I can put in the OEM size and take this aftermarket out?
    [*] Chrome trim at edge of doors and around fuel tank door, which I have seen with some cars but I don't think is original?
    [*] White accent color on rear, not factory option
    [*] White power top replaced 10 years ago. This is a plastic rear window, which
    [*] Car has only been driven about 20 miles since 10 years ago (!!!) and looks immaculate everywhere.

I would appreciate people's thoughts on the Monza badge, the radio, the chrome trim, the tailpipe, the body tag decoding on the part I can't figure out (WD2MS5Y, other than the auto transmission), the rocker panels, and anything else anyone notices...

Pics here: [imgur.com]

Thans!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Deciphering what is OEM and what is not on this car... confused smiley
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 11, 2020 02:34PM

I think the Monza badge looks great and that style is held in place by foam tape.

Not much of a fan of the interior but that's a matter of taste.

The door edge guard and gas door edge guard look to be the original accessory pieces. The rear air grille trim is a Corsa item but a nice upgrade.

If the dash has been cut for a DIN radio, it's going to take some welding or a fabricated sheet metal adapter to put a stock radio in place.

758-WD2MS5Y D-2 decodes to:

758 = black vinyl bucket seat

Option group 1:
W = Tinted windshield
D = Power convertible top

Group 2:
M = automatic transmission
S = rear antenna

Group 5:
Y = F&R deluxe seatbelts with retractors

D = Mist Blue
2 = Black convertible top

It looks to be a very nice car. Interior and exterior colors (and price of course) will determine if it's the car for you. If you're good with the color scheme, I don't see any red flags otherwise.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: October 11, 2020 02:51PM

The door panels / seat upholstery is not original.

The white cove is not original - should be same color as body.

Monza badge is from the 70’s Monza.

Door edge guards and fuel door are Corvair accessories.

Mufflers / tips are not original stock, but are fine. Think you can buy stock replacements from vendors now.

NOt sure about wiring to taillight but most have been replaced by now.

No speakers in doors originally.

Hubcaps are not original.

Looks like the work has been well done.

Date: October 11, 2020 03:00PM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks to be a very nice car. Interior and exterior colors (and price of course) will determine if it's the car for you. If you're good with the color scheme, I don't see any red flags otherwise.

Thanks for your thoughts! I actually Do not mind the interior. I prefer the original white vinyl but I’m otherwise okay with it. I am concerned it will make the car hard to sell down the line, however.

The owner says they did not cut the dash to make this radio fit but I question her memory on this one. I thought it wasn’t possible to fit a standard new radio without cutting the dash. Am I wrong on this?

Glad to know I can remove the Monza badges and go back to stock.

Date: October 11, 2020 03:01PM

Thank you Robert.

RobertC Wrote:
> The door panels / seat upholstery is not original.
>
> The white cove is not original - should be same color as body.
>
> Monza badge is from the 70’s Monza.
>
> Door edge guards and fuel door are Corvair accessories.
>
> Mufflers / tips are not original stock, but are fine. Think you can buy stock replacements from vendors now.
>
> NOt sure about wiring to taillight but most have been replaced by now.
>
> No speakers in doors originally.
>
> Hubcaps are not original.
>
> Looks like the work has been well done.

Date: October 11, 2020 03:05PM

Also please see notes for engine work. So this was a 95 that was rebuilt as a 110?

See here - [imgur.com]

Date: October 11, 2020 03:20PM

The notes also reference a 65 engine at 95hp so maybe the engine does not match?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 11, 2020 03:58PM

ShaneM Wrote:
>. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> The owner says they did not cut the dash to make this radio fit but I question her memory on this one. I thought it wasn’t possible to fit a standard new radio without cutting the dash. Am I wrong on this?
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have seen some installed by simply bending the "tabs" out of the way.
Not ideal for returning to original, but still better than cutting.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 11, 2020 04:15PM

Actually it's easy / no harm!

Gently bend the lowr tabs back and file SMALL nothhes in corners just enough to get a single DIN gage installed. Stock bezel covers the notches!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 11, 2020 07:01PM

Hard to say what you have. 110 badge on deck lid.

Receipt says a 95 up engine was rebuilt and installed.

The engine number - on the block in front of the oil fill tube will give a clue.
Tnnnnxx.

But you probably need to get the part number off the heads to tell for sure.

Info inFAQs and the first pages of Clark’s online catalog.

Date: October 12, 2020 01:22AM

I should add the difference between a 95 hp and a 110 hp engine is the heads (and distributor).

The 95 hp heads are lower compression. People here state that you can use regular gas in a 95 hp engine.

Obviously, with the slightly larger pistons, the cam (and dual exhausts), the engine might make a little more than 95 hp. But, IMO, it is not a 110 hp engine without the 110 heads.

Date: October 12, 2020 02:12AM

Another comment:

Since you express a desire to go back to the original 66 - 69 Monza badges:

Before doing so, you should remove the kick panel door (or the whole kick panel) to check where the weld seam is.

The stock badge has two pins (two holes) and I would not want to drill thru the seam of the weld to reinstall them.

From the pictures, this seems to be a really nice car. But, if your goal is a stock Corvair (more valuable at this point in time), you should be able to do better (possibly pay more).

Good luck.

Date: October 12, 2020 07:54AM

Thanks Robert. It does appear that this engine is not only not the original engine to the car (1965 vintage in a 66 body at least per the receipt/notes) but that it's a suped-up 95HP not a real 110 HP, as you point out using the 95HP heads still results in the lower combustion pressure than the 110HP heads would. By modifying the stroke and reducing downstream pressure via the dual exhaust clearly the HP would be boosted but I do not have enough experience with any ICE's to have a feel for how much. Either way, probably not up to 110HP and regardless, it's not a 110HP as is listed.

Thank you for your suggestion on replacing the original Monza badge. I will keep that in mind and I can always devise an alternative method (adhesive) to bond it in place after grinding down the posts, if absolutely need be.

Also I sent you a PM. Thanks.

RobertC Wrote:
> I should add the difference between a 95 hp and a 110 hp engine is the heads (and distributor).
>
> The 95 hp heads are lower compression. People here state that you can use regular gas in a 95 hp engine.
>
> Obviously, with the slightly larger pistons, the cam (and dual exhausts), the engine might make a little more than 95 hp. But, IMO, it is not a 110 hp engine without the 110 heads.

Date: October 12, 2020 12:12PM

I have one more update with some additional pics of the speedo/odo and the undercarriage including the rocker panel.

[imgur.com]

I know this car is highly personalized with the interior, carpet, door panels especially, which is making it difficult to ascertain a fair market price. Based on speaking to the guy who did the work and the current owner, I feel as confident as I can be, that the work was done well and expenses were not spared. That said, the interior is a major deviation from stock and would clearly affect the price.

So I'm curious if anyone would be willing to hazard a guess for value of this car, assuming there are no "gotchas" hidden under what appears to be a car redone in immaculate condition. I'm considering making an offer and would appreciate any and all opinions.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 12, 2020 12:18PM

Have you seen this car IN PERSON, driven it, and done a thorough inspection?
What is the asking price?

Date: October 12, 2020 12:23PM

Have not seen in person
Have not driven it
Yes I am likely insane, I already know that
Asking $15K.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 12, 2020 12:30PM

If you want it buy it. We suggest seeing the car in person, drive it, and have it inspected (by someone that knows Corvairs). If car is not close to you, drive or fly there to do this inspection. Or have someone local to it inspect it.
Where are you? Where is the car located?

Date: October 12, 2020 12:36PM

Tim, car is in Northern OH, I am in Central CA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.