Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Starter problems...
Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: October 11, 2020 06:32AM

This 'saga' is a bit long.. My apologies and I appreciate your patience...

Original starter began to have issue engaging the flywheel on an intermittent basis. Problem seemed to be getting worse and not wanting to damage the ring gear I ordered a rebuilt starter from one of our vendors. The best one they carry. New almost everything..

That's where the problems begin...

Installation of the new starter went without issue BUT when trying to start the car, there is only a faint click. AND the dash lights would go out. Tried turning on the headlights and trying to start the car and the headlights go very dim.

Thinking somehow the less than year old battery somehow failed (?) I pulled a known good battery and tried it but got the same results.

At that point I felt the battery cable and it was HOT. Not burn your fingers hot, but very warm. Especially since I wasn't trying to start the car that long.

Ok, seems like the new starter has an issue so I pulled it and tried a bench test. Nope...did not work. Not trying to usual way by activating the solenoid, and not by connecting the 12vdc directly to the starter itself. A lot of sparking indicating considerable current being drawn...

At that point I had a choice, take it apart and risk voiding the warranty or invest more $$ returning it. I opted for a quick, careful disassembly.

I couldn't find ANYTHING wrong. No evidence of bare or pinched wiring. No evidence of arcing. Zip... the same story with the solenoid.

Put it all back together and now it works.......Cranks strong and fast. figures..

However my luck is still running true and there is a new issue. When the engine starts, it sounds like the started drive, one way clutch is noisy as the engine fires up. (ok maybe not the best description, but the best I can come up with..) It's an odd sound but definitely not the way I am used to a Corvair sounding.
Maybe this is the way the replacement Chinese drives sound?

I guess my questions are... 1) is this sound normal? 2) Would you keep this starter or should I see if they will take it back?

Again, sorry for the long winded post and I do appreciate your input!

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starter problems...
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: October 11, 2020 06:54AM

I would guess the trouble is in the solenoid. I would change it and see what happens.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 11, 2020 11:46AM

You said "However my luck is still running true and there is a new issue. When the engine starts, it sounds like the started drive, one way clutch is noisy as the engine fires up. (ok maybe not the best description, but the best I can come up with..) It's an odd sound but definitely not the way I am used to a Corvair sounding.
Maybe this is the way the replacement Chinese drives sound?"

The one way sprag clutch is to prevent the flywheel from "over speeding" the starter when the engine starts, but the gear is still engaged. It should be a very short time unless you keep the key in the start position.

Without actually hearing the sound this is a wild guess, but it's possible the one-way clutch is not working, or the solenoid is slow to release.

Your initial description of the "jammed", then fine after dismantling starter suggests it was dropped during shipment causing the case to shift and bind the armature. Just pure speculation.

Date: October 12, 2020 08:46AM

So UPDATE..

Replaced both the starter drive and the solenoid in my original starter. Too soon to know if that resolved the intermittent problem with the starter engaging the flywheel but it did cure the funny noise I was hearing from the replacement starter.

I guess it's time to contact the vendor and hopefully send it back....

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 12, 2020 09:17AM

Plus the added benefit of knowing how to replace these 2 items and can talk someone else through it.

Date: October 12, 2020 12:35PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Plus the added benefit of knowing how to replace these 2 items and can talk someone else through it.

There is that. lol! While I already knew how to replace the starter, I have become very proficient at it now.

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 13, 2020 10:22AM

Just so anyone looking up this topic later is aware, my starter made that sound, too. It was rubbing on the starter ring without moving it, and eventually popped the welds. Don't ignore the sounds!

Starter Ring Damage

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.