Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1966 Corvair v8 conversion Kelmark transaxle problem
Posted by: DamonW ()
Date: October 10, 2020 05:09PM

I broke my toy! It started sounding like the differental was binding up, then after troubleshooting by going forward and reverse, it seemed that the teeth broke off on the inside of the ring gear. The outer teeth are fine. I cannot seem to find any info on a replacement part or even any repair advice. Hoping you fellas have some exerience or insight on this. I am trying to incude pictures, just need to figure out how to resize them.

Part# on Kelmark case 3859954
Part# on ring gear 3955508 (I beleive that is the whole number)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1966 Corvair v8 conversion Kelmark transaxle problem
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 10, 2020 05:17PM

Is it a 65 or a 66-69 transaxle?

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: October 10, 2020 06:01PM

I had a Kelmark conversion 1966 Corvair for 16 years and replaced a few transaxles over the years.

My car had the mid engine conversion where the engine sat right behind the front seats.
The transaxle was turned around 180 degrees using an adapter between the small block Chevrolet engine and the stock transaxle.

This conversion ran the ring and pinion backwards on the "coast side" of the gears. Depending on how hard I drove the car and how good the condition of the differential was, I could get six month's or six years out of the differential before needing to replace it again.

I tried different additives to the gear oil with no luck. Some folks said that the synthetic fluids would help while others said not to use them. Everyone had a different opinion on how to make a differential last longer.

Eventually I purchased one of the very few custom made reverse ring and pinion sets that were made by Richmond Gear but never got around to installing it before selling the car. I later sold that set of gears to someone else.

Essentially you have two options.

One would be to find a reverse ring and pinion for the car then verify it was properly hardened before installing it in the car. There were some that were not properly hardened. Do a search here to find more on the topic. I think maybe vairmech has a list of confirmed sets that were properly hardened. I seem to recall that the reverse sets were only available as the 3:27-1 version.

Your second option is to continue replacing the differentials with another stock unit and hope for the best while treating them with care.

There is a third option which would be to source a different transaxle like a ZF from a Pantera, or one of the other brands used by many folks. This would also need research and resources along with patience to accomplish.

IF your car is one with the mid engine conversion, and IF you do not have a spare input shaft, and decide to retain this configuration, I would suggest sourcing a spare input shaft since it was made specifically for this conversion. It works on any 1966-69 Corvair 3 or 4 speed transaxle.
[ssl.corvair.com] [ssl.corvair.com]
Part number C8402: MID ENGINE INPUT SHAFT* *NO GUARANTEE ON THIS SHAFT!! USES C495 SEAL Catalog Page(s): 128,OT-27(RM19),OT-30( RM19)
Price: $ 236.75

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2020 06:02PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 10, 2020 06:24PM

I wonder if spider/axle gears are broken. Do you have 4 spider conversion?
Typically referred to as "4spider carrier"?

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 11, 2020 12:26PM

Welcome to the CCF! A couple of pics from the original engine compartment will really help us know what year transaxle you have.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 13, 2020 12:45PM

Here are a couple pictures to help with the questions. One taken fro the trunk looking down and forward, I don't know if this helps determining the year of it. The other picture is after I took the top cover off, you can see the part#3955508, and just below the 8, in the hole is one of the teeth that broke off inside.

Forward and reverse, the output shaft spins, along with the ring gear on the left.

Attachments:

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: October 13, 2020 01:03PM

Yep, as Steve Goldman thought, you have lost the spider gears.

Do not know if the housing / carrier is damaged also.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 13, 2020 01:06PM

Your transaxle is a 1966-69.

Date: October 13, 2020 01:42PM

IF that top cover on the differential is a genuine Kelmark piece, it is an important part of the Kelmark's longevity.
For some reason though, I seemed to recall the one on my car having a ribbed pattern on the top exterior portion but I could be remembering incorrectly after twenty years of not seeing it.
To confirm if it is a genuine Kelmark piece, look on the underside and you should see that there is a casting molded into it.
What this does is to catch the gear oil as it splashes around and then it will drip on the ring and pinion to help keep it lubricated better.
Do NOT let that part become separated from the car. JMO

P.S.
The wear pattern on your ring gear looks good. I have seen them worn to a razor sharp edge because of wear and hard use.

Can anyone tell from looking at the photo if this is a stock ring gear ?, or a reversed version. It has been so long since I have been into a differential that I don't remember.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 01:46PM by Caraholic4life.

Date: October 13, 2020 01:50PM

Dang it!
Been trying to research relacement part(s), but no luck, anyone have any ideas?

Also, there is not really anything on the internet about rebuilding these, I was suprised, you can usually find everything on YouTube! Anyone have experience in working on these?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 13, 2020 01:53PM

Just a Corvair Differential! New and used pieces abound right here on this forum! As well as all the Corvair Venders listed here

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 13, 2020 02:01PM

DamonW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dang it!
> Been trying to research relacement part(s), but no luck, anyone have any ideas?
>
> Also, there is not really anything on the internet about rebuilding these, I was suprised, you can usually find everything on YouTube! Anyone have experience in working on these?

Steve asks: are you located? There are several shops that do V8 gearboxes. Parts aren't really a problem and many times just the gears and surrounding parts are only damaged items. Can't tell until apart. If you have a posi the side gear is a bit hard to find but not really difficult.

By divulging your location it helps because not only freight comes into play but maybe someone near you can help.

You should join CORSA and the V8 registry too. If you google v8registry you will find members car pics and descriptions

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: October 13, 2020 02:11PM

All the parts are here: Clark's catalog

[ssl.corvair.com]

They call spider gears - pinion gears.

Really cannot tell all you need until it is apart.

Obviously, pinion gears - 2 if diff is stock / 4 if a 4 spider gear conversion is in your diff.

Inside the housing is shaft and a block (I think).

Might need side gears?

It depends if any of the pieces of the spider gears have damaged other parts in the diff.

Date: October 13, 2020 02:22PM

IF you are not familiar with Clark's Corvair, they have a very good selection of parts for Corvair's.
There are also several other vendors and Corvair shops around the country that offer parts and services.

As already mentioned, adding a signature line with a general location would be beneficial.
There just might be someone local to you with the parts or services you are in need of.

Here are a couple links for the Clark's website regarding differential parts.
Page 123 shows a "Typical" Exploded view of the differential. [ssl.corvair.com]
Page 125 shows individual parts such as the spyder gears. Part #C1937 [ssl.corvair.com]
Page 126 shows a complete four spyder assembly. [ssl.corvair.com]

A word of caution though.....Browsing their catalog can become addictive as well as expensive.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: October 13, 2020 02:29PM

Spokane, Wa.

Date: October 13, 2020 02:35PM

DamonW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spokane, Wa.

Craig Nicol lives near you in Ceor d'Alene Idaho. On this forum.

But, he is having a new shop added to his new house, so I am not sure he is dong any Corvair work at this time.

Posted by: JerryM ()
Date: October 13, 2020 02:42PM

Did I miss something in this thread about cappuccino for gear lube?

Date: October 13, 2020 03:06PM

Damon you should join local Seattle club too. Roland Martin is a member and has V8 car.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: October 13, 2020 05:09PM

Lol, I apparently didn't get all the 40 year old lube out before I put new in.

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: October 13, 2020 05:22PM

Special Starbucks brand Gear Lube. JerryM beat me to it, slight chance that is part of the problem.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd.
2020 Outdoors RV 25RLS
2020 Corvette HTC 3LT,Z51,FE4 (on order)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.