Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Expensive wheel cylinder
Posted by: ckstern ()
Date: October 08, 2020 04:39PM

At the beginning of the summer I had the Corvair out and every time I applied the brakes the car would dive to the right-hand side. I had ordered new wheel cylinders brake springs, and hoses.

What I thought would be a nice Sat. spending time with my father in the garage who is 83, is turning out to be a weeks long process.

Upon removing the wheels, brake shoes, and springs. I found one hose frozen on the brake line, not only was it frozen it still had Zbert coating on it from the dealer. (Probably why it was never changed).

I got the hose off but the brake line didn't fair so well.

So my list has grown to dropping the fuel tank, replacing all the brake lines, rebuild the master cylinder, new E-brake cables, and new fuel line.
Painting the area above the fuel tank, and a respray in the trunk.

After thirty-two years of ownership, besides regular maintenance and a few parts here and there the only problems I ever had was a dropped valve seat and a broken clutch cable.

I will post photos when I get them together.....
Till next time... Vair on

Charles Stern
East of Lancaster, Pa
1966 Corvair Corsa
3rd week Sept. 1965

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expensive wheel cylinder
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 08, 2020 07:52PM

It can be tough getting the steel line tube nut released from the hose without twisting. I've found that I prefer lots of time patiently getting it apart with oil and heat to time spent replacing steel lines. It's good that you're taking care of the brakes, very important.
Replacing the cables isn't always a lot of fun either. Getting the ends out of the backing plates and routing through the pulleys with their guards are some highlights.
Working with your father is a heartwarming scenario.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 09, 2020 05:28AM

easy wat to get the parking brake cables out of the backing plate, is to use a small worm gear clamp to depress the fingers of the cable, and then it will slip out with little effort, unless it is rusted in place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 09, 2020 06:31AM

Having to change the line above the tank may be a blessing in disguise. I was running an errand in the mid 80s with my two young kids in the car when that line totally blew at at an intersection. Fortunatly nothing was coming. Drove it home cautiously with the e brake. Parked it for 8 or 9 years. When it went back on the road, everything brake related was brand new, except the MC which I rebuilt.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: October 09, 2020 06:50AM

The dreaded mission creep of "might as well while I'm here". grinning smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 09, 2020 07:06AM

Take the clamp off the park brake cable that holds it to the rear torque arm. Makes it much easier to pull cable out of the plate.

Make your own brake li as with CUNIFER tubing.

Watch those cylinders. If they have storage time on them, take them apart and check for rust inside. Lubricate seals with brake fluid when installing. I am now inspecting any cylinder no matter where I get them from.

Good time to add dual master cylinder for safety.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 11, 2020 11:56AM

Considering your in PA. I would pull the gas tank and replace that line (and the one to the other side).

It's been over five decades and good brakes are a cheap form of accident avoidance insurance.

Keep in mind a dual master cylinder is good to have, but when one circuit fails the braking action is reduced significantly as I learned decades ago in poorly maintained company cars.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:51AM

I was thinking of getting my 61 back on the road but decided to scrap it instead. I was just in the neighborhood of the rear line removing the clutch/brake pulleys when the line started to drip. I swear I barely touched it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.