Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: About to tear into a virgin '60 engine
Posted by: FoiledAgain ()
Date: October 09, 2020 10:16AM

Note the blorp of factory sealant.
Looks like this one is the 22,216th Corvair. Built in Kansas City. Engine was built 14 March 1960 in Tonawanda NY.

I'm kind of going backwards- normally brakes is the first thing I repair on an old derelict.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: October 09, 2020 11:11AM

Odd that paint number by my references reads Jade Green but different plants used different color numbers. There wasn't a lot etched in stone when it comes to a '60. Is 32A the gas heater? EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 09, 2020 12:13PM

Not sure Ed but I am also not sure gas heaters were considered "standard equipment" either but I know most 60s had them. Sort of like the direct air heaters in newer Corvairs. Not standard but most had them.

Date: October 09, 2020 05:37PM

Could be. Looks like Cascade Green but whadda I know.
Since those photos were taken I gave what's left of the paint a cut and polish and it darkened a bit.

I had an old Beetle up in Minneapolis w/ a Southwind heater.
Very effective, but really liked gas and smoked like a refinery fire.
I take it the later Corvairs have a heat-exchanger type heat setup like stock VW and Porsche units.

You guys will like this: an old friend drives a '57 Speedster he bought in 1970 for 350 bucks, and it ran a Corvair motor.
Was quite quick, but he later built and installed a Super 90 motor which he says is disappointingly slow compared to the Corvair.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 09, 2020 05:58PM

Sad, he should have stayed with Vair Power!
Tell him to drop in a BUILT 140, it will Scoot once again. grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: October 09, 2020 06:08PM

He's kinda making noises...sad thing is that his beater Speedster's now worth so darn much going back to a fast motor would be seen as heresy within the Porsche crew. He's like me, Poorsche.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 09, 2020 06:22PM

FoiledAgain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> You guys will like this: an old friend drives a '57 Speedster he bought in 1970 for 350 bucks, and it ran a Corvair motor.
> Was quite quick, but he later built and installed a Super 90 motor which he says is disappointingly slow compared to the Corvair.

=================================================

Nothing to do with it being a Corvair Engine or 4 vs 6 cylinders! 2600 cc's vs 1600

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 09, 2020 07:47PM

Yep. 911 motor in a 914 for instance, or an old Bus.
Back then of course Corvair motors were cheap and plentiful as were 356s.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 09, 2020 07:55PM

Who cares what "The Porsche Crew" thinks? yawning smiley
Anytime ANY group starts getting snobby about their niche, I automatically want to start rocking the boat, and yanking their chain. grinning smiley
I appreciate originality as much as the next guy, but when it becomes a purity snob issue, then the game is ON!

Reminds me: A friend and I once discussed buying a Vette in our town, and making it into a stake-sided flat-bed, with a "Model A" grill, just to tweak the Vette guys.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: October 10, 2020 06:30AM

That is jade green. It’s a great color when fresh. It’s the interior color for the crocus cream paint combination.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: October 10, 2020 07:01AM

You mention no choke. I see the insulated tube going to the choke (under the filter). Clean that up. They work well when clean inside and set properly.

And the blocking ring opens and closes with the thermostat.

When you get around to it, you can clean up and shine the stainless belt trim with instructions on the link below (in my signature). I also suggest checking out the other links for oils.

My engine started out like this

and turned into this

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: October 10, 2020 08:17AM

Ha! Yes. Me, I don't own a Porsche but several friends around here do, and they've been in it long enough to develop an attitude, particularly regarding giant-wallet collectors. These friends picked up their 356s back when they were almost worthless and drove and enjoyed them w/o worrying about polishing and primping 'em.

It's akin to Split-Window VW Buses- nowadays they are stupid costly, and of course that blew up the cost of parts. I found mine a few blocks from here, serving as a garden shed. Still had its original engine. Rebuilt everything then took off for 6 months in the intermountain west, very slowly, but it went everywhere including offroad.

Old Porsches and VW Buses are costly because all but a few were thrown away.

On the other hand, it seems folks were impressed enough with Corvairs they didn't just toss 'em, instead folks held onto them, in part from affection, in part from fear of parts becoming impossible to track down.

When I see astoundingly preserved or lovingly restored Corvair sedans. coupes, wagons and trucks going for far, far less than they should- and at a fraction of the cost of restoration, on Bring A Trailer, it's baffling to me, but I guess that is supply and demand, and certainly not a reflection of how good the vehicles are or how fun to drive they are.

Which I'll find out, because I've never driven a Corvair- once this old guy is up and running, then I'll know.

Sheeesh! Look at that lovely '60 engine. All that work! Mine will never be that nice. Great job, Richard.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 10, 2020 08:25AM

And Richard1 is in Bolivia!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 10, 2020 08:37AM

...and no doubt a national Bolivian hero.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 10, 2020 10:44AM

R 1 is a Corvair hero here in America also. He has an amazing 60.

Date: October 10, 2020 10:47AM

Worldwide, I'd say!

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 10, 2020 10:59AM

Since Richard lives in Bolivia he does NOT have the luxury of simply calling Clarks and the box arrives in a few days.

(That we take for granted)

Richard is a craftsman who figures out ways of fabricating/making do with what he has/etc and it shows in each of his cars. Not only the Corvair but also his Renault. He has to figure out how do handle each chore because he doesn't have the ability to just run down the street to a shop to do something for him.

(Again that we take for granted)

Richard is extremely talented with his hands as well as his mind.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: October 10, 2020 11:11AM

Richard1 sounds like Scott Newstead outside Edmonton- incredible craftsman, very canny, makes what cannot be found.

www.youtube.com/user/coldwarmotors

Date: October 10, 2020 11:25AM

Thought I woud share this info. I acquired a copy of the 1960 edition of the Chevrolet "Finger-tip-Facts" published in 1959 for Chevrolet Dealers & salesmen.

Corvair Color selections and Codes:

The Code numbers listed here correspond to those on the Fisher Body ID Plate. All Chevrolet/Fisher Body plants used the same codes for Trim and Paint Accessory codes for the plants may differ....

Corvair "Custom Features" (Accessories):

Gasoline Heater was Optional* - the only heater/defroster available for the 1960 Corvair. price: $74 (In 1961 the "Direct Air" heater/defroster was introduced and was a $74 option. The Gasoline heater was still available but increased to $94.)
*FOA=Factory Optional Accessory

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 10, 2020 11:31AM

Richard maintains a webpage about the acquisition & revival of his 1960 Corvair here:

https://www.widman.biz/Corvair/English

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.