Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
About to tear into a virgin '60 engine
Posted by: FoiledAgain ()
Date: October 08, 2020 12:02PM

...which is pretty much a solid dirt block, with no sign even its valve covers have ever been off or clutch replaced- it has that much studge on it. A 700 Club Coupe, Cascade Green, 3 speed. Still has the stock asbestos-wrapped muffler. Engine spins fine, has but one cylinder with reasonable compression [120 PSI] on a cold compression test. Hope it's valves that are way out of adjustment, I'll find out eventually. The velocity ring is stuck, hope the thermostat is salvageable. Very old AC spark plugs with the corrugated electrodes and copper base washers, even an AC oil filter. Last registered around '73. My guess is this old guy hit the ground running and rarely saw any maintenance.

Engine is complete, Rochester H carbs with no choke of course. Vehicle shows 66,000, I tend to believe it as the pedal pads are not very worn and the speedo cable is still in one piece. Very neglected car, floors were gone but I made new ones so it's solid and tight now.

I've built/worked on plenty of ACVWs and V8s but this is my first flat 6. It's like working on a Chevy Beetle but I know you've heard that before.

Advice? Things to look out for? I've viewed pretty much all DaveMotohead's YouTube videos- thank you, sir- but I have a lot to learn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About to tear into a virgin '60 engine
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 08, 2020 12:27PM

WELCOME! You will love it. Join the local club as well as the mother club CORSA.
Now tell us where you are. And we love pictures.

Date: October 08, 2020 12:50PM

Thanks! Big Bend of Texas. Car is originally from Lubbock, fragments of the owner's manual and service record also named the original owner. Sorry for the crummy quality of the photos.

Body's not too terrible, couple whiskey dents on the passenger side.

Date: October 08, 2020 12:58PM

I see a gas heater which is a rare option. I love Corvairs but I don't like jack stands sitting on dirt. Safety first. Put some 2X6s under the stands at a minimum. There are many club members in Texas as well as a few Corvair clubs.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 08, 2020 01:17PM

Looks solid! Sounds like you've already started the engine? Got to let it run / warmup for a hour! Valve lifters are hydraulic and may take that long for all 12 to pump up. Normally never adjusted after engine assy.!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: October 08, 2020 01:59PM

Not the correct type of oil filler cap. Yours is easier to use, but the originals were round with no 'ears' and no writing, and sort of a depression in the center. None of this really matters though.

Date: October 08, 2020 02:14PM

Thanks. Yep, gas heater, looks untouched.
The soil here is just a thin cover for bedrock, car's well planted, good advice though. Oil cap noted. I have not attempted to start it, waiting on carb kits, P/C, battery cables, like that. Wonder if it'll go?
It's striking how bright the aluminum is once the accumulated snot is scraped off.
I keep thinking about those trucks w/ molten aluminum sloshing around in Towanda.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 08, 2020 02:44PM

Trim is Stainless!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 08, 2020 03:36PM

I refer to the dried muck on the engine. not the trim.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 08, 2020 07:07PM

66K miles on 80 HP 140 cubic inch? Probably just needs push rod tube o-rings! And other rubber pieces, like oil cooler o-rings too.

As Matt says, get it running first, then decide if it needs more internal work. Valves can take up to an hour to adjust themselves.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 08, 2020 07:42PM

60s had gas heaters. They were optional in subsequent years when the air heater came along but standard for 60.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: October 08, 2020 11:55PM

Guides are sometimes shot on 60s even with very low miles. Check for burned exhaust valves.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: October 09, 2020 05:40AM

Looks like it has the '60 "short" generator. Need numbers off of tag.EddieB Dade City,Fl

Date: October 09, 2020 08:24AM

Thanks, guys. This is really helpful information! The differences between 1960 Corvairs and subsequent years is exactly what I'm hoping to learn, to avoid dumb mistakes. I will see if I can get a number off the generator. Since there is compression in all cylinders I doubt an exhaust valve has burnt or chunked but guides I won't be able to check until if/when I disassemble the engine.

You'll note the engine number is painted on the left side of the engine compartment [TO314Y]so I'm curious what changes had or had not been made to this motor and whether it's got some issues like cheesy guides and so forth.

I understand '60 cylinders can be bored to the next size given there is some meat on them compared to later years, hope that is unnecessary.

I'm assuming at minimum I will be looking at a floppy flywheel, a new clutch disk, hone and rings, fan bearing [has steel fan still] and if I'm able to get it running I will know whether the rod and main bearings are serviceable. I plan to temporarily plumb a mechanical oil pressure gauge to determine that.

Also, I'm 99% certain the steering box is toast. It's noisy and feels like it's filled with gravel. I tried refilling/adjusting but no soap. Frustrating how many reversed Corvair boxes are out there for relatively low prices, but how costly quick ratio boxes [Flaming River] are.

Thanks again, and please keep telling me stuff.

Date: October 09, 2020 08:34AM

There was no quick steering box available for an EM. That steel fan though heavy puts out more than enough cooling
air for this engine. Make sure the oil cooler is clean (externally). Before doing anything I would try to make it run.
Hook up a separate fuel tank (gas can) and as folks here have suggested just let it run. Is the engine clean on the tops
of the heads and cylinders? You can get clues by looking in areas as to cleanliness without much disassembly.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 09, 2020 09:06AM

The good news is the 140 cubic inch and 145 cubic inch pistons can be reused if they look good. It is the 164 cubic inch that develop cracks almost ALWAYS.

So, boring to the other size piston bore just gets you 5 cubic inches. You need different crank and camshaft ( for clearance) to get to 164 cubic inches.

Just make it run! Then decide.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: October 09, 2020 09:17AM

Check. Peering into the plug holes in the shrouding I see at least one mud dauber nest, so if the thing runs at all I will remove the shrouding and clean between the fins. Got an old drywall saw just for that purpose.

At least one busted VW buggy from a local ranch that rolled into the shop got that way by the shrouding becoming completely [and I mean completely] filled with sticks, rocks, mud and other to the point it retained the shape of the removed shrouds. Got so hot it burned a rod bearing and seized the motor.

Is a rebuild my only option for the steering box? Can it be quickened by a different steering arm?

Date: October 09, 2020 09:26AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The good news is the 140 cubic inch and 145 cubic inch pistons can be reused if they look good. It is the 164 cubic inch that develop cracks almost ALWAYS.

>
That's good news. Cracky pistons were a feature of '55 Olds Rocket engines, I found 4 ruined pistons in the last one I rebuilt. Real shame, all 8 showed little skirt/ring land wear but I found hairline cracks. Olds pistons are costly, like Ford Y-Block units.

Date: October 09, 2020 09:47AM

Great l'il piece of history you've adopted!

There is a plate in the left rear corner of the engine bay. Please take a photo of that and post.
It tells us when & where the body was built as well as the trim & color info and may also indicate some options. You can compare the build date of the body with that stamped on the rear housing of the engine to determine if it is likely original to the car, too.

This is the plate on my 1960 Monza built in Oakland California 3rd week of May.

The Gas Heater was an option. (FOA118) Back in the day when you bought a new car, you got a minimal amount of included equipment and had to pay-up for an improved experience! Want an driver's outside drivers mirror? Pay-UP!!

Looking forward to lots more photos and stories of this ones resurrection!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: October 09, 2020 09:49AM

Concern yourself with steering, brakes, tires, suspension AFTER it is mechanically sound IMO.

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.