Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Seal Beams Replacements
Posted by: 66monza ()
Date: October 08, 2020 07:27AM

Hi - looking for suggestion on a good bright seal beam headlights replacement. The 1966 headlight technology is simply not safe for night time driving - thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seal Beams Replacements
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 08, 2020 07:31AM

Halogens

Al
Georgia

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: October 08, 2020 08:08AM

I’ve been through all of the halogen brands and sylvania (sp?) day star has been the brightest.
This is only an opinion, and everyone has one.

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 08, 2020 09:21AM

The Sylvania sealed beam Halogen XtraVision are the brightest I've found.

BTW Don't waste your money on the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. The are "trendy" bluer, but actually not as bright over the full light spectrum. I was disappointed with the Silverstar bulbs.

BTW - A sealed beam bulb grounds via a terminal to a skimpy ground wire to the headlamp frame, to the bucket, to the body. Usually not a good ground path after all these decades. I use new headlamp sockets (or a new harness) and run a separate ground from the each socket to the inside of the trunk to a good body ground using a 16 gauge wire. It can make a noticeable improvement in headlamp brightness.

The next improvement is headlamp relays with a good power source. Some use the horn relay terminal, others run a separate power wire to the engine compartment power.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 08, 2020 09:31AM

The 1966 headlight technology is simply not safe for night time driving - thanks

I disagree. What changed since 1966 on your car? Why do you think they are not safe?

I agree they can be improved with modern technology, but unsafe? Horrors, crush all those unsafe cars I guess.

People still drive on tours with gas lights. Hench Gas Light Tour. You just have to know your car's limitations.

I guarantee your 1966 specification sealed beams are enough for another driver to see you!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: October 08, 2020 09:59AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:

> What changed since 1966 <

Answer: Our eyes! The cars are older and so are we. Old guys like me can't see as well as we did when we were 54 years younger!

I am very much a "stock" guy but my Rampside has an alternator, new wiring harnesses, and Halogen headlights.

--Bob, not quite ready for a white-tipped cane, but...

WhyImWhenIm64

Date: October 08, 2020 10:22AM

WhenIm64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frank DuVal Wrote:
>
> > What changed since 1966 <
>
> Answer: Our eyes! The cars are older and so are we. Old guys like me can't see as well as we did when we were 54 years younger!
>
> I am very much a "stock" guy but my Rampside has an alternator, new wiring harnesses, and Halogen headlights.
>
> --Bob, not quite ready for a white-tipped cane, but...

Good point WhenIm64. After about 50 "night vision" starts to deteriorate for most of us. I would not even consider driving with old non-halogen sealed beam headlights at night except in the city at slower speeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 10:23AM by 66vairman.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 08, 2020 10:42AM

Frank you ask what changed. My reply is all of the cars around you. New cars see well down the road and in wet blacktop conditions. Not being equal or at least close may be dangerous. As always just my opinion

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: October 08, 2020 11:12AM

If you're looking for really bright and want to risk it... In my German cars I used unsealed Hella halogens and would swap the stock bulbs for 80/100 bulbs. I've yet to see anything light the night up like those did.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: Beers ()
Date: October 08, 2020 11:41AM

I agree with all the points about modern lights being better, but in the meantime you may also want to check headlight aiming. On one previous vehicle I thought it was really dim at night, but after I adjusted the aiming it was like night and day (pun intended)

63 Monza Spyder convertible [www.corvairforum.com]
SF Bay Area, CA

Date: October 08, 2020 04:41PM

doug6423 Wrote:
> If you're looking for really bright and want to risk it... In my German cars I used unsealed Hella halogens and would swap the stock bulbs for 80/100 bulbs. I've yet to see anything light the night up like those did.

Just me but I thought the Cibie had a better light pattern per watt. Problem is trying to find Cibie lamp housings in the U.S. for Hella prices.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 08, 2020 05:02PM

buy Chinese

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 08, 2020 06:04PM

I did not say they could not be improved, I said the stock sealed beams are SAFE! They illuminate the road in front for you to drive, not for other people to see you. The modern car/driver needs to see you for you to be safe. Having 100,000 candlepower headlamps will not make them see YOU better. Just blinds them.

If you over drive your headlamps, that is your problem, drive at a speed your headlamps can illuminate and you will be SAFE. That's how it was in 1940 when sealed beams came out, and that is how it is in 2020 with the most modern headlamp system out there, drive only as fast as you can see.

Of course I use the Halogen sealed beams when I need replacements for the T3s. Mostly city driving here, even in the rural areas we have no stars due to light pollution. And those on-coming headlamps! That's the over 50 and cataracts issue, not seeing in front of the car. Have a cure for those new Ford trucks with their high beams on all the time?????

And yes to aim the headlamps! It's EASY*. Here in Virginia we have the safety inspection every year, that's part of it. Run antique plates, remember to do it yourself, since the inspection is not required. However, you sign a statement that the car WILL pass safety inspection.

If you want other drivers to see you, work on brighter taillamps and brake lights. That increases safety.

*Of course, lay in a supply of the adjusters, since the plastic is very brittle and the screws might be rusty if you live in the east.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: October 08, 2020 06:38PM

My rampside I have a set of phillips ealed beams, all new nothing special. Adjusted properly. They work fine for what they are, i have no complaints. I also live in the city where its never dark, like it can get in the middle of no where, or rural areas. Either way, a good set of sealed beams are usually just fine. Only aftermarkets Id consider would be Hella or Lucas, some proper brand like that that makes a bulb/housing conversion. Lots of the cheep ones have crap for beam patterns and they really dont work well. New cars tend not to have the blinding issue unless its a lifted truck and they havent been adjusted correctly, or in general if the headlight havent been adjusted right.

In the end the biggest issue with blinding headlights in the states is headlights out of adjustment, or people puting bulbs in that are too bright because they stock headlight housings on a lot of cars are garbage. Seriouisly, headlights have sucked for years on modern cars. Then you get the yellowing and that makes it worse. But LED bulbs and HID bulbs just make for the worst combination on unfocused blinding light unless you have a proper setup.

I will say modern sealed beam LED replacements are frekin awesome for proper light. Truklite or JW speaker make really nice stuff, proper DOT approved lights, but not cheep.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: October 08, 2020 06:43PM

When I purchased a 2005 Corvette with HID headlights, it extended my old eyes capability for night driving for many years. The cutoff on those precluded me blinding other drivers, but extended out my confidence level. That said, my suggestion for Corvair drivers under 50, is the halogen replacements. They are plenty for regular driving, plug into existing circuitry and will work with the direct feed bypasses replacing 60 year old wiring. If you are over 50, you will now, or soon, experience the slow advance of decreasing night vision. You can adapt, drive less at night, or limit your exposure to new locations where extra sharp vision is required, or move to a brighter - possibly illegal or offending - aftermarket HID lights. I remain un-convinced that LED technology really improves the driving experience, as touted. The most important point is: don't overdrive your lights.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: AZ Troy ()
Date: October 08, 2020 06:45PM

Why sealed beam lamps?

Why not 5-3/4" lamps with replaceable bulbs?

They most often will have H4 halogen bulbs that can be swapped out for H4 LED's that are about 4 times brighter than halogen, have a better warranty, require less amps to operate, & are plug-n-play.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 06:46PM by AZ Troy.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 08, 2020 07:40PM

AZ Troy Wrote:
> Why sealed beam lamps?
>
>
>
> Why not 5-3/4" lamps with replaceable bulbs?
>
>
> They most often will have H4 halogen bulbs that can be swapped out for H4 LED's that are about 4 times brighter than halogen, have a better warranty, require less amps to operate, & are plug-n-play.

I quite agree with using the Hella H4 conversions.
I have been running them on my Coupe for many years.
As for popping in L.E.D. replacements, I wouldn't go there.
I have shared on here before about my roadtrip experience where I passed a guy using those.
The problem with MOST of the L.E.D. replacement bulds, is that they look really cool, but do not have the L.E.D.'S located in the PRECISE location as the H4 filament was.
If the light source is not exactly where the reflector was designed to have it, then you are going to have really poor, odd, glaring, and even DANGEROUS light patterns projected everywhere but where they should be!
The poor guy that I passed on my trip was driving down the road with pitch-black pavement in front of him, with the exception of 6 (SIX) incredibly bright rectangles of light randomly spaced on the road directly in front of his truck.
Hella H4 conversions, German Lead Crystal lenses that will not yellow with age.
A Perfect Computer designed, and engineered reflector.
A commonly available replacement bulb. thumbs up
More expensive than Chinese Crap, but worth every penny. cool smiley (And THAT is coming from a frugal Corvair owner!)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: October 08, 2020 07:50PM

I ordered a set of the Sylvania H6024 XtraVision Halogen Sealed Beams. I have been daily driving my wagon most of the year and have been meaning to try some better bulbs. I actually own the official AC headlight aiming kit the dealer would use. It is exceeding complex as I remember but maybe I will give it a whirl.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 08, 2020 08:52PM

I don't believe any car is safe but I for sure do not believe my Corvair headlights are unsafe.
I last drove at night in my ALL STOCK 69 Monza Coupe driving to the Chicago convention last year.
Of course I was younger then but I did just hit the big 6 0 this year. Ouch. I like the idea of
making sure all electrical connections are clean and tight and this includes both the supply side
as well as grounds. Part of regular maintenance IMO.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 09, 2020 05:40AM

[www.youtube.com]

I have been running Halogen sealed beams for so long I forgot when I installed them. I can see fine at night and I am 75. As for being seen during the day, I took care of that a few years ago. Drivers are getting used to seeing LEDs now, and its a good safety feature. I put the brightest switch back LEDs in that I could find. Along with Dave's lenses. The rear got the same bulbs in the all red version.

[www.youtube.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.