Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Help - Hole (weep?) in large shaft that passes thru diff.
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: October 03, 2020 12:18PM

A while back (maybe as long ago as 6 months) there was a post about transmissions, differentials (frankly I don't remember which). Part of that discussion (it might have been a side link) regarded the larger of the two shafts that pass through the differential. There is a small hole in the shaft and I can't remember whether the advise was to drill a second hole, or to plug up the one hole or whatever.

Since I'm disassembled to that point I wanted to re-read the post and consider the options. However, after a number of searches and then just looking back through pages and Pages and PAGES of posts I can't find it. So, any input would be appreciated. My application is a '61 PG car. Below is a picture of the shaft/hole I'm speaking of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 12:19PM by wittsend.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help - Hole (weep?) in large shaft that passes thru diff.
Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: October 03, 2020 12:25PM

Manual transmission? The discussion I remember was about the pinion shaft for the differential. Vairmech posted about it I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 12:27PM by Vairismo.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 03, 2020 12:49PM

This discussion?

> > > Pinion Shaft Mods < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 12:50PM by American Mel.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: October 03, 2020 02:22PM

Yes, I guess I has the wrong ahhh..., better said "opening." OK then seems the better side of this I have nothing to modify. smiling smiley Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 03, 2020 03:45PM

That is a mod I do when I build the diff. There was a lot of discussion in the other thread about where oil comes from or goes, I can't say I agree with it all. This can only be done on a manual trans diff as the PG diff has trans fluid running through the shaft.

Some of the other discussion stated oil came from the 4th gear, I'm not so sure about that. The rear pinion bearing has it's own oil supply with a trough that feeds it sling oil right off the pinion gear and a lot of it. That gets on the input shaft also and then that can drain into the input shaft area and then drain back out.

What I feel the hole does is let excess fluid out promoting fluid exchange keeping fresher fluid in the spline area. The hole may let some fluid in but I feel it is more to let it out.

Why do I say that? I have taken many tran/diffs apart only to find the splines in a thick goo and almost or even stuck.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.