Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
H4 4 Headlight Relay System Installation Info
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 27, 2020 05:11PM

I posted the Sale item for the H4 4 Headlight Relay System last week. Here is some info on how I am installing the kit to my Vairs. Photos are provided just to show a general idea of where harness is to go.

Run a new 10 gauge wire to the front to power the relays. Add a 30 amp fuse at engine compartment end. Do not attach to junction block yet. You could install a 30 amp BUSS circuit breaker and tie it into the junction block. Pop the breaker before hooking up new wire. Wire needs to feed through a grommet in body at engine compartment and at aft end of tunnel.
Ty-wrap to existing bundle in tunnel. Follow bundle into passenger compartment. Use a license plate light grommet to feed wire through trunk wall close to firewall harness plug. I will use the angled section of wall to right of it. Rout along inside of left fender to left head bucket area. My More Door already has this wire run.

Access left headlight bulbs and remove harness from bucket. Place new harness connectors at left bulbs. Run horn and ground wire? into bucket. Set grommet location on wires. Locate relay bracket to nearest structure. May require making bracket to make it for like you want it.

Access right headlights and remove harness from bucket. Install new headlight harness, horn and ground wire into right bucket. Do not connect lights at this time. Set grommet for right bucket harness.

Apply tape or tubing to modified harness and route in front in trunk compartment. Secure in clips.

Connect headlight dash circuit to new wires by either plugging into left low beam plug or making a solder connection. Remove all old headlight wiring.

Suggest doing ohm checks before power on checks to ensure nothing is grounded where not suppose to be. Connect new 10 gauge wire to system 30 amp fuse. Connect headlight plugs.

Connect wire to new 10 gauge to junction block or reset circuit breaker. Test the circuit functions correctly.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: H4 4 Headlight Relay System Installation Info
Date: September 27, 2020 05:12PM

Here is the kit and its wiring diagram.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 27, 2020 06:23PM

Thanks Al!
I have been running quad H4's for years on the stock system, but this is definitely a good idea. thumbs up
Especially as the system ages. eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 28, 2020 04:12PM

Make sure you do a good job with the bulb grounds. A poor ground negates the advantage of the better wiring and power supply via the new harness.

Even with the simple sealed beam halogen headlamps the improvement with a relay harnesss is noticeable IF you have a good voltage supply wire.

Date: September 28, 2020 04:17PM

My thought was to run a ground wire out of the bucket from the existing ground point to a solid point on the sub-frame. Bucket and headlight mount tray attach points, all the painted areas, plus sealant may reduce grounding capability inside the bucket.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 12, 2020 05:24PM

Started the Coup's Headlight relay incorporation today. First thing I found is the vendor used a splice tp join to power wires that go to each side' light connectors. Great if in a hooded area, but I don't light it in the bucket area. So I soldered each splice and taped wrapped them.

Then on to merge the new and old harnesses to get rid of unnecessary wiring.

With the work I am doing on the new and old harness to fit them together and have a good harness with connectors, it probably would have been better to call M&H Electrical to have them add the relays into a new harness. The they could leave a relay hot wire to be connected by the installer.

The repairs done by somebody in the past and the corrosion of the parking light connections/springs has developed into a complete rewire of the front lighting. The horn wiring is the only wiring not being touched. I have disassembled 3 trunk harnesses trying to get good wiring for the parking lights from the trunk wall connector to each light.

Will continue tomorrow. Or will call M&H tomorrow.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: October 12, 2020 06:20PM

Great information and excellent directions!!

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: October 13, 2020 11:14AM

Adding a very similar kit to my Corsa! Won't button it all up until I finish my electric fuel pump/relay install.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: October 13, 2020 07:43PM

Worked on the original harness today, until the trees came down and I had to go work on them.

I found a harness with no repairs on the horn or park/turn wiring. I had some new park/turn connectors, so I got them fitted to the harness wires. No more rusty springs or corroded contacts. It is now ready to merge with the new headlight harness. Stripped the right headlight wires out of the harness and cut back left light wires to horn relay area. Pulled all contacts from main connector and polished the contacts (1 at a time). Also had another untouched harness to verify each terminal's position.

On the new vendor headlight harness, I removed the wires to the left headlights and added 6" of wire length to allow relays to mount just forward of the horn relay. This required a new white wire relay to low beam connector. Also, a new blue wire from relay to the splice the vendor made. I cut out the vendor's splice, tinned the wires, used a splice to join them and put heat shrink over the splice. Relay connections required new terminals which the Packard 56 did work in the connector shell. I have ordered the right terminals for this connector. I removed the connector that the vendor supplied to plug into the left low beam connector. I am wiring direct to the trunk wall connector with 2 of these 3 wires.

I made a bracket to hold the relays, using blind nuts to secure it to the fender weld line and the relays to it. I mounted it with ground wire pinched to the weld line. An ohm check between the bracket mount bolt and the ground wire showed 0.2 ohms. Once I burnish the mount point and put a terminal on the wire, it should show 0.1 or 0.0. This will be same ground point I will use to tie each bucket's ground point to the body.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Date: October 13, 2020 08:00PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Worked on the original harness today, until the trees came down and I had to go work on them.
>

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Did you have a storm today? confused smiley
Funny thing, I am on the opposite coast, and we had a High Wind Storm today. eye popping smiley
Debris everywhere!

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: October 13, 2020 09:12PM

No.

We had a pair of large water oak trees (20" bases) in the front yard and one was leaning towards power lines to the house. Also a live oak is constantly being molested by power line crew, so I had the team take off 2 of the large branches (10" logs) leaning towards the same lines. I will take down the rest of the tree after the new year.

My lawn will flourish without these acidic nut bearers drinking all the surface water.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 14, 2020 12:06AM

I see. cool smiley
Well, good to know it was planned. thumbs up
Big trees are NOT something you want to just randomly be coming down! thumbs down

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 14, 2020 06:01AM

I hear that. My 18" couldn't make it all the way through. Missed the house and the shed, but got trapped in the maple next to it. Next neighbor, farmer, dragged it out on the lawn where we could get at it.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:
Date: October 14, 2020 06:42AM

We have about 12 diseased trees on mine and neighbors land still to come down. Winter work.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 14, 2020 04:59PM

Didn't get much further today. Added the 2 new ground wires which will exit the bucket to ground on the body. Tied both new harness grounds to this ground into a 10 gage round terminal.

Started merging and taping the new and old wires together. I have dimensions and a good old harness to make sure I am not deviating from existing wire split-offs and grommet points. I got half of it done and my thumbs and fingers became numb from the wrapping. I will continue it tomorrow.

Al
Georgia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.