Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Oil Leak
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 23, 2020 05:12PM

In his first post he said cylinders 2,4,6 - left side. . Nothing on that side to possibly seep oil at that spot except a head gasket. The gasket rings frequently seep without being "blown", without compression loss or noise, often due to low head torque. The carb is about 6 inches out from the joint between cylinder and head.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 188 ci, 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 23, 2020 05:17PM

Must have been still asleep when I went back through the posts early this morning. Sorry.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: corsa1 ()
Date: September 24, 2020 05:48AM

check the seals between the jugs and the block.

Date: September 24, 2020 06:16AM

Check the base gaskets between the jugs and the block.

Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: September 24, 2020 02:05PM

The oil leak was from the head gasket. I have seen this before but the compression is usually lower. With 150# you would not have thought the head gasket would have been burnt through at the top (see pictures). I posted to show this condition and get opinions of others on the forum.
I have been a Corvair mechanic since the 70's which paid my was through high school and college. The 3 Chevy dealers in town sent all of their Corvair work to my father and me. If I only had the Corvairs we junked for parts back then ......

Dennis
Nashville area

Attachments:

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 25, 2020 06:14AM

Can in no way dispute your findings, but I still have to wonder how that much oil, in the liquid form, got on that side of the piston rings.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 25, 2020 08:09PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can in no way dispute your findings, but I still have to wonder how that much oil, in the liquid form, got on that side of the piston rings.

Is it OIL?
If the head gasket has been blown, then doesn't logic dictate SOME of the air/fuel mixture has been being pumped through that crevice?
(even with a 150 compression there had to be SOME loses)
By the time the fuel has accumulated on the hot head and ran all the way down there, I could believe that most of the high volatiles would be evaporated, and whatever made its way that far, WOULD have the consistency of oil.
BUT, I am NOT a chemist, engineer, or other Highly Eudmakated indivadual, so I am just talking out of my hat here.
But it makes sense to me. hot smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: September 26, 2020 05:17AM

Check the base gasket's on the bottom of the jugs where they enter the block.

Date: September 26, 2020 05:22AM

Check the base gasket's on the bottom of the jugs where they enter the block.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 26, 2020 09:52AM

American Mel Wrote:
> Wagon Master Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Can in no way dispute your findings, but I still have to wonder how that much oil, in the liquid form, got on that side of the piston rings.
>
>
> Is it OIL?
> If the head gasket has been blown, then doesn't logic dictate SOME of the air/fuel mixture has been being pumped through that crevice?
> (even with a 150 compression there had to be SOME loses)
> By the time the fuel has accumulated on the hot head and ran all the way down there, I could believe that most of the high volatiles would be evaporated, and whatever made its way that far, WOULD have the consistency of oil.
> BUT, I am NOT a chemist, engineer, or other Highly Eudmakated indivadual, so I am just talking out of my hat here.
> But it makes sense to me. hot smiley

Re-read post number 16

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 188 ci, 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 26, 2020 11:57PM

Brizo Wrote:
>
> Re-read post number 16

Yeah?
I had read it the first time through.
So, even IF a smidgen of oil managed to slip past the rings when it sat overnight, as you stated, it will puddle on the bottom of the cylinder.
The head gasket is blown at the TOP.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.