Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Ideas needed on 64 tail light socket bulb connectors
Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: September 22, 2020 09:20AM

Folks,

I went to replace a bulb on an survivor 64 convertible I'm working on last night, due to a filament being burned out in that my turn signal did not work.

The bulb in there was a 1157. Removed the bulb and seemed tight.Housing is in very good shape in front and back of it.

Inside the socket there is no obvious sign of corrosion. Looks very good.

The new 1157 bulb, though, is not fitting tightly back into the socket. My guess is the contact plate springs are stuck (I pressed against the two contacts with a small screwdriver and they did not seem to move much)

I just sprayed some Liquid Wrench on the contacts to let that soak in to see if I could loosen them up a bit.

Any thoughts from the group on they solved the issue (beyond replacing the housing, please) if they encountered it?

Thanks.

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ideas needed on 64 tail light socket bulb connectors
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 22, 2020 11:12AM

In my experience that is because of the rubber boot hardening where the wires enter the socket. I can usually massage the boot enough to get the wires to loosen up so that it will work again. Sometimes I add some solder to the contacts on the bulb to lengthen them but I haven't had much luck with that.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 22, 2020 12:21PM

here is a link to a repair I did to a 60 tail light housing with a snap-in 1157 socket assembly. Similar to LM Tail Lights.

[corvaircenter.com]

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: September 22, 2020 05:51PM

I ended up buying a pigtail (that's what the Ranch called it) from the Ranch and soldering it into the harness. I sprayed, pushed, pulled, massaged and begged the old one to work, but in the end it just didn't want to comply.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 22, 2020 06:42PM

Here is a l8nk to a repair i did on a 60 tail light housing using a snap-in 1157 socket similar to LM lights.

[corvaircenter.com]

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Big Dave ()
Date: September 22, 2020 08:47PM

What I ended up doing was buying a new socket like Al did but only use the wires and springs from the new unit. Cut the old wires about 4" or so from the housing and remove the old contact end and springs then feed the new ones in and solder them in to the original harness. Chances are the new wires are slightly smaller in diameter and will slide through the holes easily. I have done this repair on both our Greenbriers and the 64 Monza.

Dave A.

62 Greenbrier "Shaggy" Daily Driver
63 Greenbrier "Velma" (SOLD!)
63 Rampside Future Project
63 Monza Vert
64 Monza Vert, Son's Project / Daily Driver

Puyallup, WA

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 22, 2020 10:03PM

For a 64 if you do not mind spending some money, Clark's Corvair parts has complete new repro units. They also have socket and Wiring pigtails.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.