Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Brake Wheel Cylinder and brake hose
Posted by: Mojan_n ()
Date: September 21, 2020 05:40PM

I am in progress of buying brake wheel cylinder and brake hose.

What is the best brand?

The price for ACdelco brand is $X2 higher than Centric (wheel cylinder).

I do not mind to pay more and get the best quality.

1964 Corvair Monza Coupe, 110 hp, PG
Fremont, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake Wheel Cylinder and brake hose
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 21, 2020 06:45PM

Most AC Delco parts for older cars are just repackaged from other manufactures.

I recall someone recently posted they bought AC Delco and the wheel cylinders in the box had "Made in China" labels.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 21, 2020 07:01PM

Yesterdayjjohnsonjo
4. Re: Pulling brake, drive'n me nuts
Normally I buy parts from Clarks, but I know their wheel cylinders are Chinese. I looked around for USA ones, The AC delco professional showed a pic of the wheel cylinder with a MADE IN USA on the the side of the casting on the Rock Auto site so I bought them. When they arrived I found they were made in China. Nothing to do with this problem, just thought I would mention it for anyone looking for
Forum: Corvair Center Forum

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 21, 2020 07:38PM

The Centric parts I've bought seem to be good quality.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Mojan_n ()
Date: September 21, 2020 11:11PM

I know ACDelco is made in China smiling smiley
I’m asking you what brad you guys are recommending... not all Chinese has same quality.

1964 Corvair Monza Coupe, 110 hp, PG
Fremont, CA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 21, 2020 11:23PM

Mojan_n Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know ACDelco is made in China smiling smiley
> I’m asking you what brand you guys are recommending... not all Chinese has same quality.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs when the members of a Global Superpower sit around lamenting that there is no domestic source for manufacturing their needed parts, and which of "The Lesser of Two Evils" is the correct part to buy. sad smiley
It is well PAST time to bring business BACK to this once Great Nation! hot smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 22, 2020 12:08AM

American Mel Wrote:
> It is well PAST time to bring business BACK to this once Great Nation!

LOL

Two problems:

Americans have been trained to buy stuff on sale / cheap.

Corporations have always been interested in the cheapest inputs - labor and materials.

My mother grew up in a mill (silk and?) town in PA. In the 1930's, most (all?) the mills were shut down and moved to the south. Why? Cheaper labor. She and a few friends migrated to California.

Same reason manufacturing went to Mexico / China (or wherever). If only one company went; it would have a price advantage. So "all" went.

Same reason all new automobile manufacturing plants in the US are in the south.

Actually, China is getting too expensive for some products - factories are moving out of China - Viet Nam, Indonesia, ???

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: September 22, 2020 03:53AM

I have the brake hoses in stock except for 69 Fronts. The price for a set is $45 plus shipping which is $8.20. I do take Paypal at js189@zoominternet.net.

John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 22, 2020 06:11AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
I looked around for USA ones, The AC delco professional showed a pic of the wheel cylinder with a MADE IN USA on the the side of the casting on the Rock Auto site so I bought them.

Its possible that that casting WAS made in the USA, but the parts were assembled in China. Not likely though, its usually the opposite of that - the castings come from overseas, and assembled here.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 22, 2020 07:08AM

The made in USA was on the Rockauto pic, the ones I received had no made in USA on the casting.

[www.rockauto.com]

If this link works look at the rear wheel cylinder pics

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: September 22, 2020 09:21AM

RobertC Wrote:
> American Mel Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > It is well PAST time to bring business BACK to this once Great Nation!
>
> LOL
>
> Two problems:
>
> Americans have been trained to buy stuff on sale / cheap.
>
> Corporations have always been interested in the cheapest inputs - labor and materials.
>
> My mother grew up in a mill (silk and?) town in PA. In the 1930's, most (all?) the mills were shut down and moved to the south. Why? Cheaper labor. She and a few friends migrated to California.
>
> Same reason manufacturing went to Mexico / China (or wherever). If only one company went; it would have a price advantage. So "all" went.
>
> Same reason all new automobile manufacturing plants in the US are in the south.
>
> Actually, China is getting too expensive for some products - factories are moving out of China - Viet Nam, Indonesia, ???

Good points Robert. In the 70's I worked in Detroit for a company that bought Japanese cars for company service vehicles -- IN DETROIT!! I also met folks working for the BIG 3 driving Japanese cars. The attitude was "The Japanese cars are better and less expensive". That's when I decided to leave the MidWest as I saw the decline coming. This is not a U.S.A problem - you see it around the globe.

There is a limit to chasing cheap labor - no company wants to do business in a country that is unstable.

The latest trend is for manufacturing to come back to the U.S., BUT NOT THE JOBS! Automation is making it less expensive to produce locally vs. using cheap offshore labor and paying shipping costs.

A well regarded person commented in an article "The idea that automation and robots will move folks from low paying to higher paying jobs is a FANTASY used as an excuse justify the move to lower cost manufacturing. There will be better jobs, but perhaps only one for every five jobs lost. It was a sobering article to read.

Will folks decide to pay more for a product or service so others can make a decent living - so far the evidence suggests that won't happen unless the government mandates it and historically that has not worked out.

Date: September 22, 2020 04:43PM

"Will folks decide to pay more for a product or service so others can make a decent living" Absolutely not. I will pay for a superior product but in the world we live in that is almost impossible to know. Snap-On tools is one example of high quality at a high price. China is no competition for them in spite of their impossible business structure. I would buy a lot more from them if it wasn't so difficult. The problem is not that at all. The problem is "made in the USA" became synonymous with poor quality or at least in the auto industry which we should have dominated. You can't pay someone $30/hr plus benefits to install lug nuts. It doesn't work. If someone wants to make money they have to come with a skill that will make the money. If 5 jobs go away due to automation and one is created that one job pays a lot more, the economy is better, the standard of living goes up and more high paying jobs are created. The anti-automation argument has been around during all progress. Should we still pick cotton by hand and churn our own butter? Of course not. Machines took over those jobs and everyone is better off.
There are plenty of jobs and not enough people to do them. I've been searching for a couple of years to find someone to mow my yard. It is almost impossible at any price let alone a fair price. I found a guy that did it a few times for $200. It took him about 6 hours but he wasn't very fast. Now I've got someone doing it for $250 but it wasn't easy to find them and they just come when it is convenient for them at that price.
If someone could come up with a way for consumers to determine good quality I think we will see quality start becoming successful again. I just bought a $75 tire gauge/inflator because I'm sick of all the junk. Hopefully it won't be more of the same.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: September 24, 2020 01:16PM

Well Joel there are not simple answers, but it helps to put your ear to the tracks and listen for what's coming.

True mechanical innovation has replaced workers on the farm and later in manufacturing, but the pace was slow enough for folks to adapt and sometimes get better jobs. That is no longer is true. The point I tried to make is today is the rate of change is so fast a lot of folks can't adapt to find new or better work.

Regarding you statement - "If 5 jobs go away due to automation and one is created that one job pays a lot more, the economy is better, the standard of living goes up and more high paying jobs are created." So what about the other 4 folks out of work? That's the problem now - not enough new/better paying jobs.

Then there is the corporate argument - "I can't find skilled employees in the U.S." This implies U.S. citizens are lazy or stupid so we must import skilled labor. I find this insulting to the U.S. worker and for the most part is not true.

What happened to the days when a company "trained" workers in a skill. I learned a skill working as a young man at work. As I got older the company paid for my college education (which benefited them as well as myself).

Not flaming you Joel, just something to think about.

Date: September 24, 2020 09:12PM

I doubt changes came about slowly enough in the farm industry for people to find other jobs. I'm sure the entire crew that used to pick the crops and lost their jobs didn't see it that way. I'm not sure there is that much difference now and it is easier to find jobs because of the internet and communication in general.
I know a lot of people that have businesses and the #1 issue is finding workers. Sometimes there are plenty of people but none of them really want to work or are dishonest or incompetent. Other times there aren't any workers at all.
I'm not saying your scenario can't happen just that it hasn't yet.

"What happened to the days when a company "trained" workers in a skill. I learned a skill working as a young man at work. As I got older the company paid for my college education (which benefited them as well as myself)."

That probably went away with all the kids thinking they need school to train them to do anything. When I was young you could still train with someone if you sought it out but almost no one did. I'll bet you can still do it in a lot of areas if you are motivated. I know you could in the auto paint/body/mechanic area. I know it works in the electrical contracting companies. I know a kid that is doing just that.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.