Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
shift shaft seal question
Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 12:21PM

I am about to replace the seals and gaskets in a 65 4 speed. Looking at the Shift Shaft selector seal, I don't see the seal. I a hard metal ring over the shaft that sticks out of the transmission case about 1/4 of and inch. I assume the seal is behind this but not sure how to remove it. Any ideas ?

Ron

Ron62
1967 500 Coupe 110 PG
Residing in Massachusetts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shift shaft seal question
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 20, 2020 12:27PM

The metal ring with the rubber in the center against the shaft is the seal. original seals have a lip all the way around the outside that is simply pried with a screwdriver and out comes the seal. Replacement seals have no lip and are harder to remove. I use a small drill bit and drill a couple holes in the metal of the seal between the outer edge and the center rubber wiper. I then screw a small screw into these holes so I can pull/pry against it working the seal out. Look at your new seal you sill see what the one that is in there looks like unless it is original. the original looks like a big flat washer on the face and you only need to pry it out.

Clean the shaft well and lubricate between the lips of the new seal with chassis grease before installing,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2020 12:28PM by TerribleTed.

Date: September 20, 2020 12:37PM

Thank you Ted. Its definitely the original. Ill try putting a few screws in it and attempt removal. The replacement seal does not have this metal washer like face. Which was does the seal install ?

Ron62
1967 500 Coupe 110 PG

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 20, 2020 12:39PM

Ron62 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you Ted. Its definitely the original. Ill try putting a few screws in it and attempt removal. The replacement seal does not have this metal washer like face. Which was does the seal install ?

If it is original you do not need screws. Simply get under the outer edge of the big washer like face and pry with a screwdriver. Tapping on the screwdriver or thick putty knife to get under the seal edge may be needed.

the new seal goes in with the closed face out

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2020 12:40PM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 20, 2020 12:40PM

If it is the original you don't need to use the screws. The metal ring you describe is the seal. Just knock it out with a chisel or screwdriver.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Date: September 20, 2020 12:41PM

OK. Ill give it a try. Thanks everyone.

Ron62
1967 500 Coupe 110 PG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.