Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PG Leak located - how to fix?
Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: September 19, 2020 01:39PM

I found the location where my PG leak is coming from. See pictures, it is on the back of the PG. See picture.

I hope this is fixable ---

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PG Leak located - how to fix?
Date: September 19, 2020 01:44PM

File attached now -- it was too big before. Doesnt appear to be coming from the bolt entry, but somewhere below or on the other side?

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2020 01:45PM by Bogey72.

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 19, 2020 01:52PM

You haven't located the source. Just that it leaks and is collecting at mount bolt to differential.

Clean it all off and dry it. Take it out for a short mile run and come back to inspect. Jack it up and see where it is coming from.

Sources could be shift cable O-ring, TV lever O-ring, governor O-ring and modulator valve. Maybe even the pan gasket. You might want to familiarize yourse3lf with the locations of the se items before you take the drive.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 19, 2020 01:56PM

This photo is at the junction between the transmission and the differential? There only thing that can leak fluid right there is the gasket mating the 2 units. That gasket does not usually leak. Usually fluid on top of the rear trans pan rail is migrating from somewhere else like the shift cable or shift cable o-ring or throttle valve o-ring, governor oring, trans modulator gasket,or blowing up in this area from a leaky trans pan. I would want to totally clean the transaxle in place so that NO gunk and fluid residue is present to try to isolate the leak better. If the trans to differential gasket is leaking it can certainly be changed, it just requires removing the transmission or better yet powertrain from the car for access. I would certainly make sure that the easier to address issue like cable, cable o-ring, throttle shaft o-ring and pan gasket were not at fault before pulling the powertrain to change this gasket.

If there is any trans fluid coming out of the weep hole in the bottom of the bellhousing that would indicate leakage at the torque converter seal which also requires powertrain removal and would make going after this gasket less troublesome as pulling the powertrain would be needed anywaysmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2020 01:57PM by TerribleTed.

Date: September 19, 2020 02:02PM

I have had it parked and the rear end up on ramps for a week. I've been inspecting it daily. Dried it off best I could, and then check to see where it is wet. The highest place I can see 'wet' is on the back side, below the pictured bolt.

I will do some additional inspection. It's possible my pan leaks also, but something 'above' the pan is leaking, as I haven't driven it, and there is wet above the pan.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Date: September 19, 2020 02:05PM

Does anyone have any pictures to help me locate all of these locations? I'm no expert at this, but trying to learn all I can. If the trans has to come out, I'll definitely be taking this to a professional garage.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Date: September 21, 2020 09:25AM

ok - after further inspection of all the areas, there is no leakage at shift cable, governor, or modulator valve.

The only place I am seeing leakage is coming from this crevice deep, in the back of the PG --(Not leaking from the bolt area). Is this the "weep hole area" mentioned by TerribleTed ?

THANKS

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 21, 2020 10:01AM

No it isn't the hole mentioned. If fluid is coming from the area you are pointing at the gasket is probably bad but it could be a crack or a porous casting.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Date: September 21, 2020 10:17AM

Thanks Joel. If it is a crack or a porous casting or gasket -- Need to get a shop/mechanic to remove the Transmission as the next step?

I'd like to clean all the grime out from under here too, but unsure of the best way to do that as well.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: September 21, 2020 10:29AM

Are you sure is isn't leaking at the big red arrow? It looks like fluid at the edge of the gasket.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Attachments:
Date: September 21, 2020 10:41AM

I originally thought it may have been leaking from under the bolt (where your red arrow shows), but that was just a drip-run from where my orange arrow is pointing.

There is a crevice where my orange arrow is pointing. I discovered this by rolling up a paper towel into a long skinny stick, and carefully stuffed it into that crevice. Then I waited 36 hours (as thats when I usually start to see drips on the floor). I found no drips on the floor, but the rolled up paper towel was soaking up all of the leak, directly from that crevice. I didnt find any fluid anywhere else, while the paper towel was stuffed into that crevice.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Date: September 21, 2020 11:24AM

Clean it thoroughly and put urethane sealant in the crevice. Fix it when comes down for another reason. Then you can thoroughly inspect for the reason. JMHO. Silicone won't work there.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 21, 2020 11:27AM

What about Matt's...favorite JB Weld?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 21, 2020 11:39AM

Before I would try epoxy or JB weld I would give loctite 290 wicking a try.

[www.amazon.com]

You need to really clean it as much as you can with B12 and brake cleaner. Blow it good and dry and then figure how to get this stuff into the leak area. It will disappear into the crevice like any penetrating oil and then will harden. This one of the things it is designed to do. You can put epoxy over the area later as a double seal.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 21, 2020 11:42AM

But Al is right...temporary fix.

Permanent fix next time it's out.

Date: September 21, 2020 01:34PM

I would hate to put anything there that later I would have to sand off. A wire wheel will remove the urethane sealant.

Al
Georgia

Date: September 21, 2020 03:23PM

Here's another picture. It's kinda blurry, but I cant seem to get a good clear photo of what I am seeing. I said "crevice" in my prior posts, but it's more like an "opening", about a half-inch in diameter... It's like I can see 'inside' the PG, but I have no idea how this is supposed to look here...

Can anyone confirm this looks normal (aside from all the dirt/grime)?

Or better -- anyone have a picture that shows what I'm supposed to be seeing in this area of the PG?

Thanks again!

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Attachments:
Date: October 12, 2020 07:01AM

I've cleaned out the area best I could, and isolated the area further where it appears to be leaking.

It appears to be at the gasket/seal to differential, on the bottom edge, closer to the driver side corner.

Which eurothane sealant can be used for a temp leak stop at this spot? Can you give me a specific one to purchase for this?

I don't what is good/best -- I probably only have one shot at this "patch" without pulling the trans.

Thanks!

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
Owner since August 2013

Date: October 12, 2020 07:04AM

Go to Lowes and get a tube of Urethane sealant. It is in paint section. Look for a blue and black caulking gun tube.

Just remember that sealing it up may force the fluid to find another area to go. And that could be into the differential past its seal. Not a good result with mixing with differential fluid.

Changing the PG shaft seal is the proper resution.

Al
Georgia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2020 07:09AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 12, 2020 07:22AM

I am curious how big is this leak? Are you having to add fluid? Are the 4 bolts mounting the trans to the diff. tight? As far as a "professional garage" I would find a Corvair guy. Lowes and Home Depot do not sell automotive repair items IMO.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.