Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Accelerator pump issue
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 20, 2020 10:55AM

Are the Discharge Needles in place?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: September 20, 2020 01:01PM

Discharge needs is in place. Compression test was done a few days ago. This motor only has a few hours maybe of run time at this point. Valves have been adjusted running and warmed up. Well after the first start. And the are only 1/4 turn in. I do understand how they could be an issue, but I'm on the loose side, not the tight side. I could put a vacuum gauge on it and see.

Date: September 30, 2020 09:50PM

Update! I replaced the throttle shafts cause one was a bit worn and the other wasn't bad but not great. Not enough to be an issue however, but I wanted to eliminate it as a problem.

The goo/film in the intake logs was mostly gone after a can of seafoam and a little driving. A few shots of brake clean and it's all clean now, so that was a non issue.

The jets, it had 50s, and just put in 51s, made a big difference. I also bumped the idle a bit and richened it up more with the screws which yes does effect only idle, bit it does have a slight impact just off idle as well. Without the air cleaners it's still not great, better...but not great. With the air cleaners on however, waaaaay better. Down right decent. I can easily tip in lightly, do slow roll in on the throttle and it runs pretty damn good. But with the tipping point being air cleaners off vs on, I'm gonna order #52 jets and I think that will be money.

I am curious how much the couple of cubes I got from the 60 over pistons is what requires the extra fuel, or of it's fuel we have now. Either way I'm pretty sure the 52 jets will be fine and take care of the issues completely. Even if it's a little rich, that's way better than being lean, especially for an air-cooled.

Mark

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 30, 2020 10:47PM

It's the fuel IMO

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 10, 2020 08:06PM

So 52 jets are to work pretty well, no real running issues. It's a bit cold blooded, has a little stumble when cold till it's got some heat in it. Also does it when it's sat for a few hours and cooled off till it's got some heat in it again. I'm wondering if it's worth trying 53 jets? I read somewhere some FCs got em for lean issues especially with AC. This is on early carbs with no power enrichment circuit FYI.

Thoughts? This motor is .060 over as well. So I don't think it will hurt to go with the 53s...

Date: October 10, 2020 08:08PM

look at a plug. try raising float level 1/8"

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: October 10, 2020 08:46PM

I think if it is only when cold you need to adjust in more choke.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 10, 2020 08:49PM

That's only on FC's with A/C.

Date: October 10, 2020 09:46PM

So what would be the harm then to use 53s. If I had an fc and hardly used the ac....or never used the ac. I'll pull a few plugs and see what they look like. I'm hesitant to raise the float level, I triple checked the level, I forget what it is but it's right on spec. There is fuel at the accel pump slots.

I'll also dial in a bit more choke

Date: October 11, 2020 08:02AM

What Spec? It'schanged with the current fuel!

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: October 11, 2020 08:30AM

If the spark plugs look good then the #52 jets are fine.

I've taken apart a few engines with bigger jets and find excess carbon and often piston rings stuck in place.

If you only have an issue when cold then look for vacuum leaks and double check the choke and head coil operation. The choke pull-off vacuum units are knows to leak.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.