Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Parking brake issue.....Any suggestions.....
Posted by: wagbear ()
Date: September 17, 2020 04:12PM

I replaced my brake shoes, AND installed 2 NOS rear brake drums. Did proper adjustments on everything..... BUT when i pull the e brake handle, it starts to "BITE", but the car keeps moving. The E BRAKE handle comes up past half....cables seem fine. I DID NOT turn those new reardrums....so is it possible THAT the shoes might not be making full-flush contact with the Drums ? Thanx.!!!

WAGBEAR
1961 Lakewood
Chehalis, Washington
( South of Canada...North of Mexico....Near Olympia ; Planet Earth . smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parking brake issue.....Any suggestions.....
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 17, 2020 04:24PM

Stretched cables. Adjusted the equalizer if you want it to lock up sooner. I have mine lock up at 3/4 pull. Then it can be used as a slowing device if fluid is lost.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: September 17, 2020 04:41PM

On my wagon the cables that ran to each rear brake were sticking and had a bunch of friction that I did not know about until I took them loose at both ends. in my case I was able to get them freed up and re greased and working great again.

Have you jacked up the rear to see if they are both engaging? I pulled the drums and then pulled the lever only to find that one pulled more than the other and I could pry them back much farther than they released on their own.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 17, 2020 04:45PM

E-brake is adjustable. The procedure is in the shop manual! There are 2 nuts at the attachment between the front cable and the rear cable. The nut should be adjusted so that the e-brake handle stops at 7 clicks out (can not be pulled out more).

It seems maybe you did not do proper brake adjustments? The first step of doing this on the rear brakes is to loosen the e-brake adjustment fully so it does not interfere with manual rear brake adjustment. I suggest you do this and readjust the rear brakes to a firm drag. After that adjust the e-brake so the handle stops pulling out at 7 clicks of its ratchet. And I suggest reading the shop manual before working on your car.

Are you sure the brakes are assembled correctly? Are the shorter shoes facing forward?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2020 04:52PM by TerribleTed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.