Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Final Throttle linkage too long.angry smiley
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: September 17, 2020 09:53AM

I am working on a 68 with 4 throttle bodies. The final linkage from the swivel to the cross shaft is several inches too long. I have ordered two from Clark's and both are too long by 4"-5". I rechecked the other linkages in the system and they look like the book shows. Before I cut and weld one to fit does anyone have any idea why?

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Final Throttle linkage too long.angry smiley
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 17, 2020 10:19AM

What carbs do you have? 4 EFI Throttle body type units or 4 stock carbs on a 140 engine? My first thought is that you do not have the transfer lever on the side of the trans oriented properly. A throttle rod comes directly out of the tunnel to go to the the lever at the trans. This rod goes in the large 1/2" hole in the lever with a rubber grommet, nylon sleeve, washer and clip. The small hole end of the lever should above and well forward of the levers pivot at this point. The rod coming from the tunnel should have a clevis on it for length adjustment also. Follow the shop manual procedures for adjusting the throttle linkage.

Another thought is improper assembly of the carb linkage. The cross shaft mounts to the primary carbs those being L rear and R front.

If you have non -stock carbs I have no clue...custom mods would likely be necessary.

Posting photos of issues like this is generally helpful as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2020 10:22AM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 17, 2020 10:28AM

Are you talking about the shaft from the trans to the cross shaft?

If so, the lever at the trans may not be positioned correctly?

As stated; pics would help.

Date: September 17, 2020 12:44PM

I'll crawl under it and take photos. I have the linkage from the accelerator pivot in the correct location. I followed the diagram in the shop manual and on Clark's catalog page. I have tried the linkage in as many configurations as are possible. So far, linkage from the trans swivel up to the cross shaft is just too long.

The carbs are standard bases with American Pi EZEFI tops. Ray Sedman sent them on the engine with the linkage setup so I think that part is correct.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: September 17, 2020 12:50PM

Glad to hear you finally got your motor!

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 17, 2020 01:01PM

Since it looks like the carb linkage is modified:

Is the arm on the cross shaft that connects to accelerator rod from the trans in a vertical position?

Pic of that area, also?

If the cross shaft is in a different position than the stock carbs, that could be your problem.

Date: September 17, 2020 03:56PM

OK, solution Ray Sedman looked at it and the linkage does seem to be installed incorrectly. I will flip it around Saturday and see if that solves it. it probably does since I am often wrong the first two times I try! grinning smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 17, 2020 10:26PM

Good luck and yes it is sooooo easy to get the throttle linkage out of wack when working with the multiple adjustment points - BTDT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.