home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Building an engine cart
Posted by: ScottS ()
Date: November 25, 2007 06:15PM

Jst picked up a flatbed wooden cart with wheels , it s the kind of cart that you would use in a wharehouse or factory, nice metal castings bolted to wooden frame.

I plan to use this for a test stand. I have 3 engines to run and want to have a reasonably easy way to hook them up to fuel and power to run them before installing.

What would be the best way to hold the engine - I assume the rear motor mount is a good place but what about at the trans end ? I have an extra crossmembe, maybe do something with that ?

Any pics that anyone has from previous pojects would be great .

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
1969 Monza Coupe
1966 Nader Invader !
1966 Monza Coupe
www.vaircooled.com
I love Corvairs
Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building an engine cart
Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: November 25, 2007 07:18PM

Here's a video of a guy who bench tested his motor before the install. You can see in the video he uses a strap over the bellhousing to hold it firm to the workbench. Should work on a portable stand/cart as well. At least I hop it will, because that's how I plan to do it next week!

[youtube.com]

Dave

Posted by: RestoreA64 ()
Date: November 25, 2007 07:31PM

Anyone ever test run the engine while on the engine stand?

Date: November 25, 2007 08:04PM

Hanks for reminding me about that video- I waslooking for something more - engineered- than a tie down strap. Even thouh it seems to wrk just fine , I read somewhere that the Corvair engines should not be set on their oil pans, I for sure dont want to run it while sitting on the pan. ut eveyone seems to get away with it, don't they ?

1969 Monza Coupe
1966 Nader Invader !
1966 Monza Coupe
www.vaircooled.com
I love Corvairs
Ohio

Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: November 25, 2007 08:07PM

Slightly off topic.......

I drop engines with an ATV jack. Found mine at TSC for $52 on sale awhile back.

I then use these for engine carts. They are cheap, easy to find, and the perfect size. Makes rolling them around in the garage much easier. They are sturdy enough for the whole powertrain.

[www.tractorsupply.com]

Posted by: RestoreA64 ()
Date: November 25, 2007 08:25PM

Heck, I just made mine yesterday for under $10.00 smiling smiley

Date: November 26, 2007 04:35AM

Do you have the Corsa Tech Guide? There's a diagram, with measurements, in there by Fred Johnson. It shows how a stand is built and how it contains a couple of plates that are welded to the stand and bolt up to the diff, holding the motor firm. Using his method, it looks to me that the motor would be up and off the stand, relieving pressure on the oil pan during starting and running. You could likely adapt this methods to the cart you already have with a little re-engineering. I have to admit, though, I don't see the harm in running if on the pan if you only run it for a short time. If you don't have the Tech Guide, repost and I will scan the page and post it for you. Good luck!!!

Dave

Date: November 26, 2007 04:36AM

Do you have the Corsa Tech Guide? There's a diagram, with measurements, in there by Fred Johnson. It shows how a stand is built and how it contains a couple of plates that are welded to the stand and bolt up to the diff, holding the motor firm. Using his method, it looks to me that the motor would be up and off the stand, relieving pressure on the oil pan during starting and running. You could likely adapt this methods to the cart you already have with a little re-engineering. I have to admit, though, I don't see the harm in running if on the pan if you only run it for a short time. If you don't have the Tech Guide, repost and I will scan the page and post it for you. Good luck!!!

Dave

Posted by: corvkid50 ()
Date: November 26, 2007 05:58AM

here's mine
[media.putfile.com]

Ron T
62 Monza 900 CPE 3.1 4SP
62 Monza 700 wagon
64 Huffy Corvair
Up by the big lake
Superior, Wis

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2007 06:00AM by corvkid50.

Attachments:

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: November 26, 2007 07:49AM

I built a run-stand that works ,supporting the block next to the oil pan,using 4-7/16" bolts welded to the sides of each piece of angle iron,up thru the un-used holes in the block..an empty diff case provides starter mounting and mounting of a battery tray,elec fuel pump and start/run switches;close to Ron T's dolly,only up on legs..holes are hidden by lower shrouds,so they have to come off,the oilpan can be removed easily,too..have a "running" 140 on it now..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: November 26, 2007 07:59AM

Scott, I've been out of town for a few days and just noticed your thread. That is me in the you-tube clip that Dave sent.

Just wanted you to know that it is not sitting on the oil pan. The bell housing supports the one end and a piece of 3/8 plywood is wedged under the other end. It works great. I've started two different engines on that same bench. It also sits on casters and I can roll it out into the driveway and run the engine outside so that I am not sucking up all the exhaust fumes.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: November 26, 2007 08:07AM

Cliff

You are a Star- great video .

it looks like you are talking while the engine is running but I can't hear what you are sayng- can you fill us in ?

I see how you were able to keep it off the pan, I guess that method will work for me- I may put pads on my cart to do what you did so they are there permanently.
until I get a welder, wood is good !

1969 Monza Coupe
1966 Nader Invader !
1966 Monza Coupe
www.vaircooled.com
I love Corvairs
Ohio

Date: November 26, 2007 08:09AM

I also have a small electric towmotor pull behnd lift that I can use to lift it p to waist height so I am not laing on the round- when not actualy running an engine I can set the cart back down on it's wheels so it is only 8" off the ground

1969 Monza Coupe
1966 Nader Invader !
1966 Monza Coupe
www.vaircooled.com
I love Corvairs
Ohio

Date: November 26, 2007 08:19AM

That seems like another life time. I had spent quite a while getting it to start. The timing was off badly. I was just glad to finally get it running. It was winter and I was inside with the door closed so I only ran it a few minutes. The next afternoon I took it outside and ran it for about 1/2 hour at 2000 RPM to break in the cam. That is also the engine that dropped an intake valve seat at about 4000 miles. I have another 140 that is now in the car and the engine in the video is getting rebuilt this winter. Michael LeVeque and David Clemens rebuilt the 140 heads that dropped the valve seat. I will be starting over with the block, but at least I feel really good about the rebuilt heads.

There was absolutely no vibration while the engine was running. I just dropped a 5/16 fuel line into the gas tank which is visible in the video and it never budged.
Even when I rolled it out to the edge of the garage, the cart never wandered around due to vibration. It work's great. I'm not a welder, so as you say, "Wood is good!"

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: November 26, 2007 02:33PM

Cliff,

Glad to put a name with a face! I have watched your video a bunch of times now to get some pointers on bench testing. The motor sounded great in the video. Right now my diff is still in the car, so I shimmed my starter out and attached directly to the bellhousing. I read this post just after I tried to start it for the first time. I got a backfire through the carb like you did in your other video. Was your timing too far advanced or retarded in that video?

Also, what's the trouble with starting it with the pan sitting on a bench/wooden dolly? Just curious. I want to make sure I don't screw anything up with mine when I go to start it. I plan on changing the pan gasket later anyway. Thanks!

Dave

Re: Static timing an engine!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 26, 2007 02:40PM

Date: November 26, 2007 02:56PM

Matt,

I knew you'd post that (LOL)! And, right after I put up my post, I went and re-read it since I have it bookmarked! I'll give it a go tomorrow when the rain stops. You're too funny... Thanks!

Dave

Date: November 26, 2007 04:55PM

Dave,

Yes the timing was advanced a wee bit too far. I know how to set the dist according to Matt's instructions. I have been doing it that way for years. My problem was the Petronix Ignitor was not set up right, (my bad) and hence I was not getting a good clean spark at the coil. Coincidentally, I re-installed the ignitor and solved both problems simultaneously.

As for running it on the pan, I don't really know what the problem would be. I've seen a video of a gentleman running his engine while it was sitting on the concrete driveway.

Follow Matt's instructions and it should fire the first time. Good luck.

Cliff

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: November 26, 2007 05:08PM

Thanks Cliff! I had a feeling I was too far advanced, but was so excited to try to fire it off, I figured what the hell and cranked it anyway. I'll follow Matt's tech guide tomorrow and try again. Least I could do since he spends a lot of time trying to help us all out. Thanks again!

Dave

Posted by: Ray W ()
Date: December 21, 2007 01:04PM

Ron, I really like your engine cart. It looks like the attachment that fits on the jack lets you adjust where it is positioned under the cart for different balance points. Like for whether the transaxle is attached to the engine or not.
Would you mind sharing some dimensions? I would like to make something similar to drop an engine over the holidays if it stays warm.

Ray W

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.