Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
car lifts
Posted by: jwilsman ()
Date: September 15, 2020 07:41AM

Hey everyone, I want to invest in a car lift. I've been looking at Quick Jack and Ez car lift. Anyone have experience with either or opinions?
Thanks

-Jeff
St Louis, MO
SMCC
60 700 Sedan,80hp,PG
64 Monza Vert,110hp,4spd
64 Greenbrier 6 door,95hp,4spd
66 MGB GT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: car lifts
Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: September 15, 2020 08:23AM

Love my EZ Car Lift. One thing that I like is that it doesn't have any hydraulics to leak and fail.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 08:28AM by MonzaDave.

Attachments:
Posted by: Allan Lacki ()
Date: September 15, 2020 08:44AM

I also have an EZ Car Lift. I like it. You'll need a powerful drill to raise it. I'm using a Hitachi 9 amp drill motor.

Attachments:
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 15, 2020 10:28AM

Sorry, No pics but I have the EZ Car lift as well. This item was designed and manufactured by a Corvair guy!

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 15, 2020 10:41AM

Buy from a Corvair guy whenever possible!!!

[www.ezcarlift.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 15, 2020 10:47AM

The EZ Car lift weight is 110lbs vs 238 for the Quick Jack. Since you have to move the lifts around that is a big deal. Having a drill for a self contained power source is nice also except that it claims 90 second lift time vs 30 seconds for the Quick Jack.
I'm assuming you have a small shop because a real lift is the only way to go if you have room for it and it gives you an extra parking space.
With the small shop assumption the EZ Car lift also takes up a lot less space than the Quick Jack.
If I was in the market for an EZ Car lift I would be asking people about the lift time with the drill motors they use. It has to vary a lot depending on how powerful and fast your drill motor is.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:08AM

I also have an EZ Car Lift and am very happy with it. With a second set of crossbars I use it on all my cars (biggest one is a 2012 Buick Regal). I use a corded Ridgid drill and to echo what Joel said above, without actually timing it, I can state that it certainly takes longer than 90 seconds to fully lift it. However, I rarely use the full lift and I'm not typically in a hurry (I'm not the world's fastest worker by any stretch of the imagination).

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:13AM

Regarding the crossbars, how big of an issue are they? How often do they get in the way?

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:30AM

Extra parking place like Joel said. cool smiley

Attachments:
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 15, 2020 11:51AM

EZ Car Lift.
If you have the slab and room a large two or four post lift is great.
However for a standard garage, or out in a parking lot, The EZ Car Lift is hard to beat. Made here in the USA. Many have been sold internationally.
As for the braces that attach each side together. These have never been an issue. When the EZ is up, you have access under the car from all sides. It's like it's up on 4 tall jack stands. Extremely stable.
For storage I just tip mine up assembled and out of the way against the garage wall. But it's designed to fit between wall studs when disassembled. And disassembly only takes a few bolts.
As for portability... I've used mine in a parking lot, and in front of my brother's hanger. On any hard surface will do.
When I bought mine years ago, we got it direct from Boytcho. We brought it home in a 3 door Toyota Yaris Hatch Back. We... that's with two adults in the car also!

Finally... Buying a lift, any lift is a huge back saver. Most of the time one has more money invested in hand tools than the cost of a lift. And someday when one puts it up for sale, it's common to get about what one paid for the lift originally.

Ya, you can tell I love my lift!smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 11:53AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: September 15, 2020 12:48PM

larry202br Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regarding the crossbars, how big of an issue are they? How often do they get in the way?

Access with the crossbars isn't an issue - you can see them in the pics. They bolt on each end to tie the two sides together and the length of the crossbars sets the width of the lift (and pads).

On the EZ Car Lift website they (Boytcho) recommends the 59" crossbars for LM Corvair (which is what I have) but you can also use 64" crossbars with hockey pucks. I initially bought the 64" crossbars since my other vehicles all recommend the 64" crossbars. However, I just recently bought the caster kit, and what I found out was that using the casters on the 64" crossbars with my Corvair puts the load so far inboard on each lifting mechanism that it wants to tip each lift towards the center of the car and I actually slightly bent one of the crossbars. I discussed with Boytcho and he agreed that with the casters you want to use the 59" crossbars - I bought a set and he gave me a discount on them. Any questions, give him a call. He loves to discuss his lift and Corvairs in general (he asked for a pic of mine on the lift and I still owe him that).

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 15, 2020 01:34PM

What you got to work with?

Flat smooth concrete? High or low garage ceiling? Need it to be easily portable, sort of portable or never to be moved? Plan to use it for only Vairs? What do your new found friends drive who may want to come over and use it? smiling smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 15, 2020 02:49PM

I also have, and like the EZ car lift. I bought a new Milwaukee drill (big) to do the ups and downs. (don't even think about a cordless drill, unless you have a huge one!) Once the car is up in the air, if you need to, you can remove one of the cross-bars - not the one that passes through the lifting screw, of course. But I have dropped complete drivetrains out with no cross-bar interference, same with a front Cross-member. That said, If I had a location, basically a taller garage, I would have a two-post lift installed. I do not, and never will, so I bought the EZ Car lift. The other EZ Car lift option I like is the 4-wheel roll-around. Once the vehicle is in the air, to a certain point You clip-on these 4 separate supports. They lock securely in place on the lift arms. Then you lower the car and the wheels take up the car off the concrete. You can now roll the car around on 4 large rubber faced wheels. Very steady and sturdy. Two wheels have locks on them to secure the car, and raise it back up when you place it where you want it. My race car lives on that lift, as I write this. And I can still move it around, even without the drivetrain installed.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: September 15, 2020 04:39PM

I also have the drive-over option that allows me to drive the car over the lift when it's in the down position. The bars I got accommodate our Corvairs, '73 Nova and '96 Miata. Lift time is no issue -- around 90 seconds -- especially considering the time it takes to get the car 20" up in the air on jackstands.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 04:41PM by MonzaDave.

Attachments:
Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: September 15, 2020 04:54PM

I have both a two post and four post lifts. I also have the Quick Jack. As some have said, the Quick Jack is heavy. Some may find it too heavy. However, to its credit, it’s also quite strong and safe. I use it only if both my other lifts have cars on them and I need to do wheel or brake work. I think if I had to do it over again, I would get the EZ Lift due to its light weight and ease of carrying it. Getting the car up and down isn’t as easy as Quick Jack with the hydraulic power pack but it’s not a major task running a drill.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: Corveight ()
Date: September 15, 2020 05:08PM

I recently bought one. Looks very well made. I haven't put it to use yet and have a few questions. I know I can call Boytcho but I wanted to hear what our members say.

Is everyone using the recommended lift points as shown in the 1965 shop manual?

Are you supposed to use wood blocks at the rear to clear the pinch welds?

Finally, is there a reason why the platforms sit so far outside of the body?

Warren Holt
Cleveland, Ohio
65 Crown V8
65 Turbo Coupe
68 Monza

Date: September 15, 2020 05:30PM

I have 10 foot ceilings and solid flat concrete floors.

-Jeff
St Louis, MO
SMCC
60 700 Sedan,80hp,PG
64 Monza Vert,110hp,4spd
66 MGB GT

Date: September 15, 2020 06:31PM

Sounds like the EzLift is the way to go.

-Jeff
St Louis, MO
SMCC
60 700 Sedan,80hp,PG
64 Monza Vert,110hp,4spd
66 MGB GT

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 16, 2020 08:21AM

Once the EZ is positioned under the car... 2X4 blocks can be used to position on the car lifting places.
With the FC's, I use 4X4 blocks. Actually anything that clears with the lift in the lowered position will add to the lift height when the EZ is up all the way.
I rarely need to lift mine to the EZ maximum height.

I don't see the platform as being far outside the body. As long as lift is achieved in the jacking positions om the car.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: jb_supermoto ()
Date: September 16, 2020 01:36PM

I chose the Quickjack myself. I liked the fact that there were no crossbars. Also I like the hydraulic part. The hoses have very high quality disconnects that don’t leak. And finally what the earlier posts haven’t mentioned (unless I missed it) was the price. I paid about $1000 plus tax delivered to my house. From Costco on sale. The EZ lift is over $1900 delivered. The only downside if the quickjack is a little heavy.

JB
1966 Corsa 140
1960 700 Sedan 80/PG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.