Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1961 Bucket Seat Trivia
Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: September 14, 2020 01:03PM

Some of you may know this trivia already and not interested in the following.

I removed the bucket seats from a '61 Monza 4-door yesterday and found the seat tracks including adjusting lever are different than other Corvair bucket seats I have removed ('62 & newer). They seem to be more robust, the seat lever lifts up to adjust the seat and each seat has eight fasteners to attach to the floor. Also, each front corner of the bottom cushions has a coil spring for support in those areas, which I've not seen in any other Corvair bucket seats.

I hope the factory workers had some special tools to bolt the seats down because I found some fasteners to be hard to reach.

Wade

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1961 Bucket Seat Trivia
Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: September 14, 2020 03:17PM

Thanks for the information. Have to wonder how many bucket seat '61s are still out there. 1961 Corvairs are seen less than the other years seems like even though a whole bunch were made.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 14, 2020 08:52PM

I have quite a few and never noticed. In my experience '63s are the most plentiful.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: September 15, 2020 05:43AM

The 60-61 were the best bucket seats for having coil springs on the corners like the Corvette. Eliminated to save $ probably because those coils are not present in my 62 buckets. Another interesting feature is that levers on the adjusters were chrome plated on Monza and cad plated on base models. The handle is not detachable so the entire outer adjuster was specific to the Monza buckets.

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.