Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
150hp Turbo: runs rough beyond idle, among other things
Posted by: CorvairJimbo ()
Date: September 14, 2020 10:34AM

Hey all,

So my 64 Spyder has been running great for a long time, but recently developed some issues:

- When I first start the car (running on choke) it sounds like there's a slight backfire. Basically, after starting the car there are random "popping" noises coming from the exhaust. The engine starts and runs fine, but makes a "pop... pop. pop." sound for a bit. After it's warmed up, it doesn't seem to happen often. It wasn't doing it when I had it at the mechanic, but is happening more consistently now.

- I recently took it out for a few long drives, and the engine seems to run rough, but not all the time. On one shorter drive, I took it about 10 miles. First leg, it ran rough. Almost felt like it was missing a bit, but the misfires (when they happened before) were due to fouled plugs and would keep the engine from running t idle. I put fresh gas in it, and the second leg of the trip it ran fine. Took it out Saturday for a 40+ mile trip, and on my way to my destination, it ran fine. On the return trip, it started running rough. I put fresh gas in it, thinking that might help, but it started running even worse. It seems to have most/full power, but runs rough between 1200-3000 RPM, and kind of smooths out at higher RPMs.

Where do I start in diagnosing the problem? It seems intermittent, but I'm worried that I lost a cylinder or something.

1964 Corvair Spyder Convertible 150hp turbo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 150hp Turbo: runs rough beyond idle, among other things
Posted by: CorvairJimbo ()
Date: September 14, 2020 10:39AM

Clarification: by "lost a cylinder" I mean that I might not have spark or I've lost compression. I'll need to test the sparkolaters and wires. Is there an easy way to test compression without special tools?

1964 Corvair Spyder Convertible 150hp turbo.

Re: 150hp Turbo: runs rough beyond idle, among other things
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 14, 2020 01:21PM

Not really, but a simple Compression Tester Kit from HF is only $30.oo

> > > Click HERE, for Harbor Freight Compression Tester < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.