Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Looking for corsa instrument panels with A/c vents LM
Posted by: Pufffie ()
Date: September 13, 2020 05:40PM

Looking for corsa instrument panels with A/c vents LM

needpart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 02:23PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for corsa instrument panels with A/c vents LM
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 13, 2020 05:44PM

Waaaaay easier to make your own.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: September 13, 2020 06:44PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waaaaay easier to make your own.

IF you have a good template it's easy. The factory cuts can be rough and you can most likely do a better job yourself. Go small and test fit the vents and trim as needed, THERE IS LITTLE ROOM FOR ERROR if you don't want a gap to show.

Keep in mind 65 Corsa models DID NOT have A/C, but it was available on the 66 Coras models if you need to check the manuals.

Posted by: Pufffie ()
Date: September 13, 2020 08:09PM

Where would I buy the factory a/C vents are they available

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: September 13, 2020 09:34PM

I believe mark Corbin of Airvair has the paper templates I got mine from Clarks

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: September 13, 2020 11:59PM

I believe i have some

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi

65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 14, 2020 03:05AM

I have templates for the instrument panel and the glove box surround. I used them for my Coupe. They are GM panels off a factory AC car.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG

Date: September 14, 2020 09:36AM

Pufffie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where would I buy the factory a/C vents are they available

Just used AFAIK. Usually the plating is gone, the air flow balls are generic GM and you can get repro units. The bezels can be cracked. In my experience getting the bezels finished and plated is not inexpensive. Beware cheap plating that won't stand up.

I've used the 1967 Camaro repro vents. Same size, but the bezel curve does not fit the dash and there is a gap near the bottom of the flange to the dash so you can't over tighten the bottom screw or you will break the plastic. You have to use the metal vent hose assemblies off the old Corvair ducts.

Clark's sells an aftermarket vent that looks like it uses a different hole size vs stock. I think the 67 Camaro vents look much better even with the gap - just me.

Date: September 14, 2020 09:45AM

Oh! When you cut the holes in the dash make sure you cut it so a metal tab is at the top of the hole. That bends back and you put a screw clip on it for a sheet metal screw to hold the vent to the dash. Sometimes just a well placed hole tapped with a sheet metal screw will work so you don't have to install a screw clip.

On the drivers side you may have to add a metal tab for the screw to the vent hole opening in the dash. My factory 66 A/C car was missing the tab on the drv. side. Use a pop rivet so it will be nearly flush or it will push out the instrument cluster surround.

Posted by: Dexter ()
Date: September 14, 2020 11:53AM

Call the Corvair Ranch.Jeff did have the round side vents.He may be able to help with the dash parts too.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 14, 2020 03:08PM

I supplied Clark's with the templates for a/c installation, their part # C11530. I would prefer you buy them from Clark's.

I have plenty of dash side vent adapter castings and used balls available, but good bezel cores are hard to find anymore. I replate them if they meet my standards and can get enough together for a good sized batch. I've found nothing else fits the Corvair dash.

The aftermarket repop balls are often less than spearical and will often bind in the adapter/bezel assembly. I can/would replate the originals as well, but cannot compete with the repop prices and find it difficult to do the detailing (black internal painting.

-Mark

Posted by: vairjunkie ()
Date: September 15, 2020 08:36AM

I have a spare set of side outlet bezels available if anyone is interested. I also have a NOS pair of outlet bezels and a pair of replated outlet bezels from Mark that he had plated about 25 years ago.
I also have a pair of NOS outlet balls available.
Message me for details.

Eric Starkey

1966 CORSA Convert Marina Blue/Blue/White A01/A39/A82/B37/C05/F41/G61/L87/M20/N34/N36/N44/N96/U69/U80/V74/Z19
1966 CORSA Convert Tuxedo Black/Red/Blk A01/A39/A82/B37/C06/C64/F41/G61/M20/N34/N36/N44/N96/P54/U69/U80/V31/V32/V74/Z19
1969 Monza Coupe #5859 Dusk Blue/Blue A01/A39/A82/A85/B37/B93/F41/G61/L62/M20/N44/U69/Z19

Westminster, CA

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 15, 2020 02:01PM

Eric and all,

If you have any good side vent bezel cores available, I'd be interested in buying them. Or if you have any that you want replated for yourself, let me know. I'd like to work up a quantity large enough to make up a batch.

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.