Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Powerglide Bellhousing Cracks
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 12, 2020 11:13AM

Short of replacement is there a fix for cracks in the Powerglide bellhousing. The cracks are at the base of the three spokes just outward of the mounting bolt holes. The center spoke being the worse. There is no twisting or tearing, just the crack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powerglide Bellhousing Cracks
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: September 12, 2020 11:21AM

Most likely casting flash / Lines, all bell housings have them, without a picture no one here can give you any advice, post a pic of both sides of the suspected cracks?

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 12, 2020 01:55PM

Could be what Dave says but it could also be cracks. I've had several Powerglide bellhousings break. If it is cracked any good welder should be able to fix it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Date: September 12, 2020 01:56PM

They are cracks for sure. But, none of them go all the way through. This is the worse. But, I understand, to someone who wouldn't know the casting flash can appear as cracks. I have my machinist son home this weekend and though it was a l-o-n-g time ago I had 3 years of HS Machine Shop and spent a year full time at LA Trade Tech in their machining program.

Just to kill time I made up these plates that would bolt to the engine bolts and probably tapered head hex screws into drilled and tapped ribs that are external on the housing. I prefer a physical connection to welding (especially cast). I'm just not sure on the convertor clearance. I'd assume the convertor bolts that the greatest protrusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 02:00PM by wittsend.

Attachments:

Date: September 12, 2020 01:59PM

I would much rather have it welded. Aluminum welds great.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 12, 2020 06:20PM

I would replace it. The PG bell housing is the most common and should be pretty inexpensive.

Date: September 12, 2020 08:01PM

I couldn't find one last time I needed one and had to weld it. I finally ended up buying one here after I already had it back together. Now I think I have one spare LM and one EM. I have about 2 dozen manual transmission bell housings.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: September 12, 2020 11:47PM

Those PG bellhousings are notorious for cracking in numerous areas and I'm guessing it's due to the lack of support from all the open areas. If they're not too bad, you can stop drill them and weld it up. Then to help slow the process, you can deburr all the sharp corners and edges where the cracks are likely to start from.

That one in the picture I would replace though as that looks like a serious through crack in a critical area.

Regan Metcalf
Portland, OR

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 13, 2020 03:23AM

I believe I have a loose one down here in Georgia. 3 PG cars scrapped so I should have a couple.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 16, 2020 05:23AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I couldn't find one last time I needed one and had to weld it. I finally ended up buying one here after I already had it back together. Now I think I have one spare LM and one EM. I have about 2 dozen manual transmission bell housings.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How many do you want? $35 ea plus shipping.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 16, 2020 06:00AM

I have a bellhousing from my 66 Convertible that has cracks that are clear through. Everywhere in the photo with a while line is a complete crack through!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Attachments:
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 16, 2020 06:33AM

IMHO way to much time and effort would go into welding a cracked housing. When $35 replacements are available.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: September 16, 2020 07:46PM

Thank you all for the offers to purchase. If it comes to it I will keep them in mind. That said I am somewhat skeptical of a 60 year old part that is prone to cracking. Therefore for the time being I have gone ahead with my bracing of the "spokes."

I opted to make new plates of steel rather than using the original aluminum plates I had fabricated. This is one of the three. The center spoke offers the advantage of tying into the dowel pin. The outer two spokes just don't have the space. Hopefully I'll get the other two spokes installed tomorrow.

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 25 years - In the process of applying CPR.
This car will see no more than 100 miles a year..., 10 miles at a time. If I seem CHEAP (I am) but there is a reason.***

Attachments:

Date: September 17, 2020 10:42AM

"That said I am somewhat skeptical of a 60 year old part that is prone to cracking."
I completely understand that but I'm not sure your fix is better. I would buy one from Ken and call it good. I doubt it will break in the next 100 miles. Actually I would just weld it up but that doesn't cost me much since I can do it.
The common theory on breaking seems to be improper jacking and not an issue with the design.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: September 17, 2020 11:02AM

The bolted connection is way worse than welding, and using steel plates bolted to aluminum is way worse that aluminum! all those bolt holes create stress concentrators, and when steel is used in place of aluminum for reinforcement, the stress concentrator problem is made worse because of the extra corrosion caused from the dissimilar metals... Buy the 35 dollar one and call it good!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: September 17, 2020 11:18AM

I've got to agree with the guys above.

The ribs that are not cracked have already been stressed by the cracked ribs, too. Adding the bolt holes removed material, and made it easier to crack between the holes. Galvanic corrosion between dis-similar metals....

Where are you? Someone close by may have a PG bellhousing. If I'm close, I'll dig one up you can HAVE.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 17, 2020 11:48AM

Are they that uncommon? I mean Joel has "114 Corvairs and counting"... and had to go and buy one. I am with Eric on this one. If someone needed one and they came by here (in person) they would leave with it free of charge. Now how many different PG bell housings are there? Early and late? 140/145 and 164? Or?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 17, 2020 12:21PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are they that uncommon? I mean Joel has "114 Corvairs and counting"... and had to go and buy one. I am with Eric on this one. If someone needed one and they came by here (in person) they would leave with it free of charge. Now how many different PG bell housings are there? Early and late? 140/145 and 164? Or?

And THAT is the $64K question!
I have one sitting out on my front porch right now, but I hesitated to offer it up, because I don't know if it fits the needed application.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: September 17, 2020 12:35PM

American Mel Wrote:
?
>
>
> And THAT is the $64K question!
> I have one sitting out on my front porch right now, but I hesitated to offer it up, because I don't know if it fits the needed application.

2 different PG bellhousings.

Early has a 'silver dollar' size machined spot below the crankshaft seal. Late does not.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 17, 2020 12:36PM

There are 4 Corvair bellhousings Short stroke man. trans and PG. Long stroke man trans and PG.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.