Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Help on tuning the little things
Posted by: spesce ()
Date: September 11, 2020 08:55AM

Ever since I figured out the strange noise that ended up being the flywheel bolts had come loose, I have been running the buggy almost every day for the last 2 months. I have had 150 mile plus days and feel confident with the buggy. While it is running fine, I know there are minor issues that I would like suggestions or your input.

[*] Air/Fuel mixture. Is there a way to adjust the carb without vacuum? I would like to maybe use a oxygen sensor stuck up the exhaust (I basically have straight pipes), Is this available? I had O2 sensors installed on my old trucks exhaust and this made tuning very easy. Since I have straight pipes it does not seem to be enough room to install O2 sensors. Recommendations?
    [*] Stalling around hard turning. I think this is a float issue. Does everyone agree?
    [*] Sometimes when parked hot for 5 minutes the car runs like crap until I get to more or less blow out the carbs for the first mile. Is this just gas draining into the engine that makes it flood? Seems to go away fairly quickly after I rev it up for the first minute.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help on tuning the little things
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 11, 2020 09:07AM

I'm thinking #2 and #3 are related to float/carb. set-up.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 11, 2020 09:08AM

Oxygen sensors need some length of pipe behind them to keep outside air from messing up the readings. You can get wideband sensors with gauges that are really helpful.
The heat from the engine is probably boiling over the fuel flooding the engine. The float level may be high which would aggravate the problem in turns. There are also vent mods to help with the turning issue as well as carburetor rotator kits.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 11, 2020 11:00AM

Instructions for adjusting the carbs are in the shop manuals for the respective year(s). 61 and 65 are the "main" / large manuals with the most info.

Matt (and others) may have posted videos / instructions on setting up the carbs in the FAQs on this site, also.

Adjusting the float may help a little on cornering. But, if you cornering hard a lot, then modifying the carbs is a solution: vent tubes; rotating the carbs and / or relocating the jets are solutions.

The year of your carbs may determine the solution / how far you want to go. I do not know all the ins / outs, but people here who autocross will know more than I do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.