Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Squeak from engine
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: September 09, 2020 11:38AM

I think the baffle hits the crank when people try to reduce the chances of an oil leak by trimming the baffle so that they attach it via bolts to the top block cover itself, so that only the cover and one gasket are bolted directly to the block. Over time, the baffle either cracks around the bolt holes securing it to the top cover or the bolts themselves come loose, dropping the baffle onto the crank.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rfw66 ()
Date: September 09, 2020 12:07PM

For what is it worth...
After building a 140 engine that had been sitting in a short block state for many years, I bolted on a new clutch, and everything to get it finished, I put it on my running stand. After starting it and letting it run for 20 min. I had a squeak that kept getting louder and louder. after shutting it down I removed it from the running stand and removed the Pressure plate and disc and found that the bottom two bolts in the BH had backed out hitting the FW. squeak, squeak squeak.
You might look at that

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 09, 2020 12:09PM

Thank you w. Now I understand. Very unlikely in this case since this person has just had the engine apart. Maybe we should refer to the top shroud as the top shroud and the crankcase cover as the crankcase cover.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 09, 2020 02:06PM

RobertC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Confusing terminology:
>
> Your "turkey roaster" is referred to as "top cover" (if my memory is not failing which it might be).
>
> Here, "turkey roaster" refers to the black sheet metal piece that covers the whole top of the engine.
>
> Hence, confusion.

Thank you. Always something new to be learned.

That said, yes, it is confusing. The "top cover" sure looks like the lid to a real turkey roaster and the sheet metal (whole) cover looks more like a..., well, a fan shroud. And the "top cover" really isn't on top, it's below the stated turkey roast. Does Rosetta Stone Babble etc. offer language classes in "Corvair?" smiling smiley

Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: September 09, 2020 02:30PM

I thought the turkey roaster was the crankcase cover also, cause its got the fan on it, which rotates like it does in a roaster....

Did a leak down, thats was moot. Couldnt hear any leaks but i was looking for a wistle. Also it showed only a 6psi leakage which leaking past the rings and on a fresh motor thats not been broken in well I expect that. Compression goo and even all the way around. So I got a legit stethascope. And you could hear the squeak loudest at the bottom corner toward the front of the truck on cyl 4. I pulled the head.

The pics will tell the you the rest. Needles to say im upset. It was not easy to find or see right off the bat. And the parts will be swapped out no cost to me. But still.....

Everything had good crush, and that one spot was enough to be an issue. Its where I could hear it the loudest.

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: September 11, 2020 04:57PM

Had that problem once after a fuel pump change. The locking screw was too tight binding the pushrod and causing a squeek.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Date: September 11, 2020 10:06PM

I even took the fuel pump out and started it to be sure that wasn't the noise. Hard to believe that little bit could do it, but then again not so hard to believe. I'll be happy once it's together again and running. Giving it a break before I go back to it.

Date: September 13, 2020 07:03PM

Done! No more compression leak. It sounds damn good. 1 lifter, intake on cyl 3 makes noise sometimes...gonna see how it is after a little bit, afterall this engine hasnt been run since 1984. I should go back through the valves one more time too. Ill be sure to link this thread with the project thread. Thanks for the help!

Engine finally quiet!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.