Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BEWARE: Owner Selling 66 Corsa Turbo Coupe in Illinois on Corvair Trader and Hemmings
Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: September 01, 2020 05:44PM

Hey folks!

Thought I would be of service to all of you who maybe looking at the recent post by a guy by the name of Dave Youngblut in Freeport, IL. His asking price then was $14,900 and he rated it is a #2 condition car.

I rented a trailer and made the drive from Green Bay to Freeport, 3.5 hours, 7 hours round trip, just in case it was a car I'd want.

Met the guy. Older gentleman. Quirky. Seemed nice enough at that moment.

We talked about the convertible he just sold (by the way, it went sight unseen to a guy in California..he mentioned his name and it sounded familiar, which I told him I meet a lot of people at conventions, etc....) for the asking price. Remember the one that the pics showed a door that was darker than the rest of the body, folks?

If that car was anything like the one I saw yesterday, I feel sorry for the buyer.

After just looking at the car right away, you could tell this car has significant issues. Super thick paint (single stage enamel that was done in the mid 90's, likely Deltron or Centari) with tons of orange peel, missing trim, suspect body work in the lower corners of the windshield panel, missing lower engine shrouds, etc.

Then, in closer examination, it is a Frakenvair: a mis-mash of parts of other body style and other years. 68-9 windshield padded pillar covers, a 4 door rear seat bottom, a early model gray and white package area, a ridiculously cobbled dash pad that padded so much it bows way up. Carpet is worn and torn, trim is just driver quality at best. 65 rocker trim, missing wheelwell trim (there is a reason why), headliner with holes in it; wheelwells slathered in POR-15 right over the undercoating, trunk recently (like in a few days before) painted and lifting due to brake fluid leaking, all the body seams thick and covered with filler: the list goes on.

But, the big winner is: when I looked at the rear drivers fender, you can tell a huge piece of another fender was sectioned in, and poorly at that. Most of the fender was sculpted in with filler. And inside the rear fender, I could feel the ends of pop rivets holding it in to so far up, they were close to the character line.

Best of all: the fender was sectioned that is was meant to meet the wheelwell lip, but it sticks out in the middle of the wheelwell at least more than a quarter of an inch!

After he asked me what I was wanted to do, he was visibly upset after I politely told him that I wouldn't even make him an offer on it, because it wasn't a car for me. I did help him with what was good with the car and what was off with it and what it needed, and told him he did not have a #2 car. He made no bones that he was shocked I came all the way with a trailer and didn't even want to make an offer.

He has been texting me since and has thanked me a few times for "what he learned about the car" from me, and I told him if he needed advice in selling teh car, I would be happy to help him.

Today, the texts turned nasty from him. He was saying I was a "liar" as he checked with the two guys he mentioned to me if they had met me and they said they didn't (can;t tell ya much there except they sounded familair and I met them) and he went on this ridiculous rant on how he was in the FBI and can smell BS, qand that I don;t have the background I said I did with Corvairs, etc.

I just told him he can take my advice and learnings on the car or not, its up to him and I hope he sells it.

This guy seems to have some big issues to match the car he is selling.

My advice: if you really want to check it out, just know this car is a cobbled mess. This is not even a #3 car. At first glance it might look better than that, but there are far better Corsas out there..and better people to deal with.

If you have any questions on the car I saw and this buyer, please PM me.

BEWARE FOLKS.

Rich T.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BEWARE: Owner Selling 66 Corsa Turbo Coupe in Illinois on Corvair Trader and Hemmings
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 01, 2020 05:53PM

Yikes! Sorry for your wasted trip.

Sounds about like my 'race' car, especially the body work smiling smiley

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Re: BEWARE: Owner Selling 66 Corsa Turbo Coupe in Illinois on Corvair Trader and Hemmings
Date: September 01, 2020 06:24PM

isucorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yikes! Sorry for your wasted trip.
>
> Sounds about like my 'race' car, especially the body work smiling smiley
>
> Eric P
> DeWitt, IA

Hey, you never know, Eric. Thats why I brought the trailer.

The most important thing now is to help other people here understand what this car really is and the seller who comes along with it, who is one piece of work.

Rich

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: September 01, 2020 06:56PM

Anyone who has not heard of Rich Thomson does not KNOW the Corvair community. The FBI must be slipping on its inside investigation sources.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: September 01, 2020 07:28PM

caroseiii Wrote:
> Anyone who has not heard of Rich Thomson does not KNOW the Corvair community. The FBI must be slipping on its inside investigation sources.
>
> Crawford

LOL!!!! Too funny, Crawford!!

rich

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 02, 2020 10:48AM

Thank you Rich! I had noticed that car and looked like something I wanted to check into. Sorry you had to make that trip for nothing.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 02, 2020 11:45AM

This one?

[www.facebook.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:

Date: September 02, 2020 12:38PM

azdave Wrote:
> This one?
>
> [www.facebook.com]

Yes, Dave W., that's the one.

Really awful car. In order to get it to the "#2" Dave Youngblut thought it was, you would have to a complete Kent Sullivan restoration, much like he did in pulling his 66 Turbo convertible apart and dump an easy 100K to get it close to the level to what Kent had his car at.

Plus, the owner, as you can tell from my post, is a piece of work. I did n;t share all of his rants, but rest assured, it was dandy.

Best,

Rich

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: September 02, 2020 01:13PM

Both doors and both quarter panels look like a sack of potatoes, in the pictures. The body line is all over the place where it exists. I can imagine what it looks like in person.

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Date: September 02, 2020 01:30PM

acardon Wrote:
> Both doors and both quarter panels look like a sack of potatoes, in the pictures. The body line is all over the place where it exists. I can imagine what it looks like in person.
>

Don,

You are right. IN person, it was much worse.

The owner wasn't any better, either.

Best,

Rich

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 02, 2020 02:17PM

There's another red lm on FB... on it's 3rd owner in two months!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 02, 2020 02:27PM

MattNall Wrote:
> There's another red lm on FB... on it's 3rd owner in two months!

Matt,

Which one??

Best,

Rich

Date: September 03, 2020 08:50AM

bump

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 03, 2020 09:30AM

pm sent

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 03, 2020 09:34AM

This is the kind of car you can expect to find as sale prices continue to inflate far past the actual value of these old cars.

I was curious about the '61 Rampside on ebay being offered for sale by Rick Hendrick Performance. [www.hendrickperformance.com]

$36K probably puts a smile on rampside owners and especially flippers. Is any 50 year old car car worth this kind of money, especially when even a casual look says that aside from the paint job, what's underneath is a mess.

Attachments:

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: September 03, 2020 09:36AM

Attachments:

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: September 03, 2020 02:33PM

I wonder ,,,,,,,,,,,is the Ash Tray full of cheese as well ? ?

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 03, 2020 02:50PM

Richard Wrote:
> I was curious about the '61 Rampside on ebay being offered for sale by Rick Hendrick Performance. [www.hendrickperformance.com]

At least the seller tells you that it is a daily driver quality vehicle for the $36K asking price. smiling smiley

Driver quality, at first glance a car that appears to be in great condition, a closer inspection will reveal minor flaws in the paint and interior, the undercarriage and engine bay normally looks unrestored. These cars are mechanically sound, fully functional, and are normally enjoyed on the weekends and for special occasions in good weather.

Saw it on the 95 registry and looking about the same as it did in 2016 if the photo date is correct. VIN = 1R124S115161

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2020 02:54PM by azdave.

Attachments:
Date: September 04, 2020 06:13AM

bump

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: September 05, 2020 07:24AM

Having seen some of his cars in his collection, I would say the Rampside is likely a very nice example, in spite of some obvious flaws or rough spots.

I think the Corvair community is not used to the prices going up on our cars. One Rampside sold at Mecum or BJ last year for around $77,000, a real shock to me. I saw the Yenko Corvair sell at Mecum in Kissimmee for over $160,000. I was going to bid it up to $70,000 but it left me in the dust pretty quickly. Hagerty's have done a few articles lately on the Corvairs and put it on the list of the 10 fastest appreciating cars in the collector car market of the 60's. Will it last ? Who knows, cars are and have always been a bad investment. It's a hobby I enjoy and realize that the money I put in is likely mostly gone.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.