Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Towed home today, Clutch Cable Broke ?
Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: September 01, 2020 04:15AM

When using the search function, be sure to change the date range from '30 days' to 'all dates'.

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 4speedoverdrive ()
Date: September 01, 2020 05:37AM

jamesolefjensen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [corvaircenter.com]
>
> I found the post above via Google. Sometimes the "in house" search on this site comes up short.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 01, 2020 09:46PM

Kerry
While you're digging around make sure your engine grounds are in good condition. If they fail the clutch cable will conduct to ground and can become brittle...

Yes! I replaced the shift cable on a 70s Chevelle floor shift for a friend. It had melted in two because the engine ground had come loose from the head.

Then there was me arc welding a crack in a Corvair differential still in the car (engine out) and misplaced the welder ground lead. Melted the emergency brake cable.....eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Towed home today, Clutch Cable Broke ? Need Help with Installation!!
Posted by: 4speedoverdrive ()
Date: September 12, 2020 06:43PM

I got the cable from Clarks and installed it. That went ok, the problem I have is that in the Clarks kit they included a spring. When I pulled the car apart there was no spring on the car. I checked the owners manual and the 66 supplement shows a spring that connects to the shaft assembly and the bracket (6). The bracket looks like it is located just above the rear strut rod, but I cannot locate the bracket to attach the one end of the spring. Can anyone point me to where I should attach the spring or look for the bracket?

Re: Towed home today, Clutch Cable Broke ? Need Help with Installation!!
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: September 12, 2020 07:39PM

The tab is a separate stamped steel part that slides over one of the bracket-to-differential bolts. Basically, it sticks out with a hole for the spring to hook into Someone may have one or you could either: Make one with a small piece of strap steel, or drill a hole in the passenger side lower bracket and hook the spring through the hole. Either one will work.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: September 13, 2020 08:34AM

Mine snapped in my garage while I was adjusting it. Had a new one made locally out of slightly thicker stainless cable.

But in the old days, many friends would call me do pick them up and drive their cars home for them with broken cables. Not real hard unless there is a lot of traffic and red lights.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 13, 2020 10:34AM

I drove mine home three times over the years due to a broken clutch cable. The last time I modified it rather than replacing, that was years ago. Probably should keep my mouth shut.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 13, 2020 08:07PM

Drove my Corvair a couple hundred miles to get home in NJ with a broken clutch cable. Took it to the local Chevrolet dealer to have the cable replaced under the warrantee, and they told me that I damaged the synchro's, and that they were going to rebuild the 4 speed under the warranty. They rebuilt it, but didn't put enough gear lube into the differential / transmission, and on the way back to school in NH, the transmission locked up, snapped the axle, and came to a screeching halt. The car went to the local Chevrolet dealership to be repaired, and the Boston Zone office said that it was a problem caused by the last servicing dealer, and that they should repair the car. There was no way that the car was going to be towed 300 miles back to Jersey. Eventually, the two Zone offices worked it out, and they installed a 1964 differential and transmission into a 1963 Spyder, along with a new clutch, pressure plate & flywheel. It took almost 3 months before I got the car back. The car was rear ended a few months later, and the insurance company totalled the car. That car only had bad luck from the very first day it left the dealership. I won't go into the whole history of the car, but it was horrible. Three tires developed bulges in the side wall in one day. I noticed one, and the U.S. Royal dealer found the others. They replaced all 5 tires which had less than 300 miles on them. It was Honduras Maroon, but it should have been Lemon Yellow!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.