Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Towed home today, Clutch Cable Broke ?
Posted by: 4speedoverdrive ()
Date: August 30, 2020 05:13PM

Just finished filling with gas, got in the car and put the key in the ignition, stepped on the clutch and about halfway down, a bang, and the clutch petal went to the floor and stayed there. I ended up calling roadside assistance and having the car towed home. Wrecker guy was great, he even helped me get the car on the lift, which wasn't too easy because it is a pretty good ramp on the lift.

I'm assuming that the clutch cable broke. The cable is out of the shaft assembly, and loose. You can move the cable up and down by hand. Is this common enough that I should just go ahead and order a clutch cable from Clarks. Are there any other parts that I should also replace as long as I'm in there? It will be a couple of days before I can tear the car apart.

1966 Corsa Convertible with 140 HP and 4 speed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Towed home today, Clutch Cable Broke ?
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: August 30, 2020 05:26PM

Yes, very vairy common- order cable but first check the pulleys and guide- now would be the time to replace those if bad.

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe current being "refurbished"
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 30, 2020 05:33PM

You might want to look at Roger Parents clutch cable (he posts here and makes the carburetor linkage). It is suppose to be better than Clark's repro and it doesn't have the long rod so you can roll up a spare and carry it in the trunk (frunk).

Anybody have one in operation that wants to comment?

P.S. Check the "Z" bar in back. Often the pivots are dried out and need grease.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 30, 2020 05:41PM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might want to look at Roger Parents clutch cable (he posts here and makes the carburetor linkage). It is suppose to be better than Clark's repro and it doesn't have the long rod so you can roll up a spare and carry it in the trunk (frunk).
>
> Anybody have one in operation that wants to comment?
>
> P.S. Check the "Z" bar in back. Often the pivots are dried out and need grease.

Yea, what he said. thumbs up thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 05:58PM

66vairman Wrote:
> You might want to look at Roger Parents clutch cable (he posts here and makes the carburetor linkage). It is suppose to be better than Clark's repro and it doesn't have the long rod so you can roll up a spare and carry it in the trunk (frunk).
>
> Anybody have one in operation that wants to comment?
>
> P.S. Check the "Z" bar in back. Often the pivots are dried out and need grease.

Yep, I just put his pulley's and cable in. Separate post with pictures. Very happy with it.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: August 30, 2020 06:34PM

You got towed because of a broken clutch cable????? Why? Start the car in gear and drive away. You can shift without the clutch, upshift and even downshift.

Would you like to hear the story of me getting out of a sandy area with no clutch cable?

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: August 30, 2020 07:57PM

Wasn't aware of the other cable source till now. I already ordered the Clark's cable so they can get it in the mail. I may look at this as a spare.

I did try to start and drive home with no clutch, I've done that before (not on a Corvair though). I couldn't get the car in gear and I didn't want to force it. I even rocked the car back and forth thinking the gears were interfering with each other. Anyway, I pay for roadside assistance through the insurance company. As long as you have the service might just as well use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2020 08:06PM by 4speedoverdrive.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 31, 2020 12:14AM

It must have been frustrating. It wouldn't go into first at all? Weird.
After you have replaced the cable, and lubed up the area needed. Drive the car to a large empty parking lot. With the engine warmed up, turn off the ignition. Put the car in gear, (no clutch) and turn the key to start it. Usually the car will start, and start to move. Practice matching the RPM with load, slipping it into neutral, lower the revs and slide it into the next gear. After a while it will become 2nd nature. The fun part is coasting up to red lights, and doing it again. As far as getting into gear. It shouldn't be that tough. A few inches and the gears should mesh. There is always a chance it will happen again.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 31, 2020 05:03AM

Order Roger's and use the Clark's as a spare. The Clark's wire is too coarse and they break quickly. That is why Roger started making them from what I understand.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 05:05AM by joelsplace.

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: August 31, 2020 06:39AM

I agree with Joel 100%. Keep the Clarks as a spare. Buy one from Roger or find a NOS one. The Clarks repops do not last very long.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: August 31, 2020 07:27AM

4speedoverdrive Wrote:
> Wasn't aware of the other cable source till now. I already ordered the Clark's cable so they can get it in the mail. I may look at this as a spare.
>
> I did try to start and drive home with no clutch, I've done that before (not on a Corvair though). I couldn't get the car in gear and I didn't want to force it. I even rocked the car back and forth thinking the gears were interfering with each other. Anyway, I pay for roadside assistance through the insurance company. As long as you have the service might just as well use it.

Also, while your under the car... Check your fuel and brake lines. I put Clark's stainless steel lines in while I was under there and also put in Roger Parent's fuel linkage divots. His stuff is top notch. Very happy with the money I spent, and hoping I eliminated future problems.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: August 31, 2020 09:43AM

My clutch cable broke a couple of months ago. Right in the area that goes around the pulley. It was a Clark's replacement from a few years ago. It only had 10k maybe 20k miles on it. I was a little miffed. This time around I installed Clark's coated version. Fingers crossed that I'll get a few more miles out of it but not counting on it; I also bought Clark's 2 piece cable and put it in the trunk.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 31, 2020 09:49AM

The 66 transmission shifting is "heavier" than the earlier ones which might explain the difficulty getting it into gear without the clutch. Also worn/sloppy shifter bushings can add to that. Plus you did not mention the immediate atmosphere you were in (shifting without a clutch in city bumper to bumper traffic is asking for trouble IMO). You made the right call for the tow truck. That is why we pay for that insurance. With me it is AAA.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: August 31, 2020 10:20AM

You can store a spare clutch cable in the rocker molding on a late model.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 31, 2020 10:33AM

4speedoverdrive Wrote:

> I did try to start and drive home with no clutch, I've done that before (not on a Corvair though). I couldn't get the car in gear and I didn't want to force it. I even rocked the car back and forth thinking the gears were interfering with each other. Anyway, I pay for roadside assistance through the insurance company. As long as you have the service might just as well use it.

When younger I drove a VW with a broken clutch cable to get it home. Now I'm mature and have good tow insurance. As you said "As long as you have the service might just as well use it."

The 66 and newer transmissions can be hard to get in first gear with the clutch engaged with the engine off.

Also what gear oil are you using? I found the 8OW90 Brad Penn reduced shifting effort vs. the Sta-lub 85W90 (richard1 was right).

Date: August 31, 2020 10:39AM

Thanks for the comments.

I looked for the Parents clutch cable source, but did not find anything, is there a thread or a website that I can visit.

While it may have been possible to drive the car home without a clutch, getting the tow truck worked fine for me. I wasn't sure why it would not go in gear and did not want to screw up something else. The only thing it cost me was about an hour of my time waiting for the tow truck. Besides that hour was kind of fun. I was stranded at a gas pump and a number of people came over to comment on the car. Plus the tow truck driver helped me get the car on the lift in the garage, I'm not sure how I would have done that if I was alone. I certainly would not have tried to drive it up on the lift with no clutch.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 31, 2020 10:44AM

If you need to position the car in the future with no clutch or it won't run for whatever reason disconnect the coil positive wire, put it in gear and crank the starter to move the car. I've done that several times over the years. It will get you out of an intersection if your car quits. Yet another option lost on an automatic car.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: August 31, 2020 12:09PM

I Broke one prematurely a few years ago right at the ball where it attaches to the clutch lever. Make sure it is greased well and rotates well. Mine broke because it was stuck and was not rotating at all.

Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: August 31, 2020 04:54PM

While you're digging around make sure your engine grounds are in good condition. If they fail the clutch cable will conduct to ground and can become brittle...

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: September 01, 2020 01:32AM

[corvaircenter.com]

I found the post above via Google. Sometimes the "in house" search on this site comes up short.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.