Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Transmission Selector Shaft - Pitted, leaking
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 27, 2020 09:59AM

Has anyone tried to sleeve the transmission 'selector shaft' - the shaft that the shift coupler attaches to, that sticks out of the trans?

I apparently didn't pay attention to how pitted mine was, when I replaced the seal, and it leaks a fair amount, unless I park it in the right gear (2 or 4).

A sleeve may be able to be installed without removing the transmission - or - is there enough movement of the shaft that it wouldn't fit through the tight bore tolerance, behind the seal.

Just thinking of ways without pulling it apart, under the car.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts / Corvair Minnesota / Corvanatics
61 Rampside, 66 Monza AC Vert, 66 AutoX, 66 Flexi-Flier AutoX, Manx Vair Buggy, Rupp Chevy Jr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transmission Selector Shaft - Pitted, leaking
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 27, 2020 10:30AM

Ther's a slightly smaller ID seal available...but with pitting? In our FAQ's.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 27, 2020 10:50AM

Brakleen
J B Weld
Emory cloth
Clark's seal C497

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: August 27, 2020 11:08AM

The only real way to fix it is to pull it.

I have done a couple of different ways with success and one is with JB weld, not the 5 minute stuff either, and the other is a thin braze and machine back close and then polish to final size. Solder is to soft to last any real time.

With the JB weld you can use a file and a drill motor for 99% of the bulk but then after you need to polish to finish.

I have not ever used a file and drill motor for the brass but I suppose you could like above.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 27, 2020 12:50PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Brakleen
> J B Weld
> Emory cloth
> Clark's seal C497

The deepest pit is probably 1/16". No amount of reasonable emery cloth will repair it.
The transaxle came out of a Corvair powered Cord....and looks like it spent time on the ocean floor. Oddly, the inside is perfectly clean!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 27, 2020 01:47PM

Well the items I listed were in the order I'd use them.
The emery cloth is to smooth the J B Weld back down flush with the shaft, filling the pits.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: August 27, 2020 05:28PM

When I had the Trans in my R/S Rebuilt, I had the trnsmisson rebuilder (Dan Dromerhousen) install and NOS shift shaft I was able to locate.
Once installed I added the Shift Coupler boot that the factory would have installed. So leaks and the shift shaft is protected from the elements (mostly) by the boot. Will change out the the boot once it gets weathered.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.