Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Alignment shop in/near Long Beach, CA?
Posted by: statue4 ()
Date: August 16, 2020 12:20PM

I was hoping someone could point me towards an alignment shop that will do these cars. I am located in Long Beach, California. If it matters: I'm looking to get a front end alignment after I replace my control arm bushings.

Side question: the steering has been loose ever since getting the car, is there anything down there I should inspect or adjust?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2020 12:20PM by statue4.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alignment shop in/near Long Beach, CA?
Posted by: mwr ()
Date: August 16, 2020 02:18PM

Miller Wheel Alignment in Long Beach. They know Corvairs, or at least one of the guys there does, They have a good reputation among the local Corvair clubs

Date: August 16, 2020 04:56PM

Thanks! Looking at it closer, I may have to replace replace one or both of the steering arms. I'll see how it is after the new bushings are in

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: August 16, 2020 05:49PM

Steering arms do not wear! Common is the pitman bushing and steering box and idler arm.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 17, 2020 01:43PM

You do not say what year? If LM, you should get the rear aligned, also.

Never had an EM, so not sure what is required for rear alignment - I think shims, but not sure.

Pitman arm bushing: You can test by laying by steering box and have someone slightly turn the steering wheel. If really worn, it will be obvious.

Steering box: Remove the plastic cover (driver's side) and check the lash adjusting screw no the steering box. If the top of the screw is even with the lock nut, someone has overtightened the screw. Picture in shop manual. Probably only solution is to find a replacement box or have someone rebuild yours - if there are parts available.

Posted by: 65 Corsa Vert ()
Date: August 18, 2020 03:01PM

I will warn you of going to Millers. I went there based on reviews from this forum but they destroyed my brand new strut bushings. I had to go back twice just to get alignment close, but all they did was destroy brand new bushings. They never could align it properly. I replaced the bushings they destroyed and went to Glenns Alignment in Costa Mesa. He did an excellent job. Since going to Millers I have heard of a number of people having bad work from Millers. PM me and I can send a pic of the mutilated bushings if you would like to see.

Glenn's Alignment
123 Industrial Way, Costa Mesa, CA 92627

Small place essentially a one an shop but he treated me right. It is a bit of a pain to get there from LBC. I am near El Dorado Park and it was worth the drive down PCH grinning smiley

Good luck
Paul

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: August 18, 2020 03:36PM

Used to take all the cars that we did at the shop to Gardnea Bear Aligment on Crenshaw in Gardena. Stan was the man! But that was over ten years ago. He knew and understood the corvairs as did his daughter. Never had an issue and was prices fair (compared to all the other shops that equated four wheel alignment with Porsche owners)

Address: 13120 Crenshaw Blvd, Gardena, CA 90249
Hours:
Open ? Closes 5PM
Phone: (310) 327-6818

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Date: August 24, 2020 12:26PM

solo2r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steering arms do not wear! Common is the pitman bushing and steering box and idler arm.

But if you hit a curb hard enough they do bend...

Date: August 26, 2020 06:53PM

So I ended up taking it to that Gardena Bear Alignment. I would bring it there again. Good price and the car handles fine. The guy advised me that it would ride a whole lot better if I replace ALL of the old bushings front and rear, but I was just trying to get it back on the road after hitting a curb and bending a control arm and busting some of my control arm bushings.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 26, 2020 07:24PM

Great!.. good to find a business you have condence in!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.