Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: 62 rampside rejuvenation!
Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: September 29, 2020 10:26AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> autocomman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Done and done! 1998 honda civic power steering, steering coupler ordered.
>
> > Mark
>
>
> Please share a part number and a source.

Don't have a part number ..just do an eBay search, lots of them up there, that's what I did

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 30, 2020 02:06PM

Well got the carbs off and most of the goo/coating that was in the intake logs was gone, I kinda figured that. A few shots of brake clean and they are now spotless.

Got the #51 jets in and it's drivable. Air cleaners off its still a little unhappy, but air cleaners on and it runs pretty good. No stalling, I can tip in nice and slow to move it around a parking lot. Much much better. I think though 52s are gonna be the solid answer. Air cleaners on vs off shouldn't be a tipping point. I'm gonna chalk it up to the fuel, and the .060 overbore. Even if the 52 is a little rich, that's way better than lean, especially in an air cooled.

Also got the window channels, and robots, but I forgot a stupid robot stake tool. Gotta order that. And I don't wanna keep working in 95 deh sun, so I'm gonna call it a day

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 01, 2020 04:13AM

Robots ? ? ? confused smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: October 01, 2020 08:23AM

Rivets...apparently if you spell it rivits auto correct makes it robots. I wish I had robots to install them.

Date: October 03, 2020 07:39PM

So the shift coupler install isn't as straight forward as it is on a non FC. I dont know the LM EM terms quite yet, so if someone wants to fill in that info I would like to know...

You can see in teh first pic how loose it is, Im sure we all know how crappy the OG design is. You can see light around a new pin. Anyway, there is no shaft to clamp onto once the original coupler is cut off. I made a mark on the shaft and measured to the end of the stock coupler, cut it off. Had to remove around an inch more so keep the length the same. If you dont compensate for the ujoint being longer you wont have enough adjustment in the front of the shaft.

Made a sleeve from 16ga sheet metal to close the hole up a bit, then a piece of 5/8 round bar which fit in the coupler. Weld weld weld. Coupler will tighten up pretty good on the round bar. I dont know if this ujoint had a larger end on one side or if it had been opened up more on one side when it was removed. Either way, the smaller end fits very snugly on the trans side, and the larger side went on the shift rod.

So, Ill find out tomarrow how much slop I removed. The ball and cup dont seem too bad, but horizontal pivot is pretty loose so when you put pressure on the shifter left and right, thats the next point of looseness. Ill try to get a video to demonstrate. Also Im not sure how much the front shaft support really matters as far as how loose everything feels. I mean its stupid how worn it is. All I could do is find a bushing and see if I could ream out the support enough to press it in. The shift shaft is .74 inches, so a 3/4 bushing would do. Eh, that way more work, we will see what happens. Pics!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 07:47PM by MattNall.

Date: October 04, 2020 03:23PM

Well that ujoint is amazing. Pretty much imporved it 200%. Its definatly drivable, finding the gears is a no brainer now, no guess work on weather youve got it out of gear or where its going to go. This is something everyone should do. Dump that old pin crap and go with a positive connection like this. Man its awesome.

But there is still room for improvement! Watch the videos, you can see the other 2 points where mine is worn. The shift shaft support and the pivot I mentioned before. I ordered a bushing for the shift support. That will take care of the shift shaft moving, then we will see if I wanna attack the pivot. I think the easiest things to do with that is going to be a really thin shim to try and take up some of the space between the shift lever and the piviot bracket. But im not sure if thats a roll pin or what in there holding it together. If its gonna be a nightmare to get the pin out and back in, I may not do antyhing.

The slop demonstration was done in gear FYI

Underneath view of shifter pivot

Shifter view of slop

Top view of shifter pivot and looseness

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 05, 2020 07:50PM

Buy a union /coupler for copper pipe and trim for a quick bushing.

ACE hdwre has packs of brass sheets 4x6" make nice durable shims when greased.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 06, 2020 05:52AM

Plus, again, there were several answers to the bushing dilemma 9 days ago on page #4.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 27, 2020 06:05AM

[ssl.corvair.com]

Item #14?
Read what they say below the part number.
Or yes, you'll just have to get yours bored and source a bushing. Most home improvement/farm supply stores are now carrying an assortment.

Date: October 06, 2020 01:09PM

Yeah bushing order from McMaster. Couple of bucks. Should be able to open the support up with an adjustable termed pretty easily till I get the right fit. Should be pretty easy. Also I found out the shifter is attached to the pivot with a roll pin, probably a Hardened roll pin. So I'll order from clarks in a few days. That I'm sure is worn and may just take care of any further issues. But just the coupler alone, like I said made it drivable without any issues. Probably tolerable for most.

Date: October 07, 2020 09:47PM

Got the #52 jets in, problems fixed. Nice and snappy, no bogging or anything. Need to grab my carb sync tool and just dial the carbs in a little better, but overall its pretty happy. Speedo reads about 4mph fast, bummer there. While I thought I was cruisin at 55 on the freeway only doin 50ish haha. Loves to go 50, 55 is ok, but I feel like im pushin it a bit doin 60+.

Temp switch I finally got hooked up, the harness was damaged so I hadnt hooked it up yet as I only had driven it a mile or so. And the temp light comes on after about 5 min of driving. Not hot at all, and it is the temp sensor triggering the light, so I need a temp switch. Also unstuck the passanger side vent. Got a used cable to fix the drivers side, thats next.

Got her aligned today too. Found a really good local shop finally, guy understands how suspension gemoetry works and how everything effects everything. Not just someone who puts it on a machine and makes all the colors green. Infact he did the alignment with a bubble gauge and a toe gauge. 0 camber, +2 caster, toe in 1/16. Drives great. I need to double check the steering box is actually centered on the high spot, some slop in the box which I know is normal, cause its old, but overall im happy.

Also noiced the license plate frame. I know the plate isnt origianl, should be black and yellow for 62 in california. Up till 69. 1970 they went blue and yellow. Love to know the history of the truck, cuase its a true no options truck. So maybe a fleet vehicle or commercial. I doubt it was sold outside of california, wouldnt want a car with no heater where it gets cold. But the plate frame is from ACME Chevrolet in National City.. Hard to see, but thats it. I found a pic of the dealer from 1958, but dont know how long they were around. The guy I bought it from had it since the 80s. He bought it from a guy who got it from a dealer in Nevada, but so far as I know the previous owner never had it running. Who knows. Being out of the system I dont know if there is any way to figure out its history. CHP visit tomarrow to get the VIN verified and I can finish up the paperwork at the DMV. Then gotta clean it up. Dont think Im gonna drive it much as I initially thought before selling. No seat belts and crazy people in LA. But Im definatly gonna have some fun with it.

Date: October 07, 2020 10:25PM

Great "Starter" for someone who loves bodywork!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: October 08, 2020 09:36AM

Personally I wouldn't do much of anything to the body. New door seals and glass seals. It's earned it's patina. But to each their own winking smiley

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 08, 2020 12:21PM

I love the story! My 63 Rampside (bought from the original owner- I have owned it since 1980) came from Felix Chevrolet (Downey Calif.?). It also had the blue/yellow plate. 36 539T.

PM sent

Date: October 08, 2020 06:18PM

3 DMV visits, 1 CHP and 1 scale visit (2800lbs) and its registered! Plates and all. ran great today to. Drive it about 50 miles since yesterday. Some highway, mostly beating it around the streets. I do with it was a 4 speed, but its cool. Next to do the window channels and then to clean the beast.

Date: October 10, 2020 01:55PM

Date: October 10, 2020 08:00PM

Window channel seals done. Wasn't too hard, I wish I ordered the vent window seals too, but I have to draw the line somewhere. I know some of you disagree, but this truck will be moving on to someone else eventually. Not like the song windows are hard to get out, infact, they are the easiest doors to remove the wing windows and disassemble I've ever worked on. Springs are missing on the window regulators, but with them properly lubricated and new felt guides they go up and down nice and easy.

Also out a shift shaft seal on, that was fail. It's such a right fit that it cocked, and we all know when it does you've ruined the seal. So that sucks. I got it in, but it's mangled and drips, so gotta get a new one. Also the trans is less happy with GL5 gear oil, 80-90. I'm guessing this would prefer a GL4 85-90 or something. Thoughts on that? It's got a slight crunch into 2nd sometimes, not bad, synchro is prolly a little tired, but a thicker or different oil will prolly help. Doesn't do it all the time either so I'm not too worried about it.

Gonna try and get it cleaned up tomorrow, and some pics then too. Still runs great. Little cold blooded, little stumbly off idle till it's for some heat in it. Don't think a choke adjustment will help. I've got 52 jets in the carbs. What do people run on a .060 over motor?

Date: October 10, 2020 08:07PM

GL-4 ONLY..5 is too slipery..

Date: October 10, 2020 08:50PM

MattNall Wrote:
> GL-4 ONLY..5 is too slipery..

YES!
X2
What Matt said!

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: October 10, 2020 09:41PM

It's getting parked after tomorrow till I get the new seal. Good thing I have a jug of GL4 for the datsun trans in my sprite haha...oil too slippery? winking smiley

Date: October 11, 2020 12:31AM

autocomman Wrote:
> It's getting parked after tomorrow till I get the new seal. Good thing I have a jug of GL4 for the datsun trans in my sprite haha...oil too slippery? winking smiley

Just read richard1's paper. > > > Click here for Richard's White Paper on "The Difference between GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils" < < <
He thoroughly explains the issues.
Richard Widman IS our resident Oil EXPERT.
He does KNOW what he is talking about, not just some internet dweeb that THINKS he knows the difference between 10-30 and gear-lube.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.