Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: 62 rampside rejuvenation!
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 17, 2020 10:42AM

autocomman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
As long as its smooth and easy to find the gears.

Lol...you have not driven many Corvair FC's, huh?. There is a reason the earlier design shifter is called the 'Mystery shifter'...and its not only because it's Question Mark shaped!

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: September 17, 2020 02:45PM

I have never driven a FC but maybe today will be the day, and yeah, after getting the shifter back together I see why it's called that. I'm gonna have to weld the holes in the coupler at the trans and redrill them to tighten it up. But everything up front is on good shape. And it works much better after cleaning and lubing the whole pivot mech. At least this is a 3 speed so only 4 spots for gears

Date: September 17, 2020 08:18PM

Well got it on the ground, steering wheel back on, turn signals working. Had to made a battery trey cause well, the old one wasnt gonna hold much. Is it pretty? not so much, is it functional? Oh yeah, battery wont go anywhere.

Then I went to start it up to take it round the block, maiden voyage, and well...wont run for crap. Long story short the 58 year old ignition coil died. Speced out fine so I thought Id take a chance, and it worked fine for a bit. Oh well. Maybe tomarrow.

Date: September 19, 2020 07:00PM

Got the new shoes on today, sweet lens flare bro. 15x6 with a 4 inch back space. No rubbing anywhere. No clearance issues at all. They are a bit shiny for the patina but they look great. I have no complaints.

Also got the engine compartment seals in. Turns out the ignition coil was fine and there is an issue with the motor leaning out on tip on. Not sure why yet, there is another thread on that issue. But it had its maiden voyage yesterday. Drives pretty well. Steering box is a little loose, to be expected. Brakes feel good, seating em in and they actaully feel pretty good. Clutch adjustment was a bit tricky. But I got it dialed in.

Trans shifts well, no syncro in 1st im guessing in the 3 speed? And oiy, 3 speeds, the 2-3 shift, holy crap hah. WaaaaaaaahhhhHHHHHHH, blaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. It needs a gear stuck right in the middle of 2 and 3. A 4 speed would make this way more fun, but what ever haha. I gotta figure out the low speed tip in issue and she will be good.

First drive 1

First drive 2

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: September 22, 2020 03:36PM

congratulations, I know first hand what a great experience it is when you take it out for that initial drive. You are really coming along with that truck.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: September 23, 2020 09:46PM

Should have the registration done this friday as well, first time since 1984? Gonna be goo to get it out and washed up

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 24, 2020 04:51AM

Sooooo.....What ever became of these issues?
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: September 26, 2020 11:17AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
> Sooooo.....What ever became of these issues?
> [corvaircenter.com]

Pending. I will definitely co.plete the threads when it's fixed as it's too hard to drive as it is. I have #51 jets coming and I'm gonna clean out the intake logs. We will go from there cause honest that will just about wrap up the drivetrain.

I do need to do something with the shifter though. Even being a 3 speed going from 1st to 2nd sometimes even with a gently push it would just kiss reverse and it won't move smoothly through the neutral gate to 2nd. The coupler is crazy worn which I know is common. The holes are all wallowed out. Gonna try and weld it close and redrill it. Only other option is to dump that coupler completely and go with something else. Just about everything else in the shifter except the support is good. The support would have to be bushed, and there isn't much meat there. We will see how the coupler goes first

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 26, 2020 11:41AM

Check our FAQ's for Honda Coupler that works.

Search Resultsfor "honda coupler"

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 26, 2020 09:51PM

Done and done! 1998 honda civic power steering, steering coupler ordered. See? This is why good forums are good. That will be a good fix definitely. Was there also a change in the spring setup at the shifter as well?

Also the shaft support has no bushing in it, it's a small loop, maybe 1/2inch wide. Anyone have a solution for bushing that? Or do I just need to source a bushing and figure it out

Mark

Date: September 27, 2020 06:05AM

[ssl.corvair.com]

Item #14?
Read what they say below the part number.
Or yes, you'll just have to get yours bored and source a bushing. Most home improvement/farm supply stores are now carrying an assortment.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 27, 2020 10:04AM

For the support I just made one. I think I found some pipe the right size or drilled it out and then just welded it to a piece of flat steel.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: September 27, 2020 11:23AM

Yeah it's #14, but mine isn't the fancy one with the grease fitting. It's just a steel support

Date: September 27, 2020 12:58PM

Drivers door replaced. THe lower hinge wasnt exatly attached to the door anymore. Match is, well ok. Not great not horrible. I wont be tossing the door incase someone wants to repair it to put it back on, patina and all. It is nice to be able to get in the drivers side now.

I also have new window channels coming. One thing I can see happening is slamming the door and breaking a window cause there isnt much of anything left in the channels. That will be the only weatherstripping ill be doing.

And I still need a drivers door handle, anyone??

Date: September 27, 2020 01:32PM

Inside or outside?

Date: September 27, 2020 06:31PM

Outside handle

Date: September 28, 2020 09:23AM

I have a driver quality one with screws and small pits but decent chrome. $25 shipped.
Let me know.

Date: September 29, 2020 07:03AM

Pictures

Attachments:

Date: September 29, 2020 07:06AM

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2020 07:06AM by Wagon Master.

Date: September 29, 2020 07:19AM

autocomman Wrote:
> Done and done! 1998 honda civic power steering, steering coupler ordered.

> Mark

Please share a part number and a source.

Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.