Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 62 rampside rejuvenation!
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 26, 2020 11:18AM

And if you are using one of the bottom studs to pick up the engine- BAD IDEA. Matt meant using the slot on the rear engine mount bracket after it is installed and tightened. I hope you don't break the engine case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 26, 2020 11:23AM

autocomman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> The resistor wire though, is that just in the section between the rear harness connector and the coil? It didnt run through the whole harness I assume right? The wiring is kinda hacked and I need to fix it properly. Figured Id remove the resistor wire and replace with a ballast resistor.
>

Not sure I understand your reasoning. eye rolling smiley
Your wiring is "Hacked", and you are going to fix it with another HACK? hot smiley
Why not do it correctly? confused smiley
Or even better, just replace the entire engine compartment wiring harness if it is that bad! winking smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: August 27, 2020 07:26PM

I do chassis electrical for a living so no electrical will be hacked. I don't see any reason to source a resistor wire when the correct ballast resistor is easy to get. The coil wiring had been hacked. From what I gather the resistor wire is in the rear harness so I can easily remove that one wire, replace it with a regular wire and tie in the ballast resistor. Not hacking it at all, infact seems to be common practice here if you still have points.

Yes I did put it up off one of the studs just to get it off the table. Nothing happened. But I won't pick it up again without the front bracket. Still with the tin at the powder coaters.

The filter adaptor I got is for a truck/van/wagon. Got the top gover bolted back on today with a new bearing installed. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be to change it. But of course when I did the bearing on the idler pulley, somehow I bent the crap outs the pulley. I wasn't thinking when I went to push the pulley back up a little and how I supported the pulley, well let's just say it's one of those stupid mistakes where you know better. So I have a used one coming with a belt guard which I figure wouldn't hurt. Also gonna add the belt guard to the blower side of the belt as well. And ordered new generator mount bushings as mine are well trashed...anywho

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 27, 2020 08:00PM

You're doing great

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 31, 2020 08:53PM

Ok, some pics from the last week or so. New fan bearing install and what not.

Trans is attached, just waiting on tin still, oiy. Im gonna pull the oil pan once its back in the truck. It will jsut be easier to do that and clean it out, reseal it once its in there hanging above my head. Stuck a new inputshaft seal in there, waiting on new output shaft seals.

Also pulled the voltage regulator, rear harness and tail lamp housings to clean it all up. Clean the points on the regulator and the ground contact pads. Gotta clean the tail lamp sockets as well. Rear harness is actually in good shape. No reason to retape it or do anything other than clean all the pins on it, which I did. Resistor wire is intact and fine. Ill double check voltage on the coil once its running again. I will need to replace the wire that goes to the temp sensor on the head though. Its pretty trashed. So yeah...thats bout it for now.

Also, that transaxle weighs a frekin ton. Am I good lifting the whole powertrain as a unit with the lifting eye on the bellhouising and the engine mount bracket in front? Last thing I wana think about is cracking that bellhousing from the weight. I need to roll the assembly out on a cherry picker to get it over the big hump in the shop door. I can pull the trans off again and do em seperate if I really have to, but id prefer not to. Thoughts?

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 01, 2020 06:28AM

I use a chain attachment between the bellhousing eye and the rear motor mount bracket for lifting with a hoist. I just use a different link depending on just the engine or complete powertrain.

When installing exhaust manifolds I bang on them with a hammer and then tighten the nuts a little more.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 03, 2020 12:26AM

Well got half the powderload in. The shop doing it is having a hard time degreasing things. Infact they dont normally take stuff this dirty...hopefully I have the rest back by the weekend so I can get it done and fired up. Cant stand being so close and not being able to get it done. I cant lift the motor really to remove and clean the oil pan and fill the motor. Anyway, 2 obligatory pics. Its looking good. I will say It could look beter. I always see the litle details I could have improved on. Using old hardware is alwyas touch, cleaning, clear coating etc etc. Usually Id just go new, but cost, and the fact the flanged hardware works so well, I dont wanna delete that, not do I wanna source correct rpelacement hardware. All the old stuff is still in good shape.

Also a pet peve of mine, the steel lines that are not perfectly straight, meaning they had been bent along the life of the car and when you straighten em they are never quite perfect. Takes a lot of time to work those kinks out and get them visually pleasing again. But really, its lookin good. Its a busy engine compartment.

Is there a grommet or something people use to insulate the plug wires in the holders on the fan shroud?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 03, 2020 05:41AM

>
> Is there a grommet or something people use to insulate the plug wires in the holders on the fan shroud?
>
>
>
>

If you mean the ignition wire holes, yes, they are Vairy mandatory or it will overheat. I recommend you go with Seth's silicone wires and be done with it. Sold on this site. He may sell, just the boots, but your better off with all new wires

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: September 03, 2020 08:11AM

Most of us coat them with PlastiCoat for tool handles.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 03, 2020 08:32AM

Yeap , misread your post, plastic dip is the way to go, a couple of coats.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 03, 2020 08:55AM

Go easy on the dip thickness if you're going with Seth's wires. His are by far a superior product and I find they fit nicely with the bare loom holders without damage.

Date: September 03, 2020 09:00AM

I picked up a set of ac delco wires. They do have the boots on them, and yes, the wire holders is what I was referring to. Plastidip it is!

Date: September 05, 2020 08:02PM

And this happened today....Much easier to install when you pull unbolt the axles from the hubs...dont ask.

Should run monday. If all goes well and it deosnt dump oil everywhere I can get the valves adjusted and thats that.

Then I have to get the new morese cable installed for the throttle, that will be interesting. Then repack the rear wheel bearings, redo the rear brakes (fronts are done) and bleed them. Then all the suspension bushings and ball joints and shocks. Then tires, but lets be honest, ill prolly drive it around the block on the old tires winking smiley

The shift linkage is a mess too. The support bracket the linkage slides in is a hole that really keeps the linkgage from falling on the ground winking smiley Gonna have to look into putting a bushing in it, same with the other parts of the linkage. We will see how crazy I wanna get. As long as its smooth and easy to find the gears. I didnt put the tin over the exaust manifolds yet either. That way I can see leaks, and I dont have to worry bout getting oil in there when i pull the valve covers for the adjustment, and then I can deal with any exhaust leaks.

I love the shiny engine in the old truck, the shock when people see it.

Date: September 05, 2020 08:09PM

But now you'll have to keep it that way!! GG

Date: September 05, 2020 10:51PM

I love it rusty just the way it looks honestly.

Date: September 07, 2020 10:25AM

I meant just the engine!!GG

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 07, 2020 10:43AM

Looks great! How about the rubber between the body and the side and front shrouds?

Date: September 07, 2020 07:23PM

At this point in time there will not be any rubber in there...i gotta finish what I have and reassess on the $$ side of things.

Fired it up today! Not pissing oil everywhere, idles nicely. Need to get the carb in sync, but timing and dwell are set. Valves adjusted. I have a big hole in teh pope between the cylinderheads in the exhaust. The effing fan hits the shroud. It needs to be sunk down like 1/16" Im super pissed cause im gonna have to pull it all apart and most likley pull the top cover to get the assembly in a press and support the bottom of the bearings to push the hub down a hair. Oh, adn the charging system isnt working. Generator seems to be ok. I did polarize it, and I did motor it as per the electrical manual, so Im sure its in the regulator

And there is a squeak. I dont know from where. I took a hose and used it to listen all around the engine and I cannot find wher it coming from. Pulled the belt for a few sec to listen again and its still there. I dont have the clutch linkake hooked up, and the axles are hanging as well. I cant pinpoint it.

Anyway, gonna tackle that stupid fan in a day or 2 and go from there. Vids below.

Start and run

Squeak

Date: September 13, 2020 07:25PM

Aaaaand, we're back. Ill adda link below to the engine squeak thread. Long story short, one cylinder had pits in the sealing surface, nothing that looked like it would be an issue. But apperantly it was. Small compression leak. To add to the issues after the first start, the fan was just kissing the shroud, and the generator wasnt working. So...

New cylinder fixed the leaking issue. This was cyl #4. On Cyl #3 the intake lifter is a little noisy, only sometimes. GOnna let it be for a bit see if it quiets down. If not ill deal with it. It hasnt been run since 1984, so it may quiet down after a bit.

When I swalled the cylinder I heated up the crancase cover and dropped the bearing in about 1/8 inch. Perfect clearance now.

Generator I checked with a meter, couldnt find anything wrong. Studied all teh delco wiring/generator/regulator manuals. Realized I hooked up the armature and field wrong, derp. Got that switched around, polarized it again (got a proper spark this time) It works and works well.

So, finally I can move on to pulling the rear control arms to do the bushings, repack the rear bearings, then rebuild the rear brakes. Then the front bushings and ball joints, bleed the brakes.

Then get on the throttle cable. I have a morse cable but im not sure its gonna work. The way the linkage pulls its not a straight shot, it needs to have some pivot in there, and while the morse cable does have some pivot, the cable end is pretty rigid. To avoid it hanging under the truck too far Im not sure the angle of the cable will work. Gotta play with it a bit.

Engine squeak thread

Happy engine vid

Date: September 15, 2020 08:32PM

More progress. Rear suspension rebuilt, new control arm bushings, shocks and brakes. Front end rebuilt. Bushings, ball joints shocks and brakes. Yanked the subframe cause you cant get the upper arms out otherwise, and well im not sure why, but one of the bolts went in from the top. In this truck, you cant get it out. If I had to I could cut the head off and it would fall out. But only thing I can figure is the bolt was put in on the assmebly line, then the sheet metal for the cab floor put in? I have no idea, its frekin wierd. Also all the balljoints and bushings are Delco Professional, the good stuff...not the cheep delco crap.

I also snagged some 3/32 cable from the hardware store. My throttle cable housing was in good shape, so I sprayed a bunch of teflon lube down the housing and slid the new cable in, frekin perfect. Just got to figure out the end up at the pedal. Ill post pics when I do.

Almost ready for its maiden voyage!!

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.