Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: 62 rampside rejuvenation!
Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: August 17, 2020 07:29PM

Yeah, wasnt sure guys are running 30wt like a VW or what. And as long as the oil is changed it will look super clean like that. My sister had a 95 Volvo 850 turbo. Used conventional in it, 20/50. Bought it with 100k on the clock, she put another 110k on it and a lifter started to tick. I figured it was full of sludge even though I did change the oil every 4 months or so. It saw a lot of freeway miles. I yanked the motor figuring a possible clocked oil passage, the motor was spotless inside, crazy lean for 210k on regular oil.

Anyway, heads torqued! I wont lie it was nerve racking. Slow and steady on teh torque wrench waiting for that beep at 30 ft lbs. I did it in 2 steps, 15 ft lbs and 30 ft lbs. But everything seemes good, no issues getting to that torque. And hte motor still rotated 360. I was actually aware of the stud hitting the crank issue and it all looks good. And of course, push rod holes up and valve adjustment preset. The hole in teh rocker with the side oil hole in teh push rod, haha, dog jumping through a hoop here. Im suprised they can get away with this, I would think the push rods would rotate. Ive seen em move on counteless small blocks when doing a vlve adjustment. Then again, a SBC this is not.

Started cleaning the front cover, gotta measure for the oil pump gasket. But so far so good. I think I might have it ready for the tin by end of the week.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 17, 2020 07:53PM

Pushrods will rote when engine is running.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 17, 2020 08:24PM

autocomman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oil...so many oil discussions. What's the consensus here in this forum. I use a 20/50 classic car oil in my bugeye sprite with no issues. Can't remember what brand. I would assume 20/50 should be fine for this motor, yes?

You are asking for opinions?
Opinions are like Belly-Buttons.
EVERYONE has one!
I would recomend that you go read the whitepaper by richard1, he actually DOES KNOW what he is talking about.
FACTS, not OPINIONS!
Link to > > > Richards Oil Reccomendations < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2020 08:29PM by American Mel.

Attachments:
Date: August 18, 2020 08:59PM

Movin right along. Front cover cleaned up, and oil pump clearance set. The gasket is so damn thin. With my luck it will leak...oiy. I hate thin gaskets like that. Anywah, front cover on, and bell housing cleaned up. I guess the thought process with the blue glue was more is better. Got all that junk cleaned up and bolted on.

Exhaust manifolds on too, not confident they wont leak...one just doesnt look like its sitting quite right..but its clean and snug so we will see what happens. Im runnign out of parts to install. Oil cooler next, and gotta go through the carbs, and deal with the fan bearing.

Got the generator torn down. Not much goin on there. Original bearings. Got a cheep kit, sealed bearing for the front, brushes and an oilite bushing for the rear. But honestly, there isnt much slop in the original bushing, and the oil sick inside isnt gummed up as evidence of squiring some brake clean down the oiling hole and seeing it bubble up in the wick, so Im gonna leave it. I also dont wanna even attempt to try and drive that old bushing out. Wicks and oil cups FTW (antique fan guy here heh) Thats all for now.

Are there any good ways to pick up the motor with a chain and engine hoist? Looks like I can grab it on the side of the head with the short studs, but dunno if it will be balanced at all...It would make it way easier to get off the table, and if I can suspend it I can handle the oil pan gasket too.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 18, 2020 09:09PM

Ring at top of bellhouing and rear mount.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 21, 2020 09:30PM

Generator done, that wasnt too bad haha. Onto the carbs...what a mess. Also, days into scrubbing oily rusty parts, so over it. I miss not having access to a solvent tank. Anyway, lots of junk in the carbs, rust, bits etc etc. All cleaned out pretty well. The inside isnt shiny, but all the bits and things that can come lose are out, nothing was plugged, just dirty.

And then one of the new accelerator pump cups had a frekin pinhole in it...and when I went to put it on, knowing id have to change it again, it frekin tore. So I cant even put the damn thing together to fire it up. So effing frustrating. Im walkin away from the project for a few days. Without the tin, not much I can do anyway...and Im honestly tired of scrubbing parts.

Date: August 21, 2020 09:30PM

Generator done, that wasnt too bad haha. Onto the carbs...what a mess. Also, days into scrubbing oily rusty parts, so over it. I miss not having access to a solvent tank. Anyway, lots of junk in the carbs, rust, bits etc etc. All cleaned out pretty well. The inside isnt shiny, but all the bits and things that can come lose are out, nothing was plugged, just dirty.

And then one of the new accelerator pump cups had a frekin pinhole in it...and when I went to put it on, knowing id have to change it again, it frekin tore. So I cant even put the damn thing together to fire it up. So effing frustrating. Im walkin away from the project for a few days. Without the tin, not much I can do anyway...and Im honestly tired of scrubbing parts.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 22, 2020 06:01AM

Richard1 has a paper on oils for the Corvair. He has some pretty compelling reasons why 20/50 and 30 are too thick for our engines. Mainly crankshaft clearances and cold start flow.
I've gone to 10/30 Rotella T4 is just about everything.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 22, 2020 10:40AM

Yeah, it'll either be delo 400 or the rotela t4. Effing annoying All I can find locally so far is 15w-40. Los angeles has become a disaster for finding anything useful. I have to drive an hour + half the time to go-to an electronics store, or to get crap like this oil, or it has to be ordered....just venting. What really ticks me off is that Accel pump cup. California corvair is only an hour from me, but that means 2+ hours on the car, again. I'd have Jeff mail it to me but with the state of the post office, which is a other chat we won't have here, things are taking an extra 3 to 5 days sometimes to show up.

Date: August 22, 2020 10:49AM

Funny, I keep hearing people mumble about the Post Office, but I have seen no drop in service quality from the distant past.
And I have been using them a LOT lately.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: August 22, 2020 10:17PM

It's really bad in la right now. The times did an article about it and well it's pretty disturbing. I personally prefer USPS for most stuff in the last few years. Stuff arrives quick and cheep. But the last few months, stuff that should come in Monday shows up Friday, consistently. Tracking always shows it sitting at some location in the city. One package sat in an LA location for 3 weeks. 1 month to get a small package. So it's really a crap shoot right now. It sucks but I'm just gonna have to make the drive. I just gotta figure out if there are any other little bits I'm missing so I only make one more trip lol.

Date: August 23, 2020 11:33AM

That sounds like intentional slow-down to me.
I just mailed a package from my Bordertown, down to the LA area.
I was told it would take 6 days.
It arrived in 4 days.
This entire postal issue is just politically created, pure and simple.
It AIN'T broken, and there is NO NEED to "fix it".

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: August 23, 2020 11:55AM

They have been understaffed for a long time here. Nothing intentional about this. Then cut funding just makes things worse. Don't wanna get too far off topic here. I fully support USPS, but a little reading material

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 23, 2020 11:59AM

"It's really bad in LA right now". I said the same thing 17 years ago. As far as an engine stand many of us thru the years stood the engine on its bell housing and just turned it as needed. You might have to take the exhaust manifolds back off to install the front shrouds. It is looking good (your progress).

Date: August 23, 2020 12:10PM

In the last 20 years just about everything in LA has gotten worse, more crowded, traffic has always been bad but places where it wasn't, it's worse. But for now I'm staying. Family, friends, and the business im starting I need to stay. I'm so very over the traffic, the inconsiderate people. And more than anything the housing prices. I grew up here and am so far priced outs the housing market it's stupid, and I'm only 39. 1.3 mil for a 1200sqft house that is updated with an extra room tacked on, on a medium small lot? Eff you. 2000 a month for a 1 bed, if your lucky! 2500 easy for a 2 bed. This city is a joke. When they say housing prices are dropping I laugh. They drop 100k, who cares ...untill they drop 50% they can eff off. Man I got riled up haha...been rough with a newborn, getting a business started and everything going on in the world.

Back to the car stuff. I hope I don't have to pull the manifolds again. But good info on the bell housing. I haven't pulled the oil pan yet. I wanna do that before tipping it up and having any junk sitting in the pan to fall into the cam gears. Once I do that I'll prolly tip it up. I should have the tin this week so it's been slow going. Gotta clean the oil cooler and put that on. And gotta clean the oil filter adaptor. Got the turn signals handled finally.

It was missing the nylon roller. Now that I have that in there the switch seems to center ok. When I got the truck the cable was u hooked and the switch screwed to the steering column so you could move it manually lol.

Date: August 23, 2020 12:20PM

PM sent.

Date: August 25, 2020 10:26PM

Well got a new pump cup to replace the one that split. Carbs put together and layed on the motor with the cleaned up linkage. I figured out why the filter adaptor had so much epoxy on it. Couldnt tell with all the crud on and in it, but well its obvious. Someone over tightened the fuel pump, which is why it felt loose to begin with and was covered with the sweet blue glue that was on eveything else. Actually found one not too far from me on ebay, go figure. Hopefully that will get shipped pretty quick and ill have that in a few days.

And who need a clutch alignment tool when the input shaft practially falls out. I love that. Clutch was near new, pilot and release bearing are perfect so Ive left all that alone. Machinig marks still just visable on the flywheel and pressure plate. Not evern fully broken in yet. Also replaced the U-joints.

Bummer on the oil adaptor, but not like its holding me up. I got the wrong points and dizzy cap too, dunno how that happened. Im guessing later dizzys had a clip on cap and points that had a longer mounting plate? I took a good look at the old ones, and they didnt have much wear on the points of the cap. Didnt take much to clean em up, everything on the old points are tight. Seems like it had a bunch of work done before it was parked and wasnt driven much after. So I reused the old stuff. It cleaned up like new with out much effort. I do have new plug wires however. Also the coil ohms out perfectly 1.5 ohms on the primary and 8k on the secondary. Gonna see how it runs on the old coil.

The resistor wire though, is that just in the section between the rear harness connector and the coil? It didnt run through the whole harness I assume right? The wiring is kinda hacked nad I need to fix it properly. Figured Id remove the resistor wire and replace with a ballast resistor.

[/url]

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 26, 2020 06:32AM

autocomman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Im guessing later dizzys had a clip on cap and points that had a longer mounting plate?

That would be the EARLIER 60-61 units you're describing. You're pictures show a 62-69 version.

Date: August 26, 2020 11:04AM

Ok, mine is a 62. Now I have to see if rock Auto will take stuff back after 30 days lol

Date: August 26, 2020 11:14AM

Points, condenser, cap, and rotor are all the same 62-69 (and fit many other GM 6 cylinder engines as well). Make sure you get an oil filter adapter plate for a van, truck, or station wagon up until and including 64. 65 is different and the car ones are different as well. You are right about the clutch alignment tool. All the stock Corvairs come with it.

Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.