Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT- Please give me pros and cons of these areas if you live in them
Posted by: briandowdy ()
Date: July 31, 2020 11:57AM

I have become extremely frustrated with my home state of Kommifornia. I have been fighting with the county for going on 5 months just to get my glorified 30 X 60 carport shop put up so I can really get to work on my projects. I am leaving Monday to Fort Wayne Indiana to take my son back to school and visit the wifes family around Marion and Muncie IN and to look at some properties I love the area and the people back there and may have opportunity to transfer job to Richmond IN.

Possibly able to transfer to Cleburne TX plant also. I love hot weather and humidity doesn't bother me that much. Not a huge fan of snow but can deal with it. Used to 4 wheel all the time in Northern CA mountains in it in my 72 K5 (which I still have and actually drove to Indiana in'98) when I was younger. Even looking at northern Kentucky.
Not too concerned with staying in same trade (industrial maintenance)
Kind of a jack of all trades but specialize in classic car restoration. Maybe a job at a high end restoration shop would make me really happy.

How hard is it to register classic cars in these states and if I pick up one there with no paperwork do you go to the county mounties to have them verified like here in CA? Do these states have yearly inspections? How about the car culture? Not to much into clubs but love shows and just socializing with car guys. Oh.. and airplanes also. Just picked up a Cessna 150

Just curious

Thanks Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT- Please give me pros and cons of these areas if you live in them
Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: July 31, 2020 12:31PM

You should go to the states DMV website and see what that states requirements are. License and registration fees in Idaho are very reasonable. I’m with you that I’d rather live in a state that is less restrictive. I lived in southern CA for 5 years starting in 2005 and the nice weather did not offset the cost of living there. Somebody must pay for all those entitlements.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 31, 2020 12:39PM

Texas varies depending on the place you live. Research property taxes. They vary a lot from city to city. My city tax in Northlake is 29.5 cents per $100. Less than one mile from here in Fort Worth it was 89.5 a few years ago but someone told me it is in the low 80s now. Lots of other taxes on property also. You will have to look into each property to see what taxes they have.

Antique cars with no titles require someone in law enforcement to verify the serial number or a state inspection and then a bond for the title. This also can vary depending on the county. Antique tags are around $50 for 5 years. Regular tags for an antique cost around $50/yr. Sales tax on cars is 6.25%. Sales tax on other things is usually 8.25%. Sales tax on cars 25 years old or newer is based on what they think it is worth not what you actually paid for it. You can easily buy a newer car and have to pay more in tax than what you paid for the car.

Some cities would never let you build a shop or they charge insane impact fees - think $15k or more. Other cities/counties don't even require a permit.
I have no experience with Cleburne.

I would attend some city council meetings anywhere I was thinking about living to talk to the mayor and council members and get a feel of where the city is going or better yet buy far enough outside a city that you don't have to deal with them. The areas surrounding cities that aren't in another city are often ETJ Extra Territorial Jurisdiction. Not quite as bad as a city but still subject to city permits and oversight. Some property has deed restrictions and others have HOAs Home Owner Associations that are far worse than the city and another layer and tax to pay.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: July 31, 2020 12:46PM

Brian,

Cleburne TX is a rural suburb of Fort Worth population around 30K. The weather will reach the lower 100's in July and August with moderate humidity, the winters may see a couple days of snow or ice each year, but generally this area of Texas is open year round for cars and aviation. The are several car clubs in the Dallas Fort Worth area, however there is only one Corvair club (NTCA). There are a few flying clubs in the area.

As far as registering a Classic car in Texas, you will need to have a one time safety inspection, then as long as the car is over 25 years old and you register it as antique, no more inspections required, if register as normal car then annual inspections are required. Also Antique registration is good for 5 years vs 1 year for normal registration.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: slow61 ()
Date: July 31, 2020 02:29PM

There's no shortage of industrial maintenance jobs in/around Richmond, IN. The town itself, like much of the mid west, has suffered under the heroin and methamphetamine epidemic. It's not far from Dayton, OH which has a pretty good Corsa chapter, from what I understand. Plenty of cheap homes to be had, but there is a considerable amount Urban decay.

Cost of living is low. Plenty of people build things like barns and garages without ever getting permits.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: July 31, 2020 03:13PM

More power to you. I have family in Indiana and Texas, even used to live in Texas, so I know that you're going to some good places.

Just one last pitch for California, but I'm not going to be offended if I can't change your mind:

A lot of people overlook the San Joaquin Valley, and the central part of the state. This is referred to as the Midwest of California. Most of the conservative legislation and propositions start here, and if they pass it is because they've had overwhelming support in this area. Practically all the Republicans that are left in the state Senate and House come from this area.

Very little permitting when you build something, I put up a new fence in our backyard, two fences actually, redid the lawn, and remodeled our interior, all without saying boo to the local offices.

Housing prices are comparable to the Midwest as well, ranging from 150000 to 350,000 for a good-sized home. Our weather is about the same as the Inland Empire down south.

Just a thought.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: August 01, 2020 07:17AM

Thank you for your suggestions.. I have been doing a lot of research into properties, taxes, job availability, etc.

I do have some requirements though wherever My Wife and I relocate and I also DO NOT have an unlimited budget (maybe if I got rid of some projects)smiling smiley

No HOA, 5 acre minimum in a rural area away from cities, preferably within 45 to an hour travel to a decent lake for my boat project (which I will reveal soon), and 30 to 45 minute travel time to a job destination (but not necessary, as long as I'm not in a city) I'm not asking a lot am I?...lol

Surprisingly, I have found some beautiful properties which meet most of these wishes.

I just want out which is sad for me because I do love where I live and I just finished building a house on my 5 acres that I've been on for almost 20 years. After they took our gold dredging rights and screwed me out of my claims that I had for 7 years I should have left back then but didn't. Everything here is about the money and the taxes they can take from you,,,and its getting worse.

And they wonder why everyone wants out.

San Joaquin valley is nice area but properties are very expensive when looking for land...much more reasonable in the east

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 01, 2020 08:13AM

I am a life long CA resident and it SUCKS.

Not going anywhere...just call me Gramps.

Wife's son just had a boy named Winston.

Being stuck in Paso Robles ain't so bad.

Suites my ideology and great weather.

Attachments:
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: August 01, 2020 12:31PM

Hi Brian,
Indiana state income tax is about 3 1/4%, counties can add a little more; state sales tax is 7%, unless you live in or around Indianapolis and have to pay for space cadet Irsay's toys; I live in a modest 1,400 sq. ft. ranch with a 700 sq. ft. detached garage, property tax is about $1,700 a year; registration for my '66 Galaxie is about $90 a year, newer cars based on market value. I don't believe there are any auto inspections unless you live up near the lake and gangland Chicago. Circle City Corvairs (Indianapolis) is a vibrant and active club, Richmond would put you about two hours away (barring construction on I-70, going on now), don't know about Dayton's club.

If you're familiar with Muncie and Marion, you know it can get hot and humid in the summer. Myself, the older I get, the less I can stand the heat, cannot imagine living in Texas. I can always put on more layers for the cold, only so many I can take off. After working in Oklahoma in 2012 for a year and a half, came back to Indiana for the winter of 2013, pictured, last heavy snow I remember. Last year, had maybe two snowfalls, neither were worth firing up the snow blower.

Here's a map showing a lake and reservoir near Richmond, and you'd only be about 90 minutes from the Ohio River.

[www.bing.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 01, 2020 12:32PM

No Problem - California has plenty of folks. We could lose a third and I would be happy. My hindsight is 20/20 - Glad we bought our house here 40+ years ago. My taxes aren't too bad. We love the weather and are both retired so traffic isn't an issue. Housing is expensive - but only if you are buying. If you are selling, that is a good thing! I envy Phils space and layout in Paso Robles. Close access to good health care has jumped up the priority list, as we have gotten older. Having grandkids nearby is a plus for staying. Several folks have moved to Missouri lately from the Northwest. Lots of semi-rural room and space to build. I do not know the job situation there. Good luck in your search.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 02, 2020 01:42PM

As a 45 year FORMER resident of the Golden State that left 15 years ago I have some insight on MY MOVE. If I had it to do over (I don't) there are a few things I might have done more research on. Our weather here in SW Colorado can be tough at times (Winters are cold and snowy[not every winter though- some/most are pretty mild] and summers are hot and dry and usually short{every summer}). We don't have great access to medical care being in a small town. We enjoy live entertainment-concerts- so we have to travel to see them (NOT THIS YEAR THOUGH). Our property taxes are real cheap but state income tax is not. Then we have our "hidden taxes"- cost of heating fuel and firewood in winter along with snow tires and AWD for our cars. These are just a few things in my life I should have researched more. But I do love living in the mountains of Durango and having 4 seasons. And I do miss living in the Los Angeles area-mainly my mom, brother, and friends that we don't see that often.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: August 03, 2020 07:32AM

A friend just left Oregon for your reasons. She is moving to Tennessee and says that it is very FREE and prices are great. Little government interference. Worth a look.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: August 03, 2020 07:51AM

One plus for TX is several active Corvair clubs.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Date: August 03, 2020 09:58AM

NTCA is great since I don't go often.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 04, 2020 09:24PM

"NTCA is great since I don't go often."

Uh, Joel - What does that mean?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 04, 2020 11:59PM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "NTCA is great since I don't go often."
>
> Uh, Joel - What does that mean?

I would guess that Joel is acknowledging his shortcomings. winking smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Harry Moore ()
Date: August 05, 2020 01:19AM

I recommend you take a look at as much data as possible.

Look at socioeconomic data, sentiment data, racial equity data, and consumer data. Here are a few links to datasets that can be useful:

Also look at a city's or county's general plan, this plan will tell you what the future city or county may look like. It will help you understand the different zoning as well.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Date: August 05, 2020 06:52AM

In Des Moines Iowa last night almost had front end of sons car taken off by old guy running red light while texting....guess he took lessons from a CA driver. Wife is commenting on how beautiful Iowa is while daughter is reading all the fun facts for the state. Fun trip...got a warning from Nebraska county mounty for going 4 miles an hour over the speed limit.

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: August 05, 2020 11:16AM

briandowdy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for your suggestions.. I have been doing a lot of research into properties, taxes, job availability, etc.
>
> I do have some requirements though wherever My Wife and I relocate and I also DO NOT have an unlimited budget (maybe if I got rid of some projects)smiling smiley
>
> No HOA, 5 acre minimum in a rural area away from cities, preferably within 45 to an hour travel to a decent lake for my boat project (which I will reveal soon), and 30 to 45 minute travel time to a job destination (but not necessary, as long as I'm not in a city) I'm not asking a lot am I?...lol
>

Sounds to me like you Just described Texas. Lots of Rural areas, plenty of lakes and property values are about 1/3 that of California, meaning your money will go a lot further here.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Date: August 05, 2020 02:40PM

I meant NTCA might not be that great if I was a regular attendee but I'm not so it is better.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.