Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
140 carb linkage
Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: July 29, 2020 09:42PM

I could use a favor. I'm assembling a new 140 engine & have a "basket" of carb linkage parts. Could some of you guys post some pictures of their secondary linkage on the engine ? Also, indicate if what you are showing is 1965 or 1966.
Thanks in advance. Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 140 carb linkage
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 29, 2020 11:53PM

Maybe this will help. Early and late.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 30, 2020 05:29AM

Can you tell us which crossover throttle linkage you are using? Is it the early 65 type pictured below that has a long curved bellcrank slot on each side used for engaging the secondary rods? That is a good place to begin to identify what you have.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: acardon ()
Date: July 30, 2020 05:50AM

Doug, I sent you the later style secondary linkage and crossover shaft with the spring loaded secondary links. Didn't I include a sheet from the parts catalog (page 3-13P) showing a close-up picture of the linkage? If not, I'll try to scan and post it.

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: July 30, 2020 07:56AM

Here is a scan of the linkage.

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Date: July 30, 2020 05:57PM

Thanks guys, for the fast responses. Don, I did get the illustration that you sent, but the scan here on the forum is much larger & easier to read. Dave & Seth, I now know that I have the later linkage. I don't have the slotted early type cross shaft. I mainly needed to know what the differences between the early & late designs were. Thanks for your explanations. I have the parts all mocked up on the engine I'm building & I can see how I assembled it incorrectly in a couple of places.
FWIW, I know that some of you will think I'm a little nuts, but I am also attempting to use 1961 manual chokes on my system. My 1st Corvair was a brand new 61 Monza & I really liked how the manual chokes worked. It will be cool if I will be able to use the manual chokes. I have all the parts needed to put in to my 65 Corsa, if I can get it all working on the mockup engine. Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180

Date: August 09, 2020 09:12PM

OK guys, I got my late design 4 carb linkage pretty well sorted out now on my mock up engine. AND, the 61 choke linkage is gonna work too. I had to make a couple of small modifications to the accelerator pump arms so the choke mechanism would clear it,& had to bend the choke brackets down for the same reason. To mount the manual chokes, I just cut the mount off of the 61 cross shaft to fit under the regular cross shaft piece that screws to the carbs.
This is an interesting project. If your'e interested in it, I'll keep you posted. Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 09, 2020 09:24PM

I would like to see some photos. .

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.