Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Non Corvair related: car inspection requested Morgantown, Pennsylvania
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: July 29, 2020 10:16AM

I correspond with a retired policeman who lives in Scotland. We both have BMW 700s, the microcars from the Sixties, not the big sedans from the end of the last century. He's recently decided to buy a 600, the middle child between the Isetta and the 700. Since only about 38,000 were built, he's had trouble finding a candidate to restore. Finally, one was located in Morgantown, but the dealership is selling with a bill of sale only, and the transport company is balking at not having a title. There's also been a problem authenticating the serial number. Here's the ad from the dealership:

[www.classicautomall.com]

My friend is wondering if anyone in the area would be willing to visually check out the vehicle, and most importantly, verify the serial number, for reasonable compensation. I've spoken to a salesman, and my friend and I have both been amazed at the lack of effort from both the company and salesman to facilitate this sale. Still, his heart is set on buying this car, so any help would be appreciated. Scott

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non Corvair related: car inspection requested Morgantown, Pennsylvania
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 29, 2020 12:08PM

Your friend may not want to hear this but if a CAR DEALER is unable to provide a clear title this may spell t r o u b l e. And not just "anyone in the area" can do vin inspections. I would probably start with contacting either their motor vehicle department and/or their police department or state police for assistance. I am surprised the dealer is of no assistance. Cute car but not inexpensive.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: July 29, 2020 12:50PM

As I understand it, the "Auto Mall" in Morgantown PA is an old closed up shopping mall that is now set up to sell used cars among other stuff.
They advertise heavily on e-bay with starting bids of next to nothing and continue to relist the same vehicles over and over since they usually don't meet reserve pricing.

My take is that they are advertising for the vehicle owners and taking a commission from the sale without ever actually taking title to anything.
I believe they are simply a "Middleman" in it for the money and offer no guarantee as to the accuracy of anything including description or condition.

Their unwillingness to offer any support for either the seller, or buyer tells me that due diligence on the buyer's part would be highly recommended.
I can absolutely understand a carrier's hesitation to transport a vehicle without acceptable documentation.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: July 29, 2020 02:45PM

Neat little car.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Date: July 29, 2020 02:51PM

Tim and C4L,
Thank you both for responding, both of your explanations and observations will be forwarded to Scotland, I know Alastair will appreciate both, also. As far as the inspection goes, I didn't explain adequately. Currently, the dealership is offering three different numbers; one sounds correct, but may have come from the engine rather than the chassis. If one could corroborate it is indeed the chassis number, I believe a notarized bill of sale might satisfy the shipping company, and the deal could be consumated.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: July 29, 2020 04:23PM

If it checks out in other ways for him, what about someone being a gopher for getting a new title from the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Department?

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: July 29, 2020 07:40PM

scottymac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I correspond with a retired policeman who lives in Scotland. We both have BMW 700s, the microcars from the Sixties, not the big sedans from the end of the last century. He's recently decided to buy a 600, the middle child between the Isetta and the 700. Since only about 38,000 were built, he's had trouble finding a candidate to restore. Finally, one was located in Morgantown, but the dealership is selling with a bill of sale only, and the transport company is balking at not having a title. There's also been a problem authenticating the serial number. Here's the ad from the dealership:
>
> [www.classicautomall.com]
>
> My friend is wondering if anyone in the area would be willing to visually check out the vehicle, and most importantly, verify the serial number, for reasonable compensation. I've spoken to a salesman, and my friend and I have both been amazed at the lack of effort from both the company and salesman to facilitate this sale. Still, his heart is set on buying this car, so any help would be appreciated. Scott

Scott,

Tell your friend to walk away if the dealer is NOT willing to get a title for him.

WHY - Every since 911 - the USA has a rule that you must provide a "TITLE" to any US border or US export location 72 hours before you are going to export any vehicle or boat out of the USA.
Without a title - they will not talk to you or export a vehicle.

I've had to deal with it firsthand with 15+ vehicles so far to date.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: July 29, 2020 09:13PM

When I lived in eastern PA my friend and I went to a salvage yard hidden from the public in the Reading area. The person bought up all the micro cars back in the early 70’s. Cars like the Isetta, Borgwards, Panhards, Subaru 360’s, DKW, and others I can’t remember. The one thing that struck me odd was he installed continental kits on several of these. Talk about bazaar! Had so much fun and learned a lot of history that day.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 31, 2020 07:06AM

I'm glad that is so far away. I love it!
I don't see a price?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2020 07:06AM by joelsplace.

Date: July 31, 2020 10:23AM

"Offered at $11,000."

This one's been restored:

[classiccars.com]

[www.hemmings.com]

Interest in microcars has exploded over the last 10 years! Some Messerschmitts have sold for six figures.

[newatlas.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 31, 2020 10:34AM

$49,500? That's insane.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.