Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Silly PG Question drinking smiley
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: July 28, 2020 12:13PM

OK, I know that for a long time we have seen posts about a Corvair with a "Push Button Shifter" controlling the Powerglide.

Some if these are from the 'great unwashed' who would not know a Corvair if it rolled on top of them! eye popping smiley

Many are "jokes" by those of us who get tired of people who actually think this existed. smoking smiley

My 'silly question' is "Has anyone looked into changing the Shift Valve Assembly to be controlled by solenoids, which would be controlled by electrical push buttons?" confused smiley

It would seem that this 'could' be done with some hard work. Either modifying the internal valving OR finding a way for a Solenoid to operate the internal valve AT the transmission, eliminating the "Shift Cable" going to the dash?

It is amazing what you think of when cooped up with this stupid pandemic! sad smiley

Something else to think about!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Re: Silly PG Question drinking smiley
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 28, 2020 12:38PM

It could be done. It would probably be much easier to setup a stepper motor or something to move the shift valve.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 28, 2020 03:02PM

I have heard anything can be done. I am hoping someone comes up with a Park gear for the Corvair PG in addition to adding a third forward gear.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: July 28, 2020 05:09PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It could be done. It would probably be much easier to setup a stepper motor or something to move the shift valve.

The simplest way might be to come up with a servo mounted in the tunnel to move a shortened shifter cable. It might have some "cool" factor if you did it, but in the great scheme of things, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. Sort of like fixing something that aint broke!

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 28, 2020 05:12PM

I wouldn't do it but if I was going to I would be wanting to eliminate the cable leak source.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: July 29, 2020 11:55AM

Thanks for the replies!

I am just looking for ways to clean out the Tunnel (I might have other things I want to put there)!

I think I have figured out a way to redo the Emergency Brake so I can eliminate the cable from under the dash.

Interesting what you can think of when stuck at home!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.