Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Adding a Temp Gauge/Sensor
Posted by: mashad11 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 07:21AM

The temp/oil warning light came on for the first time driving uphill on a hot day. It then turned off once it got cooler in the late afternoon. Is that anything to be concerned about?

What options are there to add an easy temp sensor/gauge to LM Monza so that I can see the actual temp instead of relying on the temp light?

Ali S
'67 Convertible - 110 PowerGlide
Los Angeles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 07:25AM by mashad11.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adding a Temp Gauge/Sensor
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 28, 2020 10:15AM

Ali, this is one of the most commonly used

[www.aircraftspruce.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 28, 2020 12:01PM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but those lights are red for a reason. If the light system is working properly (and it sounds like it is) you have probably severely damaged your engine. Red light for temp or oil pressure means you turn it off immediately. Not 5 seconds or 5 hours later.
It probably wasn't oil pressure since you would have a rod hanging out the side by now. If it was temperature the pistons are probably cracked from all the detonation that was assuredly going on running it that hot and the valve seats are probably about to fall out from the heads running that hot for that long.
Gauges are an excellent idea.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: July 28, 2020 01:33PM

After all of these years some snap switches snap at lower temps than they were meant to do. So the light could have come on to soon. Without a gauge there is no way to know. If the heads are deflashed and everything is clean there shouldn't be a problem with overheating.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: July 29, 2020 05:05AM

I agree with Rex, if it is an original snap switch it could be activating too soon. HOWEVER, I would get to the root of the problem, order new switch, make sure cylinder heads are clean and deflashed. If light comes on with new switch shut off immediately!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 29, 2020 07:32AM

If you want to add an oil temp gauge, I have done a tech tip, as yet unpublished, for the CORSA Communique. It is how and where to mount the sender, so that it can be mounted in as little as 20 minutes. I did a presentation for the last performance workshop that was held at the Decatur, Ill. Corvair museum location.

If you want, I could email the tech article. PM me. Here is a picture of the part in question, and its installation. Only issue would be that you need a little aluminum welding and machining done.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: July 29, 2020 11:32AM

I use a Dakota Digital CHT gauge in my '66 Corsa. It's good from 150* to 750*. The sensor mounts under a spark plug or an available cylinder head bolt. On my Corsa, I have it mounted where the stock CHT sensor screws into the head. You'll need the 18' sensor cable.

Alec
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Corsa Convertible Turbo 4-Speed
Restoration "In Progress"

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 29, 2020 08:02PM

Alec - Is it a type J or type K thermocouple? Do you have it in a ring terminal under a spark plug?

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: AlecCarlson ()
Date: July 30, 2020 03:43AM

Seth Emerson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alec - Is it a type J or type K thermocouple? Do you have it in a ring terminal under a spark plug?

Seth, I assume it's a Type K. It reacts to temp changes very fast and it has a good temp range for a Corvair. I got the 1/2" ring and I removed the stock thermocouple and bolted the ring onto the hole where the stock part mounts.

Alec
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Corsa Convertible Turbo 4-Speed
Restoration "In Progress"

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: July 30, 2020 04:10AM

A little addition to my above post about the tech article. Please include your email address.

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.