Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Powerglide detent too stiff?
Posted by: nicholas ()
Date: July 27, 2020 07:59PM

After getting the rebuilt and sealed powerpack back in my 67 and adjusting linkage it appears the detent is too strong. The trans has 65 style sector shaft which appears to have less leverage than the 67 90degree style shaft and lever however all other linkages appear the same between the 65 and 67. The issue is when adjusting per the 65 manual with the pedal on the floor its taking a significant amount of pressure, far too much I feel and is compressing the rubber bushings under the car on the linkages all the way. Am I missing something? Does the detent have to be pulled to the end of its travel or does it just need to touch it? All linkages are free moving, and the spring pressure on the detent is the same as a known good 65 pg I have sitting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powerglide detent too stiff?
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 28, 2020 06:28AM

I'm not sure what the question is. You need to revolve through detent when doing the adjustment. I think using up all the rubber squish in the bushing is normal but I haven't really thought about it. I think there's 2 different sizes of rubber bushing between EM and LM but I can't remember which is which or when they changed. Usually it's a matter of whether it will fit in the hole and still allow the plastic bushing to pass through.

Usually when I have trouble with the accelerator linkage it's on a 140 where it won't push the Secondaries open.

I still usually get the Service Manual out when adjusting the linkage. 61 varies from 65 a little regarding the throttle rod to crossover adjustment.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: nicholas ()
Date: July 28, 2020 04:01PM

It is the correct bushing and sleeve. The resistance is the same even without the rod from the cross shaft attached. If this is normal operation I fear stripping the splines on the pedal with regular wide open runs.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 29, 2020 06:53AM

nicholas wrote:

"All linkages are free moving, and the spring pressure on the detent is the same as a known good 65 pg I have sitting".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping someone else would respond as I'm not sure I'm helping.
I believe putting a spacer under the pedal is meant to make sure wide open throttle is accomplished before the pedal is all the way to the carpet.
If I need to check what's going on at wide open throttle in the back I put a 2 x 2 between the throttle and steering wheel. I have a series of them between 27 and 30" which I normally use when bleeding brakes.
There's a stop on the bellcrank to keep the throttle linkage from going too far.
I'm just sort of casting about here as I still don't understand what the problem is especially with the above comment that the spring pressure on the detent is similar to another transmission you have.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.