Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1964 Corvair wont fire up.
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 27, 2020 04:18PM

Try putting a points plate back in with points and condenser. Set your dwell angle to 33 degrees. Could your new Pertronix be faulty? If you have correct timing and firing order, good gasoline, and compression- THIS THING WILL FIRE UP AND RUN.
And where are you located?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 27, 2020 04:38PM

I meant to also say "good ignition" THIS THING WILL...
Forget that this is a Corvair and work on it like it is a car from the 60s. Very basic. BTW my spark tester is a spark plug plugged into a plug wire. Aftermarket coil?

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: July 27, 2020 05:10PM

Do you have a tach hooked up? Disconnect it from the neg terminal of the coil. They can short it out.

P.S. Not the problem, but pull some of the black and red Pertronix wire out of the distributor, so it doesn't rub on the cap.

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 05:15PM by acardon.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: July 27, 2020 05:39PM

MattNall Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------

> Had one last year that one of the keyways or crankgear was 90 out! Same scenario!

I believe the same is true with my '61. I left the Distributor semi loose and advance it as it's trying to start, then look for the sweet spot. Worked for me. I also removed the Pertronix and went back to points.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 27, 2020 06:22PM

new spark plugs gaped at .35

Only the 95 horsepower engine is a .035" gap. All others are .030" gap. But I doubt this is your current problem. It should still fire up.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: July 27, 2020 06:42PM

And so what about the way the Ignitor is connected? I've been wrong on the Corvair connections before, but I thought that the Ignitor-I needs the 12v to the Red wire, but the ignition coil still needed to use the ballast resistor. Correct?
And that looks like an older coil, so could perhaps be stock? Someone asked if it was aftermarket, but either way I would think knowing what the coil's ohm rating is would indicate which wiring scenario should be used.

With some setups, would it not be necessary to feed the coil through the original resistor wire, while sourcing ahead of the wire for the Ignitor to ensure the full 12v?

Sorry if that's incorrect for this setup, but every time I see the Red wire connected to the coil positive I think about it.

And yes, since there seems to be spark at the plug wires, the Ignitor and ignition coil would seem to be working as well. But nothing "normal" explains why the spark would make it to the end of all six plug wires, but not pass through any of the six plugs.

Paul

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 27, 2020 07:41PM

The ground strap is missing on the Pertronix.
All of my Pertronix 1 units are connected through the resistor wire and they run fine.
Disconnect the Pertronix from the coil and then intermittently ground the negative side of the coil. It should be able to fire a plug that way. If it can't you have a bad coil, wire or low voltage to the coil.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 07:46PM by joelsplace.

Posted by: imautorepair ()
Date: July 28, 2020 12:31PM

put in a new coil tried again still no spark at the plug only for some reason. i found when the rotor is on a point it will send spark to the plug fully but when turning the engine over no spark at the plug. installed a new ground strap to the engine block also to ensure proper grounding is there.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 28, 2020 01:39PM

Must be a bad Petronix? How to test it instrutions are in our FAQ's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: imautorepair ()
Date: July 29, 2020 09:45AM

So I Ordered a stock distributor with points and will post what happens after installation. Thanks for the assistance guys

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: July 29, 2020 09:56AM

i found when the rotor is on a point it will send spark to the plug fully but when turning the engine over no spark at the plug.

That sounds like the rotor is out of phase with the module. It's firing when the rotor is between the towers on the cap.

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Date: July 29, 2020 11:59AM

We hope you are able to figure out what your issue is. Please post the solution for our library. That may help someone else down the road. Many of us have spare parts. That is why I asked you "where are you located". Sometimes our spare parts are helpful in diagnosing tough unusual problems. Buying parts to diagnose is 1 way to fill up your shelf. At least mine- I seem to never guess right.

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: July 30, 2020 01:22PM

imautorepair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> put in a new coil tried again still no spark at the plug only for some reason. i found when the rotor is on a point it will send spark to the plug fully but when turning the engine over no spark at the plug. installed a new ground strap to the engine block also to ensure proper grounding is there.

Make sure there is 12 volts at the coil, WHEN the engine is turning over.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 30, 2020 03:15PM

There won't be. Battery won't put out 12V with the starter load.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 30, 2020 08:07PM

Joel
There won't be. Battery won't put out 12V with the starter load.

Hence why this resistor and bypass during cranking was invented. So the coil sees the same input voltage when running or cranking.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: July 31, 2020 10:18PM

Is the resistor wire still installed? If the coil and pertronix are feed voltage through the resister wire (which is normal for the coil only in the run condition only) then the pertronix will receive ~9 volts when current is flowing. This is marginal at best (ask me how I know). The tricky part is that when current is not flowing, 12 volts will be read at the coil because its the current flow that causes the voltage to drop from 12 to 9 volts.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Date: September 14, 2020 07:56AM

I wonder what the issue was for this poster imautorepair. I sent him a PM asking him to post the solution but never received a reply.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.