Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front Suspension Question
Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: July 25, 2020 01:48PM

Quick question. Is there a spec on the distance between the washers on the front suspension strut rods? How far should you compress the large bushings on the ends of the strut rods?
Thank You in Advance for the information.
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front Suspension Question
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 25, 2020 01:53PM

Between the metal washers is a metal tube. When you have tightened down both nuts, the metal tub (hidden inside the two rubber pieces will be clamped solid. For racing, we sometimes shortened the tube, allowing a tighter grip of the rubber, in essence stiffening the caster/reaction rod response.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: July 25, 2020 02:02PM

Thanks. Tighten to stops, Ok.
Figured but decided to ask.
Joe

Posted by: RKF ()
Date: July 25, 2020 06:04PM

The assembly manual specifies 50 - 75 ft lbs on the outside nut.

Knoxville TN

1962 Corvair Rampside
1963 Corvair Spyder Convertible (project)
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 26, 2020 11:30AM

If you paint the threads with never seize before installation, it will make it a lot easier to adjust in the future, and will prevent rust formation inside the steel tube that is inside the rubber parts. I brushed neverseize on all the threads, to keep them from rusting in the future. Never seize will repel water, and protect the parts from rusting for a number of years, before it is washed off by the elements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: July 27, 2020 05:53PM

Went together well. Yes I am using never seize on all threads that will be subject to removal or adjustment.
Thanks for the input
Joe

Posted by: Beach House Guru ()
Date: July 30, 2020 07:56PM

Just be cautious w the anti seize
Lesson learned on my part - not a corvair lesson but a lession - i was installing the cam belt sprocket/gear on a VEGA back in the day. Large diameter grade 8 bolt - torqued to maybe 80 ft # anyway igave it a liberal coat of molycoat (molybdinum disulfide) slippery stuff stretched that bolt about 1/2" and never got to 50 ft #s
Anecdotal but a lesson well learned by me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.