Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Billet Cartridge Fan Bearing Hub
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 24, 2020 07:29PM

Regardless of what engine is in your car you still have a very nice, sought after, fun car to drive and cruise around in.
I am willing to bet the majority of Corvairs these days DO NOT have the original engines. I know most of mine don't. I also know 99+% of the population neither knows this fact nor would care. Most just enjoy seeing the car on the road, at the gas station, or in a car show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 24, 2020 07:35PM

Tim: my Coupe has its original engine. But it will come out to put in a slightly more powerful 164ci. Was a 110 will be a 130-140 range on 2 carbs.

Enjoy the turbo you have. Get the top cover issue resolved and get back to driving fun.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: July 24, 2020 10:11PM

I can’t blame him for being upset. It’s lame to have the the wrong motor in your Corsa or other high cost Corvair. Like Al wrote, enjoy the car (until you can find a nice RL block to build to improve the car).

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: July 25, 2020 12:47PM

According to Sedman, it’s a 62-63 block. He was able to tell by looking at a picture I sent him of the rods and crank. Couldn’t find the number on the right head. It is either obscured by grime or hidden behind the exhaust. As nuts as it was to get those thermostats and doors installed, I don’t ever want to take them off again If I don’t have to. As stated, I’ll make some bushings that’ll fit into the 5/16 holes and make the fan fit the smaller screw holes in the bearing housing and pulley. Then, all I have to do is replace to top cover with a LM one. If I’m so inclined later, I’ll build a Frankenstein 180 block from parts.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 25, 2020 03:34PM

As has been said here before Daniel the 62-63 turbo is more sought after by some turbo racers. And I suspect you don't really concern yourself with originality as you talk about Webers, wastegates, safeguards, and other HP items. It's your car. You don't need to please anyone but yourself. I would still put the 65-69 top cover, fan, fan bolts, and pulley on it though. This stuff is pretty easy to find and not very expensive. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Date: July 27, 2020 10:43AM

Made some brass bushings yesterday to salvage the fan, so I'm just waiting for the new LM top cover to arrive and I'll be back in business!

Timothy--You are correct. In one way, it's a disappointment, but on the other hand, I'm not destroying a pristine car that is becoming a rare-ish with cartoony mods. Is the reason EM turbo blocks are liked by some because of the shorter stroke and requisite quicker/higher revving?

Another odd question, Does anyone here have any advice on how to incorporate the crank case breather into the K&N filter I have on my DCOE? I was thinking to drill a hole in the cover, above the primary that is the size of a 1/2-3/4" filter inlet, affix the filter on the inside with a 90 elbow on the outside so I can run a hose behind the carb and down to the PCV tube. Is there a more simple solution? I usually come up with something that will work, but there's always someone who has done it before who helps to clear away the clutter of inexperience.

Daniel

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: July 27, 2020 11:36AM

Daniel
Another odd question, Does anyone here have any advice on how to incorporate the crank case breather into the K&N filter I have on my DCOE? I was thinking to drill a hole in the cover, above the primary that is the size of a 1/2-3/4" filter inlet, affix the filter on the inside with a 90 elbow on the outside so I can run a hose behind the carb and down to the PCV tube. Is there a more simple solution? I usually come up with something that will work, but there's always someone who has done it before who helps to clear away the clutter of inexperience.

this recent discussion might help
understanding the PCV system

Date: July 27, 2020 11:47AM

Thank you! I'll transfer it over there and see what shakes out.

Daniel

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: July 27, 2020 06:24PM

jazzworkerbee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Another odd question, Does anyone here have any advice on how to incorporate the crank case breather into the K&N filter I have on my DCOE? I was thinking to drill a hole in the cover, above the primary that is the size of a 1/2-3/4" filter inlet, affix the filter on the inside with a 90 elbow on the outside so I can run a hose behind the carb and down to the PCV tube. Is there a more simple solution? I usually come up with something that will work, but there's always someone who has done it before who helps to clear away the clutter of inexperience.
>
> Daniel

Here's how I did it...
Its a plastic PVC fitting (I think) that I modified slightly, and I got it either from a hardware store or FLAPS. The fitting is held in place via the hose on the other side, as the fitting has a hose barb end... push the hose on the barb tight, and the hose holds it and seals it... I thought this was going to be a temporary deal until I found something nicer, but never did...

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Attachments:
Date: July 27, 2020 07:40PM

Thank you! So I don’t need a filter? In that case, the back and to the side is the way to go.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: July 27, 2020 07:40PM

Thank you! So I don’t need a filter? In that case, the back and to the side is the way to go.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: July 27, 2020 08:47PM

You need a filter!!!!! I took it off to take the shot of the fitting. The other little detail is you will need to put a longer section of hose on to the existing crankcase vent line to connect it at the air filter. The only other possible spot that will work is to position the fitting between the throats of the carb and down a little, but will probably work better if the fitting is angled

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: July 27, 2020 09:34PM

Got it! So, the original plan is still in play. My filter and housing is a lot smaller than the one you have.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 27, 2020 11:36PM

Unless I am mistaken, you two are talking about two different filters.
Daniel is talking about a small filter INSIDE of the Airfilter, and Kevin is talking about the actual Airfilter.
Dan, no additional filter is needed, other than the Main Airfilter for the engine.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: July 31, 2020 01:14PM

You are correct. I found a cheap air/oil separator that I'm going to experiment with, but I won't know the results until the engine is running again. While installing some new (to me) Ieco valve covers, I noticed that my heads have six bolt holes. That means early right? I have attached a few pics of the connecting rods and left head.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Attachments:

Date: July 31, 2020 07:41PM

jazzworkerbee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are correct. I found a cheap air/oil separator that I'm going to experiment with, but I won't know the results until the engine is running again. While installing some new (to me) Ieco valve covers, I noticed that my heads have six bolt holes. That means early right? I have attached a few pics of the connecting rods and left head.

Not necessarily, some people like the extra security of six bolts, and have drilled and tapped the bosses over the years.
You really need to check the head numbers.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: August 01, 2020 02:31PM

OK. I'll try to get the number off the passenger side head to see if I can find the number when I get a little time.

I just replaced my bent steel oil pan with a vintage Offenhauser piece and a deep, Otto pickup. The stock pickup was pretty snug in there and the Otto is kind of loose. I have seen other references to this issue on the forum, but I couldn't see if it's a common problem, if I should ignore it or if there are fixes such as a viton o-ring or flaring the inlet tube. Still new to this stuff and I'm concerned that the loose fit will squander oil pressure.

Thanks,

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: August 01, 2020 05:33PM

No Pressure in the pick-up tube.
It is Suction.
If it is loose, you would squander oil pressure out of it, but you may suck in some air, which is NOT GOOD either.
Then you won't be building pressure.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: August 01, 2020 05:49PM

I’m not too enthusiastic about tining the end of the deep pickup but I do have solder and a torch, so I’ll start figuring out what will work best with what I have. If not, I’ll just go back to the stock, shallow pickup.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: August 01, 2020 07:06PM

I have the solution for this as I have late model fan bearings that have been milled down to fit an early top cover. These were done By Dan Junkman Heckel who passed away about 6 months ago. They are $35 plus shipping
John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.