Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Trashed engine? - dumbass move
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 14, 2020 06:34AM

Can't wait to see a photo with the top cover and oil diffuser removed? It ought to be interesting.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: July 14, 2020 08:32PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't wait to see a photo with the top cover and oil diffuser removed? It ought to be interesting.

Tick..., Tick..., Tick... - Sort of like when we all waited through the Summer to see who shot J.R. Ewing. Kind of sad though that the drama comes at another's expense. I guess it is human nature that we rush to see tragedies and when we get there we turn our heads.

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: July 15, 2020 12:25PM

Im sorry that happened to you! Hope you are doing ok now.The good part of all this while the powertrain is out you can do alot of things while your at it. I pulled my 66 Corsa powertrain and was able to accomplish alot of things. Good luck with the job!

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: July 15, 2020 03:44PM

If you didn't let the clutch out then what ever happen6wqs prolly coincidence. You would have known if you let the clutch out in 2nd doin 55mph, that's a noise you don't forget...wahaaaAAAAAP then boom, not just boom...and it would have jerked the car a bit too.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 15, 2020 08:22PM

autocomman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you didn't let the clutch out then what ever happen6wqs prolly coincidence. You would have known if you let the clutch out in 2nd doin 55mph, that's a noise you don't forget...wahaaaAAAAAP then boom, not just boom...and it would have jerked the car a bit too.

Totally locked engine and clutch out would have resulted in a rear wheel (or 2) locked slide at 55. that would not have been fun at all. I spun a bearing once in a Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser at about 30 MPH all the sudden both rear wheels locked up and started skidding (had posi rear end) I got the clutch pushed in just before the rear end tried to come around into the lane to the left of me and managed to brake and steer back straight just before entering the intersection I was approachingsmiling smiley not fun at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: July 17, 2020 08:23AM

Not saying this is your problem, but years ago when I had the 64 Fitch Sprint when turning onto my street my car locked up, would not turn over, turned out to be a valve seat stuck between piston and head
Gene Barr
Eustis Fl.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 17, 2020 08:53AM

Once you find out what it is, I suspect the final damage will be less than it would have been if the engine had been connected to the drive train via the clutch.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: dedwinson ()
Date: July 18, 2020 09:04AM

Sorry for the delay. Been super hot and humid for weeks here with the mornings being the only time to get out and I work so can't get out without sweating to the oldies.

It's bad, but not horrible, I guess. The rod cap snapped right at the bolt locations. now this may be from a slightly bent crank based on the look of the bearing surface if found in the bent to hell bearing in the bottom of the block,

the cap broke off, rod fell below crank and wedged itself preventing the crank from turning. Was a time bomb waiting to go off,

Other than a chip out of the cylinder skirt it doesn't LOOK all that bad. Certainly a rebuild in order,

Since this was my first rebuild of an engine, I think I would like a PRO do it this time. Anyone in MN around the TwinCities willing to give it a crack, or maybe have a running engine for sale?

Dave Edwinson
Doing Vairly well in Minnesota
'66 Vert 140HP

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 18, 2020 09:14AM

jim Brandenberg near you and a pro.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2020 09:17AM by MattNall.

Date: July 18, 2020 10:23AM

Crankshaft has to come out and go to a machinist. Show him the photo so he knows what he is working with. More than just a polishing there.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 18, 2020 12:12PM

Thought you would find something big like that broken. Sorry for your trouble but now you know what it was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: July 18, 2020 04:42PM

What would cause this? Just metal fatigue?

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: July 18, 2020 04:48PM

I would venture a guess either improper torque or damaged previously near bolt holes and still was used. Sloppy bearing wouldn't take it that far. I have to assume he would have heard the bearing knock and stopped driving it.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: July 18, 2020 06:51PM

Certainly a pre damaged rod cap is possible. Wouldn’t have known when I put it together to look for it or even how to look for it.

I did torque everything to specs so improper torque isn’t an issue.

Hearing a sound? Um driving in a convertible always top down, relatively loud engine drone really made it near impossible to hear anything odd. The car had a sound more similar to a big V8 which is something I was trying to tone down.

The bearing I found showed heavy wear. Keep in mind I used all new bearings when I put it together. Wear was down to the copper layer just in one area where the most stress would have been. My guess is I had/have a bent crank I didn’t see originally that put way more stress as well it spun around. Evidence the photo of the bell housing gasket that appears torn on one side. A wobbly crank would put more stress to cause a tear.

Dave Edwinson
'66 Vert 140HP

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 18, 2020 09:13PM

Are you sure the rod isn't bashed into the camshaft or crankcase below?

Sometimes a rod bolt breaks or comes loose, sometimes a rod breaks from a crack at a stress point.

It would be unusual if that crankshaft can be saved. I don't put much effort into them since I have a few.

I'm glad to help but I'm pretty backed up.

I did take a 140 engine in on trade recently. The guy who built it has passed away. It came with verbage like pride and joy; balanced and blueprinted; hot cam... Hard to tell what's inside but the heads are down on the studs a bit. It wasn't a good fit for the 53 Ford Roadster with a Powerglide.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Attachments:
Date: July 18, 2020 09:39PM

If you are up for parting with the 140 let me know. Can’t be any worse than what I have.

Dave Edwinson
'66 Vert 140HP

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: July 19, 2020 12:03PM

dedwinsom - Did one or both of the rod nuts come loose?

I took apart an engine once that had the copper showing on the bearings just in the middle - odd. Then I checked the bearings and crank. The crank had been cut, BUT standard bearings were installed on the rods. Very loose, and I was amazed it never blew up. The crank journals were badly damaged, beyond saving.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a spun bearing.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: July 19, 2020 02:28PM

"It would be unusual if that crankshaft can be saved. I don't put much effort into them since I have a few."

Do those close to you think you can be "Cranky" at times? smiling smiley

Cool that you have a distributor machine. I've always wonder what happens when people put light weight springs in their distributor, set the initial timing at idle and then have little advance left because the weak springs have caused the weights to fling outward taking up available travel for advance. In essence the weak springs result in retarded full advance.

Date: July 20, 2020 07:16AM

The little bit of experimenting I did with different parts on the distributor machine did not produce the results I expected. I've just never found the time to experiment. Maybe this winter...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: July 21, 2020 07:19AM

It's hard to believe but Dave has other things to do besides disassembling his Corvair engine.

He's going to pull the heads when he can get back to it in order to figure out if they're stock pistons or something different and/or bigger. That sort of dictates whether to try and save anything. Compression and oil consumption was good before the big event.

I'm not much for reusing stock pistons but we'll just have to see what he's got to work with there. Once you start buying pistons and boring cylinders and working on rods the cost goes up significantly.

Also significant cost is head work. Since the piston apparently did not travel up when set free the heads might be okay.

I would expect the crankcase was bashed by the rod so is unusable. I guess the camshaft remains to be seen. If it's an 891 I would probably go to something else just on principles but of course at this point I'm just a gentle reader as well.

With a crankcase, crankshaft, cylinder and rod he might be able to be back in business. Probably more would be prudent but it's all conjecture at this point. Also none of my business really.

I've got a few empty crankcases. I don't know if he needs a whole core engine but of course that's not my call. There's certainly lower priced stuff around than what I have to offer.

When going with new pistons I always have the rods Magnafluxed after I balance them. Although uncommon the metal can fracture beginning at the stress points where sharp edges occur. It's one of he things you do as a matter of course and sometimes you wonder why because they hardly ever find anything... Same thing with having the rods checked and reconditioned if necessary. Of course there's still the loose nut theory.

I'm just going on the photo and a few follow-up questions. I'm like Quincy where I love a good autopsy but we'll just have to wait patiently for some results.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.