Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: NEW BEE
Posted by: lgonzalez ()
Date: July 19, 2020 12:36AM

andddd last ones!

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 19, 2020 06:02PM

I see a couple of improvements you can do for the cooling system. Install the summer/winter cover on the left rear shroud (it is missing). Also as A Mel points out, the hose is missing at the firewall. I would make sure there is a cover of sorts on the front of the upper fan shroud.at the oval shaped outlet. This shroud is pretty rare (A/C cars used this type) but it also is a little challenging to seal that up (much easier on the more common shroud). Your oil cooler would benefit from both side covers. I bet this still has the original A/C engine as I see it also has the 24 degree rear housing tab. Al is right, your vacuum advance should be on "ported" vacuum. It is hooked up to manifold vacuum. Finally, you don't want to take it to just any shop/mechanic. You want a knowledgeable "Corvair person". There are a few near you.

Posted by: lgonzalez ()
Date: July 19, 2020 07:13PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Thank you to the both of you! I did some research in regards to who can help me with it and I read it Calfornia Corvair Parts. I guess I’m just skeptical to drive it there since it’s a 35 almost 40 minute drive there. (Suggest a tow truck?) I’m really hoping to get her up and running as soon as possible.

> I see a couple of improvements you can do for the cooling system. Install the summer/winter cover on the left rear shroud (it is missing). Also as A Mel points out, the hose is missing at the firewall. I would make sure there is a cover of sorts on the front of the upper fan shroud.at the oval shaped outlet. This shroud is pretty rare (A/C cars used this type) but it also is a little challenging to seal that up (much easier on the more common shroud). Your oil cooler would benefit from both side covers. I bet this still has the original A/C engine as I see it also has the 24 degree rear housing tab. Al is right, your vacuum advance should be on "ported" vacuum. It is hooked up to manifold vacuum. Finally, you don't want to take it to just any shop/mechanic. You want a knowledgeable "Corvair person". There are a few near you.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 19, 2020 07:44PM

California Corvairs can TOTALLY fix you up.
OR
There may be a forum member who is nearby that may be willing to assist you to get some of these things done.
I noticed also that you have a flimsy Foiled Paper, Clothes Dryer Hose under your car that is being used as a Heater Hose.
That should also be replaced.
Next time you are out in the garage, clean-off the engine serial number and let us know what it says.
It looks like it might end with RK (1965-67, A/C, PG, 110hp), but I can't tell for sure.
It looks to me like the passenger side head has been replaced at some point in time, so who knows what other things have been done to your engine.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 19, 2020 08:23PM

AL
Manual tranny balance tube is installed instead of correct 2 port balance tube. Single port has been tee'd off to provide for vacuum advance and PG modulator. Terrible set up for the vacuum advance, I believe.

That IS an automatic balance tube. Manual balance tube only has PCV system port, no small port.

Al is right, your vacuum advance should be on "ported" vacuum. It is hooked up to manifold vacuum.

This is the BIG problem, as now you have Vacuum Retard instead of vacuum advance. This can also be part of the over heating problem. Best just to disconnect the vacuum line from the distributor for now. Plug it (the line, not the distributor) with a golf club tee or stick.

Also, where does that braided hose from the PCV system go? Just open to the air? It needs to go to the air cleaner assembly to work properly, see PCV system discussion in another thread.

Great looking car! A little sorting out and it should be a fun car.

Two stock Rochester HV carburetors with stock air cleaner assembly and throttle linkage should go a long way to improving driveability.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: July 19, 2020 09:22PM

I agree that the VA should be hooked to a ported vacuum port but the only time that this set up would be different from a stock system is at idle. Once you are off idle both ways of suppling vacuum to the dist. would be the same. I'm betting that the Weber doesn't have a ported vacuum port.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 10, 2022 10:24PM

Lolly has been driving and thoroughly enjoying her Corvair for a couple years now, and as Mark M has recently reported, she has been written up in the Wall Street Journal!

Link to that thread here, . . . . > > > LM in the Wall Street Journal - feature article < < <

Way to go Lolly ! ! ! thumbs up cool smiley thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 11, 2022 09:14AM

Lolly,

I just sent you a PM message here with information on a local Corvair mechanic that I know personally and you can trust.thumbs up
One thing about owning a Corvair, is the fact that most every general vehicle service mechanic's out there, truly have no idea how to "properly" service and repair Corvair's. Our little car's are just too specialized and it's easy to spend lot's of money with poor results having someone unfamiliar with Corvair's attempt to do proper maintenance and repairs.hot smiley

You have a fun little car there to enjoy. smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Monzaguy110 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 10:33AM

Welcome and congrats on the car. I have had mine over a year and am still finding things that need doing. They are fun cars and a great hobby. Lots of smart folks on the forum to help if you get stuck on something.

1965 Monza Convertible

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: July 11, 2022 11:57AM

Hello Lolly, Welcome to our Corvair world. I live in Orange, Ca. ( near Chapman Ave & Main st. I have a '65 Corsa, which is a step a little closer to an upgraded Monza. I see that you have a 2 bbl Weber carburetor. My car is a turbocharged model & I have been running that same carb on it. It's a great carb but was designed mostly for racing. = poor mpg. I also have a '62 Monza convert that will be in the starting efforts of restoration soon.
We have an active club right here in Orange ( Vintage Corsa ). We meet on the 1st Sat. of each month at Zito's Pizza at the corner of Tustin Ave. & Meats st. 11 Am South Coast Corsa is a larger group , very active,but a little farther from you. Please plan on being my guest to our next meeting on August 6th.
I have been involved in Corvairs since 1960 & have owned about 10 of them. I look forward to meeting you & swapping stories too. My tel.# is 714-624-9044. email is dougward2@socal.rr.com

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: July 12, 2022 09:39AM

One thing you have already found out by posting here is that there are a lot of very smart people on this forum and you will get a long list of suggestions to help make your Corvair more enjoyable and safe. But that’s why you came here right? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

So here’s another observation and suggestion for you:

Seems I saw you say something about the tires getting worn. In the photos from the WSJ article, it looks like your rear tires are tilted out at the bottom. This is another very common thing to happen on a 1965 Corvair. Probably you will need some new lower control arms installed, and have the suspension adjusted so that the tires are aligned. That will help with the tire wear issue for sure!

Keep having fun with your Corvair. As you know, they are fun and unique.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: July 12, 2022 09:07PM

Lolly, your car used to have a factory A/C system. See the 2 cut off pipes at the right side of the front shroud ? just to the right of the PG dip stick.Those pipes go to the front trunk area just forward of the dash board, & would connect to the A/C evaporator. You also have the air outlets in each side of the dash & one in the center, above the radio.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.